PDA

View Full Version : Central Alberta Float Trip??

jrs
04-08-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm looking at planning a few float fishing trips in central and northcentral Alberta this year. I found a few different river reaches that look tempting, just trying to figure out how much river i can plan to float in a day in a canoe. What would you guys think for a river like the Red Deer, lower Clearwater, McLeod or Pembina? I was thinking a 10-15 km section would probably be about right for a 12-15 hour day stopping and fishing regularly. Or is that biting off a bit much? Thanks for any comments, i love to find some of that water that doesn't get fished too much.

tjcartmell
04-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Let me know when your planning to float a section of the Red Deer. I kayak fish and I'm always looking for guys to shuttle vehicles for put in and take out spots with. Last fall Iactually paddled 2 miles upstream from the 54 bridge to upstream of the treatment plant and then slowly worked my way back. I managed 2/3 of a slam (whitefish and brown trout) but could not get the walleyes to bite that day. PM me if you want to exchange contact info.

Tim

MrDave
04-08-2009, 08:19 PM
There are a couple of nice floats. From the bridge west of Innisfail to the bridge west of Penhold, will take about that long if you hit all the holes. The other quick stretch has a put in West of Innisfail, and if you fish the stretches it will take about 8 hours, you can float it easily in 5 without paddling. It is west on 54 till you cross the Medicine river and go south on the next county road. Decent hand launch but not much of a trailering spot. From Dickson dam down to Innisfail, is an early start trip, to hit all the holes in a relaxed manner.

simmered
04-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Last summer a friend and i took my canoe down the mcloed river from the eagle river campground on hwy 32 to whitecourt. Lots of fishing spots along that section for sure. Only thing is on a nice day there is a lot of tubers on the river.

jrs
04-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks guys, i see Dickson to HWY 54 (west of Innisfail) is about 24.5 km, so gives me an idea of length to aim for. Think i'd probably cut that in half and stop to fish all the big holes and wood piles hard.

simmered,
neat to know, i haven't fished that low down on the McLeod at all. I'm thinking of floating it south of Edson this summer to find some of those elusive grayling. Buddy of mine that used to live in Whitecourt said there was always lots of tubers down that way, I've found the same thing on the Red Deer on hot days as well.

Anyways guys, appreciate the comments.

fishpro
04-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Be careful floating the Clearwater, I've never fished it, but have read that it can be a dangerous river to float.

MrPaulR
08-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Hello I am looking for a multi day float and fishing (Not fly-fishing) trip in alberta (central-southern). Any help on this topic is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, P