PDA

View Full Version : grotto pond ice fishing??

Claymaker
01-16-2017, 09:11 AM
drove by grotto pond yesterday and saw few people ice fishing?

anyone ever ice fished it? had any luck?

ive fished in summer and its fairly shallow.. curious about how it is through the ice.

TROLLER
01-16-2017, 10:08 AM
Tried a few times but never had a bite or saw a fish on the camera.

Pretty sure it is totally fished out by end Sept.

Bemoredog
01-16-2017, 12:20 PM
Yea, no first hand knowledge during the winter, but I imagine it has to be pretty fished out before ice is on.

It could be nice to ice fish but would likely require aeration and restocking in Sept/Oct. It does have an underground spring (so I've heard), but that might not be enough to overwinter any fish.

chucklesthe3rd
01-16-2017, 05:48 PM
Its been good 4 me 5 trout on sinking powerbait(got from USA)

Bemoredog
01-17-2017, 09:15 AM
Its been good 4 me 5 trout on sinking powerbait(got from USA)

Yea, I've caught there in summer--but you're saying you've caught here in winter? Very interesting.

Claymaker
01-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Yea, I've caught there in summer--but you're saying you've caught here in winter? Very interesting.

yes was down there yesterday and saw bout dozen holes all on far left side opposite to the highway. decent amount of water on that side lake from the holes tho, Im curious to try it but ended up heading to spray instead

TROLLER
01-17-2017, 01:53 PM
you would have a tough time convincing me of anyone catching trout through the ice.

They release a few thousand and they are caught within a few weeks. Drilled a lot of holes on that little pond and never once did one swim by my camera or sound off on the fish finder.

Bemoredog
01-17-2017, 02:25 PM
you would have a tough time convincing me of anyone catching trout through the ice.

They release a few thousand and they are caught within a few weeks. Drilled a lot of holes on that little pond and never once did one swim by my camera or sound off on the fish finder.

Yea, I think it gets about 800 fish, twice a year during spring, summer.

Flieguy
01-17-2017, 09:12 PM
one of the many potholes within a couple hours of calgary that gets fished out pretty quick. Watch the stocking reports, when those locations get stocked in the fall they're good for ice fishing, otherwise generally they're very slow

Bemoredog
01-18-2017, 09:11 AM
one of the many potholes within a couple hours of calgary that gets fished out pretty quick. Watch the stocking reports, when those locations get stocked in the fall they're good for ice fishing, otherwise generally they're very slow

Only stock pond I know of "close" to Calgary that sees fall stocking is Chain Lakes. For most others it's just in the spring.

Flieguy
01-18-2017, 09:30 AM
Only stock pond I know of "close" to Calgary that sees fall stocking is Chain Lakes. For most others it's just in the spring.

some years they have stocked others in the fall

Bemoredog
01-18-2017, 11:59 AM
some years they have stocked others in the fall

It'd be nice if this became more common. But I'm sure they have their reasons.