PDA

View Full Version : 51cc Rapala Enduro cutting issues

Cdiegomcduff
01-23-2017, 04:59 PM
I bought the Enduro 2 years ago and for the most part it has been okay. Mind you my first day I pulled the cord on the ice and it snapped right then and there on the ice. Fired up fine in the garage prior to, so confident in my new piece of machinery I didn't bring out my spare hand auger. It turned out there was a small bur on the inside of the coil. Second the gas on and off switch busted 3 outings ago when I went to switch it on there was slight resistance and from the cold it snapped. Stuck on so I continued to use it that day and choked it out when I wanted it to shut off. Now I am having problems cutting, Its just not the same from my first year. There is slight chatter and takes a while longer, I checked the angle of the blades, also replacing both with a new 10" set. Is this an issue with most power augers with the cutting by chance? I have looked it up and down with a magnifying glass and there just seems to be something off. I heard of guys cutting pop cans and sliding them in as a shim. Would like to hear some other opinions or stories maybe I am missing something. Not my first time using a power auger but my first time owning so I can tell the difference when there is a lack in performance. Thoughts?

neilsledder
01-25-2017, 05:39 PM
You got smooth or serrated blades? I never had smooth blades but always hear the serrated cuts way better. Maybe try a set of serrated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trophybook
01-25-2017, 06:23 PM
Dirty ice or you set it down to hard on the ice. Both will wreck your blades

EZM
01-25-2017, 06:45 PM
What happened to your auger? .......... Rapala went public 10+ years ago and the new management team has "globalised" ..... meaning the once high quality premium products are now cheap crap made in Asia.

They are now acquiring high quality companies and destroying the quality, albeit improving profits, by moving manufacturing to Asia as well.

They used to have the best knives, lures and tackle ..... now it's mediocre at best.

That ..... and .....(assuming the blade is actually sharp and installed correctly) - likely the cone/angle has changed in some way causing the critical cutting angle to have changed.

Bemoredog
01-25-2017, 08:29 PM
It could be a blade issue. It's surprising how sharp the blades need to be to cut properly. And all it takes to dull them is a little bit of sand & grit.

The rattle sounds like the blades aren't properly set against the auger backing, so using tin from pop cans would work to shim properly otherwise the angle will be off. Might also be the auger shaft itself. Is the connection on the auger shaft to drive shaft loose? Is the drive shaft itself somehow loose?

Hope you figure it out. Minor things that cause major issues are the worst.

lromanchuk
01-25-2017, 08:49 PM
What happened to your auger? .......... Rapala went public 10+ years ago and the new management team has "globalised" ..... meaning the once high quality premium products are now cheap crap made in Asia.

They are now acquiring high quality companies and destroying the quality, albeit improving profits, by moving manufacturing to Asia as well.

They used to have the best knives, lures and tackle ..... now it's mediocre at best.

That ..... and .....(assuming the blade is actually sharp and installed correctly) - likely the cone/angle has changed in some way causing the critical cutting angle to have changed.

One could say the same about Jiffy. My buddies 20 year old Jiffy puts my 4 year old Jiffy to shame. North American parts are now made in China and I wonder why my Auger is mediocre at best.. It's a shame.

trouty
01-26-2017, 06:32 AM
Put eskimo in that pile of garbage as well. Plastic junk.

SammyIam
01-26-2017, 08:06 AM
One could say the same about Jiffy. My buddies 20 year old Jiffy puts my 4 year old Jiffy to shame. North American parts are now made in China and I wonder why my Auger is mediocre at best.. It's a shame.

Won't have to worry about that much longer apparently with Trump in office....:sHa_shakeshout:

Cdiegomcduff
01-26-2017, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the tips gents, I am going to have another look at the placement of the blades. Like I said brand brand new blades installed onto it, I will also check the shaft as well. Its like your always chasing that first cut dragon I guess haha.