PDA

View Full Version : Favourite tip up pike bait

tonypower
01-06-2017, 07:01 PM
Just picked up some bait from TNT for my tip ups tomorrow. Just wondering what you guys lean towards when targeting pike on tip ups?

FlyTheory
01-06-2017, 07:10 PM
Herrings :)

huntsfurfish
01-06-2017, 07:14 PM
Large herring would be good. Large suckers 6"-8" and even 10-12 inch.:)

Mitchthefisher
01-06-2017, 07:23 PM
Herring for sure

pikeman06
01-06-2017, 07:50 PM
Yep. Roger that on the Herring. Big super fresh flash frozen smelt is my next choice. The smelts that people fry up and eat.

Angler
01-06-2017, 09:56 PM
Smelt from Superstore, cheap, like 3 bucks per pound.
Works just fine.
Thinking of trying to catch my own bait this winter.

PlayDoh
01-07-2017, 06:01 PM
I was in Victoria a few times this summer and grabbed like 40 pounds of herring for around $10. About 6 or so in a vac sealed bag.
Vs the $12 or more for each bag from a bait freezer out here. I might try dying a few to experiment with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tfng
01-07-2017, 07:22 PM
I was in Victoria a few times this summer and grabbed like 40 pounds of herring for around $10. About 6 or so in a vac sealed bag.
Vs the $12 or more for each bag from a bait freezer out here. I might try dying a few to experiment with.

What kind of shape are the herring in? Good fins, scales etc? That's a good price.

WayneChristie
01-07-2017, 08:03 PM
Large herring would be good. Large suckers 6"-8" and even 10-12 inch.:)

tried a 12 inch sucker last week, I had pike of all sizes coming in and staring at it for a couple days, then finally ended up catching maybe a 4 pounder with it. kind of a waste, I kept taking it away from the smaller ones but that one was too quick

PlayDoh
01-07-2017, 08:33 PM
What kind of shape are the herring in? Good fins, scales etc? That's a good price.

They were probably caught the same day I bought them. They are bright and shiny. From the net to the ice then sealed back at harbour.
The sockeye I bought was like twice the price as all the herring I got, lol. I cleaned out their freezer then buddy asked me if I wanted more, and grabbed some from the back.

PlayDoh
01-07-2017, 08:37 PM
I cut some of the herring up and caught a couple dozen rockbass out there too, although I was after a lyng cod.

Kings
01-07-2017, 09:01 PM
Smelts works all the time for me. Occasionally herring.

genno
01-08-2017, 06:10 AM
What do you guys use for hooks to hold your bait on tip ups? I usually use pickerel rig but that only seems to work in murky water for pike.

pikehunter1989
01-08-2017, 08:09 AM
What do you guys use for hooks to hold your bait on tip ups? I usually use pickerel rig but that only seems to work in murky water for pike.

My favourite way to set it up is use a size 4 or 5 treble and than push it up through the belly till the eye comes out and trebles are still sticking out a bit. Than just hook it to a snap swivel. I position it so it sits in a slight nose down position

anorthernhunter
01-08-2017, 12:49 PM
I have a comment and a question ...

Comment: I have had good success using a smelt and a "two treble jack rig" ... red trebles with a wire on each that leads to a loop ... one treble in the eye, the other treble in the tail and suspend the bait horizontally under a tip up.

I have also had good success using a jumbo minnow on a pickerel rig.

Question: I have had ZERO success using a large smelt or herring using the same set up above ... I have no idea why ...

Question: What do you think about salmon belly scraps and trimmings suspended on a pickerel rig?

Question: What about salmon belly scraps and trimmings presented horizontally as per above ... my concern is that it doesn't look like a fish ... but should smell good and give off some oil.

Thoughts???

-Northern

TylerThomson
01-08-2017, 01:28 PM
When you say no success do you mean you aren't getting any bites or they are biting it but you are having trouble seeing the hook

anorthernhunter
01-08-2017, 04:24 PM
Tyler:

I haven't gotten one hit on herring ... not one, but have been doing well with
smelts or minnows.

I have almost given up on herring ... herring on the "two treble jack rig" presented horizontally under a tip up.

If you boys are getting some more hits on herring ... I will give it another go.

Thoughts ... herring vs smelts.

Anyone try salmon belly etc?

shell_guy
01-08-2017, 05:12 PM
Tyler:

I haven't gotten one hit on herring ... not one, but have been doing well with
smelts or minnows.

I have almost given up on herring ... herring on the "two treble jack rig" presented horizontally under a tip up.

If you boys are getting some more hits on herring ... I will give it another go.

Thoughts ... herring vs smelts.

Anyone try salmon belly etc?

Caught 3 on large herring yesterday, 2 treble jack rig.

NSR_RAT
01-08-2017, 06:05 PM
Caught a 28 inch pike on herring yesterday at wabamun, although I have noticed the pike haven't been very active at all on the tip ups this winter compared to last winter.