PDA

View Full Version : Eskimo Shark Fail

tangledangler
01-20-2017, 10:12 AM
So I was out on Gull fishing Tuesday and while drilling my last hole of the day the bolt holding the auger to the motor shaft sheared off right at the end of the hole and down went the auger..... I have not been a big fan of the unit to begin with (Eskimo Shark 8') and am considering my options. I either buy the part for $200 or upgrade to something new. Any suggestions?

fish_e_o
01-20-2017, 10:40 AM
go swimming

Supergrit
01-20-2017, 10:58 AM
Good magnet might get it up

Stinky Buffalo
01-20-2017, 11:32 AM
Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

Good magnet might get it up

Yup! Sounds like a trip to Princess Auto might be in order.

Did you mark the location so that you can readily find it again?

I'm thinking that I should wrap a pool noodle around my auger shaft in case that happens to mine... Hmmm... Wonder if that would work...

EZM
01-20-2017, 12:46 PM
If that was a new purchase (or recent) I would be looking for Eskimo to warranty that and buy me a new auger flight and bolt. Hopefully the input shaft wasn't damaged.

Eskimo has been good to me on warranty.

tangledangler
01-20-2017, 02:28 PM
No I didn't mark the spot and don't really feel like spending an afternoon searching when I could be out fishing! When I bought my auger they were only offering 2 year warranty and that has expired. I have an email into Eskimo to see what they will do for me. I will most likely end up buying the part and suck it up or invest in a new auger all together. Has anyone ever experienced the same thing? If its a common issue I might just say screw it and get a Jiffy!

Stinky Buffalo
01-20-2017, 02:42 PM
Nuts, that's too bad!

Oh well, on the plus side, now there's some new structure on the bottom of the lake. :sHa_shakeshout:

iYearn
01-20-2017, 04:51 PM
Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

Yup! Sounds like a trip to Princess Auto might be in order.

Did you mark the location so that you can readily find it again?

I'm thinking that I should wrap a pool noodle around my auger shaft in case that happens to mine... Hmmm... Wonder if that would work...

I just have a wood disk 1.5" larger than the auger and it just rests on top of the highest screw of auger.

I've never had my auger blade drop off on me so it hasn't tested (thankfully) while drilling a hole.

Sooner
01-20-2017, 05:05 PM
Unless your hours away, i would be back, circle drill around the hole it went down in and try to recover. Even though trying to pull up something that large and with no real connecting points to hook onto may be tough. At least you can still fish while you try to retrieve it :) Tough luck to have it break in the first place.

chain2
01-20-2017, 07:38 PM
ya,,, my bolt wiggled loose as well so I drilled out the threads and used pto pins instead,,, plus i made a extension that pops on off in seconds... also build a strong magnet out of a old subwoofer coil. no pic handy but simply drill a hole thru the center and add a eyebolt. i put a lil wing fin on it as well so it cruises out in a large circle while jigging, its crazy but i heard it clamp onto steel in 10' water...good luck

gulfman
01-20-2017, 08:36 PM
how many feet of water? sucks it happened but if under 10' worth a little time to save a few bucks. Camera and long painters pole might do the trick where you at?

Kim473
01-21-2017, 06:39 AM
how many feet of water? sucks it happened but if under 10' worth a little time to save a few bucks. Camera and long painters pole might do the trick where you at?

Can even lasso it with a small rope and camera. Camera, rope, magnet painter pole and 1 hr. I would have marked the spot.

zyphrus3
01-21-2017, 10:21 AM
ya,,, my bolt wiggled loose as well so I drilled out the threads and used pto pins instead,,, plus i made a extension that pops on off in seconds... also build a strong magnet out of a old subwoofer coil. no pic handy but simply drill a hole thru the center and add a eyebolt. i put a lil wing fin on it as well so it cruises out in a large circle while jigging, its crazy but i heard it clamp onto steel in 10' water...good luck
I made and extension with a guy I work with that is similar to the one you made. We didn't add the stopper and drilled a few more holes so you could collapse it and leave it on. It works great.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Game Hunter
01-21-2017, 11:10 AM
Give them a call. You would be surprised, I asked for a pull start recoil from them for backup. It's in the mail.
Although Ive got a feeling mines abit worn haha too many holes. Good to have a spare one of those guys. Great company to deal with, great product!