PDA

View Full Version : My go to fly

fluxcore
04-08-2009, 08:21 PM
I though Id post a pic of my go to fly while Im tying 20 or so. I got this pattern from a buddy that swears by it and now I do to, its east to tie and works. Its always the first fly on my line and can end up staying there for weeks. I have no Idea what trout think it is, any guesses? but thay hammer it:D I fish it with a strike indicator just off bottom.

Sbrooks
04-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Ya, that's a strange one. Don't have a clue though what they think it is.

Thanks for sharing

elnino54
04-08-2009, 09:49 PM
My guess would be caddis nymph. Don't know about the white post though.......

lipripper
04-08-2009, 10:02 PM
I agree,A caddis nymph,but that white post make no sense to me.

Kingfisher
04-08-2009, 11:34 PM
If it represents anything at all it might be a caddis coming out of it's casing. But I think it might just represent a quick meal.

I still can't believe they would even concider that.

Rob

duffy4
04-09-2009, 08:57 AM
When I first saw this thread (before opening it) I thought about what my "go to fly" was. It used to be a "muddler minnow" fished dry or wet. Or a weighted "brown hackle". The brown hackle is just a bit of brown tail, a few wraps of lead wire then peacock herl body and some brown hackle tyed back. It ties quick and easy and looks similar to the fly pictured with out the white wings. It imatates a bug to eat, which is something trout are usually looking for.

Alliman
04-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Wow !! What is the body material, and the hook size ? Thanks

fluxcore
04-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Wow !! What is the body material, and the hook size ? Thanks

Its a no.8 hook the hackle I believe is called crystal chenille, I like the responses especially kingfisher's:lol: The fist time i saw this fly used was on the Raven and I laughed at it, untill it started hooking fish after fish and if youve ever fished the raven you know how hard it is not to spook the fish let alone catch 2-3 out of the same hole:huh: the fish just cant seem to resist It "I honestly think it pises them off"

Kingfisher
04-15-2009, 02:17 AM
My old man used to have a fly that he got from another old guy. It looked like a piece of crap. So he called it his ***** fly. He always asked me to tie him up an extra half a dozen each year. So I did. They really looked like crap. But they worked.

So Fluxcore, I have no doubt it will work. I just don't have a clue why.

Doc
04-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Ya, the post on a cone head fly has me somewhat confused:huh: But whatever works.

Cheers,
Doc