PDA

View Full Version : NSR carp

winged1
04-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Anybody can tell if there are carp in the Edmonton area. I'm talking European opposed to suckers. We used to catch bushels on the SSR but want to now if the NSR holds any, and in the Edmonton area.

buckmaster
04-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Anybody can tell if there are carp in the Edmonton area. I'm talking European opposed to suckers. We used to catch bushels on the SSR but want to now if the NSR holds any, and in the Edmonton area.

I dont think there are any in the nsr. Although there are many in few storm water lakes that i know of!:D

dave_ca
04-09-2009, 12:48 PM
there is, they are called buffalo carp also called quill back.Very long dorsal fin

buckmaster
04-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Winged, are you referring to "grass carp"?

winged1
04-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Actually, I'm referring to bear bait carp.

italk2u
04-09-2009, 03:54 PM
From the royal Alberta Museum Website:
The mainstem of the North Saskatchewan River contains a higher diversity of fish species than any other waterbody in the province. It is, in fact, a very productive system. The appearance of the water at some times of the year is due almost exclusively to natural processes.
Fish species one can expect to find in the North Saskatchewan River system from its headwaters to the Saskatchewan border include: Lake Sturgeon, Goldeye, Mooneye, Lake Chub, Pearl Dace, Emerald Shiner, River Shiner, Spottail Shiner, Northern Redbelly Dace, Finescale Dace, Fathead Minnow, Flathead Chub, Longnose Dace, Quillback, Longnose Sucker, White Sucker, Mountain Sucker, Silver Redhorse, Shorthead Redhorse, Northern Pike, Mountain Whitefish, Cutthroat Trout, Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout, Bull Trout, Eastern Brook Trout, Trout-Perch, Burbot, Brook Stickleback, Spoonhead Sculpin, Iowa Darter, Sauger and Walleye.

FisherPotch
04-10-2009, 05:43 PM
I've seen it writen somewhere that there are buffalo in there. Not sure if its buffalo carp or what but after googling it at the time I can say the are certainly not quillback. Lots of diversity in the NSR. But its a terrible fishery, not worth your time, go elsewhere.

brook trout
05-30-2009, 08:10 PM
well if theres trout in the nsr how come NO ONE cathes any in edmonton?!

catnthehat
05-30-2009, 08:18 PM
well if theres trout in the nsr how come NO ONE cathes any in edmonton?!

'cause they stay in the upper reaches?:confused:
Cat

~Octane~
05-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Wow how snotty. Anyway, brook trout, the NSR here in Edmonton is considered the lower reaches, slow moving water means warm water species...like walleye and pike. The upper reaches (around nordegg and on the west side of abraham lake) is a lot faster moving and colder, it has the cold water species like trout. Hope this helps.

wake
05-31-2009, 01:19 PM
In and around the Edmonton reaches you can catch the Quillback carpsucker, not a member of the sucker family or the actual carp family.

click the link for the picture,I have caught a few around Goldbar.

Quillback picture.
http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://pond.dnr.cornell.edu/nyfish/Catostomidae/quillback.jpg&imgrefurl=http://pond.dnr.cornell.edu/nyfish/Catostomidae/quillback.html&h=530&w=1000&sz=312&tbnid=O6Wz5KqHMDcT8M:&tbnh=79&tbnw=149&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dquillback&hl=en&usg=__eOm38ueJPAUk8Aojp-QYLz7Ssew=&ei=M9giSoPULojGM5XA6K8J&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image

Jorg
05-31-2009, 02:37 PM

Are you sure you were catching European carp in the south sask river, I've been fishing it for years and have never seen one dead or alive. As far as I know both the north and south sask rivers have the same fish species

kostianych
05-31-2009, 08:33 PM
as far as I know, the closest to Edmonton/Calgary European Carp can be found in the Last Mountain Lake, Sask.

Smokey
06-01-2009, 01:41 AM
Ive heard that trout, mostly rainbow are caught up to Genesee Bridge on 770 is this true? Also rumour has it that the odd Salmon has been caught in the North Sask?

blackpheasant
06-01-2009, 02:03 AM
Ive heard that trout, mostly rainbow are caught up to Genesee Bridge on 770 is this true? Also rumour has it that the odd Salmon has been caught in the North Sask?

Halibut and Tuna too....:lol::lol::lol::lol: