PDA

View Full Version : Calling Lake Ice

tangledangler
01-15-2017, 09:24 PM
Does anyone have an update on the ice at Calling Lake? I have never been but I have read previous posts about sketchy ice on that lake.

archercurt
01-15-2017, 09:37 PM
If your unsure and unfamiliar with the lake, take a sled and walk your things out. Safest bet anyway.

Angler
01-15-2017, 11:32 PM
If your unsure and unfamiliar with the lake, take a sled and walk your things out. Safest bet anyway.

Agreed.
Been to Calling last year and the year before, no need to risk and drive, if you ain't sure, just walk out couple hundred meters, find 8 fow, start fishing, they will bite.

Last year's trip (https://youtu.be/9S3JG-4yCvg)

lund17
01-16-2017, 08:45 AM
Ice was 24" thick at the north end on January 1, 2017.

Sooner
01-16-2017, 10:37 AM
Fished Calling lots, ice heaves were the biggest safety issue that i ever heard of. This lake and Slave are the ones I always bring a auger extension too, just in case lol.

Not meant to derail but I have always wanted to sled to and fish VW point on the south shore. Tried once in a snow storm, just went back to the launch and fished there, tried twice and the top water was horrible, my son was younger at the time and having a hard go keeping the old yammy sled on top so back to the launch to fish.

Aprox how far to VW point from the main boat launch at the south side campground? See trucks bombing out that way all the time but lose sight of them pretty quick.

Thanks

Mike_W
01-16-2017, 11:05 AM
Does anyone have an update on the ice at Calling Lake? I have never been but I have read previous posts about sketchy ice on that lake.

Beware of the river that enters the lake this creates thin ice several hundred yards out as it is only a few feet deep.

yetiseeker
01-16-2017, 02:47 PM
Fished Calling lots, ice heaves were the biggest safety issue that i ever heard of. This lake and Slave are the ones I always bring a auger extension too, just in case lol.

Not meant to derail but I have always wanted to sled to and fish VW point on the south shore. Tried once in a snow storm, just went back to the launch and fished there, tried twice and the top water was horrible, my son was younger at the time and having a hard go keeping the old yammy sled on top so back to the launch to fish.

Aprox how far to VW point from the main boat launch at the south side campground? See trucks bombing out that way all the time but lose sight of them pretty quick.

Thanks

I'd guesstimate 7 or 8 km's. Maybe a little less.

Mayhem
01-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Anyone know how much snow cover?

I'd guesstimate 7 or 8 km's. Maybe a little less.

I seem to recall it being closer to 10 Ks or so. You may be right tho.

gthorpe
01-17-2017, 09:37 PM
Was out at Calling a week ago and ice was 30-36 inches thick. Easy driving as snow has blown off most of the lake. Access from boat launch in Provincial Park. Very few ridges.

Mayhem
01-21-2017, 10:34 PM
Glad we brought the quads. Fished this lake for quite a few years and never seen so many pressure ridges, large cracks and broken up/re-froze sections. Didn't measure thickness but suffice to say the Stikemaster got a workout moving around the lake trying to find fish.

Bite was sporadic at best, walleye either under or over the slot with only one for dinner.