PDA

View Full Version : Eskimo or Clam?!?

morinj
01-23-2017, 11:11 PM
Looking to purchase a ice fishing tent, not sure if m gonna go with Clam or Eskimo, does anyone know of any pros and cons, any suggestions, or feedback, any info would be appreciated, thank you!

bwackwabbit
01-23-2017, 11:29 PM
I would say Eskimo. I've owned 3 now and all excellent quality. I've had to deal w/Ardisam (the parent company) on several accessory orders. Let me tell you they go out of their way to demonstrate a commitment to customer satisfaction.

I've not had reason to seek warranty service. However I personally know several guys who have and the experience has been the same.

Buy with confidence.

Cheers,

Scott.

linger
01-24-2017, 01:55 AM
the only bad thing with these is they won.t spare about an extra foot of material on the carrying bag hard to get the tent in after a day of fishing.tents are good though.:)

jeffrey929
01-24-2017, 04:42 AM
Clam all the way!! Have had mine for nearly 5 seasons and it's bulletproof

JohninAB
01-24-2017, 05:25 AM
I prefer Eskimo insulated tents over Clam as the Eskimo does not let the light in like the blue Clam models and the Eskimo insulated models fabric seems beefier than the Clam fabric.

My 949i I used a tie down strap to cinch the tent up snug when going to put it away at the end of the day and had zero issues getting it back in the bag.

Do not think you can wrong with either tent though.

Scott N
01-24-2017, 05:35 AM
I would say Eskimo. I've owned 3 now and all excellent quality. I've had to deal w/Ardisam (the parent company) on several accessory orders. Let me tell you they go out of their way to demonstrate a commitment to customer satisfaction.

I've not had reason to seek warranty service. However I personally know several guys who have and the experience has been the same.

Buy with confidence.

Cheers,

Scott.

I'm going to second Eskimo's excellent customer service. I have owned a Quickfish 2 tent for years with no complaints, and last year I wanted to upgrade to a bigger tent. I bought a 949I tent, which I loved, but the fabric seemed just a little to tight for the tent to "pop" out like they are supposed to. A couple of people told me that the fabric would eventually stretch out, but it didn't after a season of use.

A couple of weeks ago I emailed Eskimo about this problem, with the idea that buying new poles might resolve my problem. Eskimo asked me to email them some pictures of the problem, which I did. I got a reply the next day stating that the seams had been stitched improperly, and even though my tent was past the warranty period, that they would be replacing it with a new tent. A few days later UPS delivered a brand new tent to me. I don't know how many companies would replace a defective problem AFTER the warranty expired, but Eskimo did for me.

gmathers2
01-24-2017, 08:51 AM
I can't say anything about customer service, but my clam has been great after two seasons. Nothing has failed yet, and the tie downs it comes with are a much better system as fas as I'm concerned.

HuyFishin
01-24-2017, 09:27 AM
i would get an insulated tent from Eskimo, the fabrics thick and feels very durable because of the layers. my non insulated just ripped and tore over time too easily.

Stubb
01-24-2017, 09:56 AM
I've owned an Otter and most recently an Eskimo. The Otter flip I have had for about 8 years and never have had an issue. The Eskimo I bought this year and 3rd time out two of the hubs broke while setting it up. It may have been partially my fault by setting it up wrong idk, it's not really rocket science. Eskimo replaced the hubs no questions asked which was nice but would've been better if they didn't break... I've heard great things about all 3 manufacturers but went with the Eskimo due to the replaceable windows which I don't think Clam offers. Otter pop ups also have replaceable windows I believe and it was going to be my second choice. I'm sure you'll be happy with any one of them.

Bushleague
01-24-2017, 03:22 PM
the only bad thing with these is they won.t spare about an extra foot of material on the carrying bag hard to get the tent in after a day of fishing.tents are good though.:)

My Quickfish 3i has plenty of bag. I've heard this complaint about Eskimo tents pretty often, but its just not true with the insulated version.

sureshot
01-24-2017, 03:41 PM
After dealing with Eskimo today I will never purchase another one of their products. Sent an email in regards to my poles being to long, and was told that because I couldn't find my receipt they will not help me. Even though they know it's and on going problem with their product.

Stubb
01-24-2017, 03:47 PM
After dealing with Eskimo today I will never purchase another one of their products. Sent an email in regards to my poles being to long, and was told that because I couldn't find my receipt they will not help me. Even though they know it's and on going problem with their product.

I had to call three times before I could get someone to talk to when my hubs broke a few weeks ago. I suggest phoning them, you may have to wait on hold for 15 minutes but it's a lot easier to tell someone "no" over email than over the phone. The guy that I ended up getting was really good and shipped them out to me right away. may be worth a try anyway.

sureshot
01-24-2017, 09:25 PM
I had to call three times before I could get someone to talk to when my hubs broke a few weeks ago. I suggest phoning them, you may have to wait on hold for 15 minutes but it's a lot easier to tell someone "no" over email than over the phone. The guy that I ended up getting was really good and shipped them out to me right away. may be worth a try anyway.

I did phone 4 times no one would answer. Left messages no call backs. For me it's more of the principle of it. They know there is a problem but wont address it. I will be buying Clam next year.

Scott N
01-25-2017, 05:09 AM

When did you buy your tent? I can understand why you're upset, but the majority of retailers is going to need some sort of proof of purchase to replace something.

Argo lover
01-25-2017, 09:01 PM
I have only used an Eskimo and no experience with the other brand. I bought a new 6120 insulated this year and love it. have used about 8 times now and no problems. Nice and dark inside with the windows closed. Easy and quick to set up and take down. Lots of room. Have used it at -25 and a howling wind and it worked great. Mr heater big buddy on high would roast us out. had to turn it down to medium. The only downfall I might say is the size of the door is a little small. once you get used to it and figured out how to use it it aint to bad. Me and family do enjoy the tent. I would recommend an eskimo.

SamSteele
01-25-2017, 09:40 PM

They asked me for a receipt as well but said even a credit card statement showing it would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZM
01-25-2017, 09:54 PM
I have both. The Eskimo is a far better tent overall with better/thicker and stronger fabric with a coarser thread, far superior anchors, way better zippers, vents and windows etc,,,

I do use the Clam more often, because it's larger, but there really is no comparison.

The Eskimo is better in the overwhelming majority of the things that seem to count.

My next tent will be a large Eskimo .....

morinj
01-27-2017, 05:36 PM
Thanks for all the info! Leaning towards the Eskimo!

sureshot
01-27-2017, 05:45 PM
When did you buy your tent? I can understand why you're upset, but the majority of retailers is going to need some sort of proof of purchase to replace something.

I understand what you're saying, but my issue is they know this is an on going problem with their product and they should stand behind their product. I could see if it was a one off kind of problem, but it's not. I bought the tent a few years back.

RavYak
01-27-2017, 06:06 PM
I understand what you're saying, but my issue is they know this is an on going problem with their product and they should stand behind their product. I could see if it was a one off kind of problem, but it's not. I bought the tent a few years back.

You didn't keep your receipt and are well past warranty what do you expect them to do about it. No manufacturer is going to help you out in such a situation, obviously the tent isn't that bad if you used it for a few years already...

Take the poles out and shorten them if you think it needs to be done.

chucklesthe3rd
01-27-2017, 06:32 PM
Insulated eskimo sled bottom tent.

pikehunter1989
01-27-2017, 06:53 PM

What Eskimo tent is this on?

sureshot
01-27-2017, 08:23 PM

pikehunter1989
01-27-2017, 10:32 PM
When did you pick that up? Thought you had gotten a flip over? I'm going on 3 years on mine and it's been used a lot and I love it. It's still in very good condition other than a small rip from my auger which was my own fault.

sureshot
01-28-2017, 09:40 AM
You didn't keep your receipt and are well past warranty what do you expect them to do about it. No manufacturer is going to help you out in such a situation, obviously the tent isn't that bad if you used it for a few years already...

Take the poles out and shorten them if you think it needs to be done.

My point is that they know their is an ongoing issue with this why not just stand behind their product. If it was any other issue yeah I would understand. I know if it was my company I would replace them, keep the customer happy so they buy more products. But now instead of buy the 9 man insulated for next season as I had planned I will be looking at otter or clam.

sureshot
01-28-2017, 09:43 AM
When did you pick that up? Thought you had gotten a flip over? I'm going on 3 years on mine and it's been used a lot and I love it. It's still in very good condition other than a small rip from my auger which was my own fault.

Got rid of the flip over just wasn't enough room for the way I like to set up. Also was tired of breaking my back loading and unloading it.

pikehunter1989
01-28-2017, 09:58 AM
My point is that they know their is an ongoing issue with this why not just stand behind their product. If it was any other issue yeah I would understand. I know if it was my company I would replace them, keep the customer happy so they buy more products. But now instead of buy the 9 man insulated for next season as I had planned I will be looking at otter or clam.

Oh ok Makes sense... those flip overs are heavy and made for run and gun fishing and to be towed around with a quad or sled. Did you pick up the 949 new or used? I Would think that with a receipt or some kind of proof of when it was purchased they would warranty it. Without that I can understand them not being able to do anything about it.

RavYak
01-28-2017, 10:46 AM

You really think Otter or Clam would help you on unreasonable requests like this one? None of these companies are going to replace old tents that have worked fine well past their warranty periods(aka your tent has already met their expectations for being trouble free...). If you bought the tent earlier this season and the poles were ripping through the hubs then yes I would say your poles are definitely too long and they should warranty it but not given your circumstances. Have your poles even ripped through the hub yet or you just think they are too long?

Go ahead and move on but this time keep your receipt and return it if you notice known defects...

sureshot
01-28-2017, 10:59 AM
You really think Otter or Clam would help you on unreasonable requests like this one? None of these companies are going to replace old tents that have worked fine well past their warranty periods(aka your tent has already met their expectations for being trouble free...). If you bought the tent earlier this season and the poles were ripping through the hubs then yes I would say your poles are definitely too long and they should warranty it but not given your circumstances. Have your poles even ripped through the hub yet or you just think they are too long?

Go ahead and move on but this time keep your receipt and return it if you notice known defects...

You are missing what I'm saying. I am not asking for the tent to be replaced just a couple of poles to replace the ones that are to long.

huntsfurfish
01-28-2017, 12:18 PM
Clam all the way!! Have had mine for nearly 5 seasons and it's bulletproof

Yup, no need for customer service when they are built right.:)

No issues with my clam either.

morinj
01-28-2017, 12:23 PM
i was hoping to get some feedback from, anybody who has spent the night in there ice tent, if you could share details of your experience, that would be great, thank you!

RavYak
01-28-2017, 12:49 PM
You are missing what I'm saying. I am not asking for the tent to be replaced just a couple of poles to replace the ones that are to long.

No I get what you are saying but you imo are being unreasonable... You are expecting Eskimo to fix your tent that doesn't even sound broken much like you would expect a vehicle manufacturer to recall a safety problem after warranty is expired. The fact is almost no manufacturers bend over backwards for customers like that unless forced too(like safety recalls in vehicles).

Your tent is years old, well past its warranty period and you must not have the damage associated with having too long of poles... My first tent had poles that were too long. They ripped through the hubs after only 3 months of use... I contacted Eskimo showed them pictures and my receipt and they sent me a brand new tent. I didn't have to ship the old one to them, I didn't have to destroy it and send parts of it, I didn't have to pay shipping for new tent etc. They even threw in a free fuel line grommet for my auger that I needed(and was willing to pay for). I doubt you will get that kind of service from these other companies but go ahead and switch if you feel the need.

I am only posting this because I disagree with your view that Eskimo has bad customer service. If you keep your receipt and claim issues within warranty period they have great customer service.

Willowtrail
01-28-2017, 01:40 PM
What he's saying is somewhat valid RavYak. It's like a recall on a vehicle as you mentioned, but recalls do get fixed out of warranty. They knew they messed up the pole lengths, some people complained and got new ones. Others didn't and obviously didn't. My roof poles are too long in my tent. I showed them a picture on social media and they agreed they were too long but after my next question of what the solution was, I got silence, I just haven't pursued it since but do have a receipt since I bought it new.

Next is my auger. 2 weeks ago today a buddy was drilling a hole in cold lake and it stopped cutting. He put it on the tailgate and we found a broken weld on the flight. Now, it's been in to their warranty centre in town and pictures were sent to Eskimo. Now, once again, we wait. 2 weeks now and no answer, turns out the warranty staff was sick last week as 2 days this week. But we heard nothing weds - Friday. I've gone 2 weeks waiting for an answer as to whether we're buying a new one or they are replacing. That one, I don't have the receipt.

Now again, Eskimo knows they had a bunch of flights with bad welds. The weld didn't break in half, the weld stayed on the blade mount and broke clean off the centre of the flight. It's clearly a bad weld so agains, I wait for Monday to hopefully hear some good news.