PDA

View Full Version : White-tails breeding season length

LeonH
01-08-2017, 06:36 PM
Tonight on the way home (leaving Edmonton on highway 28 just a bit north past Anthony Henday overpass and before that other overpass immediately to the north of it) I saw three deer standing on the very edge of the highway. It looked they are just waiting for an opportunity to run across.

So as I get a bit closer and pass them by I finally comprehend what I am seeing. One deer just standing calmly with another one completely mounted on top of her. the third just standing not two feet from the other two all facing the highway.

How unusual is this in just about mid January?

Dubious
01-08-2017, 08:38 PM
Third rut. The yearlings are now in estrous.
http://www.bonecollector.com/deer-hunting-phases-of-the-rut/
I have a late season cow elk tag and i seen a pile of bucks chasing does like crazy today. Just read that page my self and it seems to fit.

3blade
01-08-2017, 08:59 PM
Yep. Lots of food and warm start to winter this year so many will achieve the necessary maturity/weight.

That's also why you see fawns with spots in September sometimes. Late born as a result of late breeding.

crownb
01-08-2017, 09:21 PM
Yep. Lots of food and warm start to winter this year so many will achieve the necessary maturity/weight.

That's also why you see fawns with spots in September sometimes. Late born as a result of late breeding.

I wouldn't say it's been a warm winter so far. But yeah you if the girls are in heat the boys will respond!!! On November 30th about 15 years ago we came across a cow moose with a calf that was no more than a month old.

greywolf
01-08-2017, 09:50 PM
I spotted 2 whitetail fawns with spots on November 4th this past hunting season. Have to say that was a first for me to see spots in November.