PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion on what new aluminum boat to buy?

Z7Extreme
01-24-2017, 06:26 AM
So I'm in the market for a new fishing boat. With $10,000 being my limit. I want a good aluminum boat that will last 20 years or more. I need something that will fit my growing family as my boys get older. I was thinking of a 14' with a deep hull. I know it will seem small when they are older but I'm thinking it should get the job done. I want to be able to take it on the small lakes that have a gas motor ban, but also want to get on some bigger lakes with a 9.9 hp motor. I have been looking at the Princecraft Youkon 20. What's everyone's suggestion's? Good or bad lets hear it. Thanks in advance.

JohninAB
01-24-2017, 06:47 AM
I would also look at the Lund SSV 14 with the walk thru seating and floor. Floor keeps things up out of any potential water and walk thru seats are great for moving around in the boat.

Nothing wrong with the Yukon just prefer the layout of the SSV myself.

sns2
01-24-2017, 07:01 AM
Contact Europa Marine in Edmonton. Darryl will get you the best price and treat you right. 780-237-9757. Tell him Shane told you to call.

The Fisherman Guy
01-24-2017, 10:20 AM
Lund SSV 16, the extra length is huge. I've handled 4ft waves in one, and it handled them better than any other 16ft boat.

Okotokian
01-24-2017, 11:49 AM
If you are looking for NEW, take a look at Legend boats. They are Canadian-made boats and Legend puts together good packages with boat, motor, trailer, and other features for one all-in price. You can pay incrementally more for engine upgrades, the cost of which is all laid out in the catalogue and website.

I have to say though, if I had $10,000 and wanted a fishing boat, I'd look second hand. You will end up buying perhaps a 5 or 10 year old boat (which isn't really old in boat terms) and get much more for your money. Probably a console, bigger engine, longer.

Personally, if you have a couple boys, I'd sure try to get at least a 16 ft.
FYII own a 17.5' Princecraft, and I need all of it for three people casting comfortably. Not the model you are looking at, but my Princecraft seems like pretty good quality.

SamSteele
01-24-2017, 12:02 PM
PM'd the OP on this one, but I guess I'll post here too.

I have two Lund boats. A 2001 SSV 16 with a 25 hp Yamaha 4 stroke and a 2015 Impact 1850 XS with a 150 Merc 4 stroke and a 9.9 Merc ProKicker. I shopped hard for both and did a ton of research and comparisons. I have had the SSV since new and it has been SOLID. I use it on the Canadian Shield lakes of Northern Sask and there has not been a single issue with it. I would highly recommend them. I have looked at Princecraft and they look solid too, but seem to be a bit higher in price for the same options. I usually like the Lund layout better too. We bought our SSV new for $5500 and I bet I could sell it for pretty much that price now.

I have climbed around in a Legend boat before and wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole myself. Their pricing is misleading and their advertised packages are woefully underpowered. The only other brand I would consider is Alumacraft. I looked hard at them as well. Priced about the same as the Lunds and in the models I was looking at there were some design issues that I didn't like at all. That combined with no dealer right in Edmonton (Westlock or Lloyd I believe).

I bought my new Lund from Barry Jay's in Edmonton at last years Boat & Sportsman show and was very pleased with my dealings with them. The pricing was better than anywhere else I checked (SK, MB, and BC) and their service has been great. When I walk in 9 months after buying the boat and they remember my name that says something.

Anyway, that's my $0.02

SS

Okotokian
01-24-2017, 12:07 PM
their advertised packages are woefully underpowered.
SS

I agree with you with regard to the base engines they quote with their packages, but on the same page it also shows you exactly how much more you have to pay to increase horsepower, add electric start, tilt, etc. That said, I know little about the long term quality of their build. You may be completely right.

Regardless of the type of boat you get, I would look for additional metal reinforcement on the keel, at least the first half of it. Princecraft has this and it's reassuring when you are running the boat aground on shore. Get as much storage space as possible too. I have a decent amount but wish I had even more.

SamSteele
01-24-2017, 12:12 PM
I agree with you with regard to the base engines they quote with their packages, but on the same page it also shows you exactly how much more you have to pay to increase horsepower, add electric start, tilt, etc. That said, I know little about the long term quality of their build. You may be completely right.

Agreed, but they seem to try and "get you in the door" with the low prices emblazoned across their adds. Talk to a dealer and you find out that while they are advertised as all in prices, things like rigging and freight are all extra. Hardly makes it an "all in" price. Once you added in all those extras and put a motor on the back that actually suits the boat you have no cost savings anymore. I climbed around inside a few when I was shopping and the build quality did not impress me.

SS

Willowtrail
01-24-2017, 03:23 PM
I would recommend a new Alumacraft V-14. I bought a new Alumacraft late last summer and it's been a dream. I bought mine at Westlock Powersports & Marine and they treated me great. Last I heard Evinrude had a double the warranty on their motors as well.

As mentioned the Sportsmen Show will be a great place to pick one up.

If I can change your mind on an aluminum, feel free to Pm me. I have an older ski boat I transformed into a fishing machine posted in the Buy Sell.

Mayhem
01-24-2017, 03:29 PM
Another vote for a Lund SSV, a 14 is good, 16 is better. Get the floor pkg...and don't under power it.

FishHunterPro
01-24-2017, 04:02 PM
Shop for a new but outdated boat and motor , I paid about $11,500 out the door for my Lund Ssv 16 and merc 30 with a trailer. Everything a was new just last seasons models which was the exact same thing.

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj500/motohead686/734955C7-71D2-414D-AB0E-4FDE0916C661.jpg (http://s1264.photobucket.com/user/motohead686/media/734955C7-71D2-414D-AB0E-4FDE0916C661.jpg.html)

waterninja
01-24-2017, 04:37 PM
Misty River would be my first choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pike fisher
01-24-2017, 09:40 PM
I would agree with everyone that voted for the Lund SSV. Go used and buy a 16' instead of 14' - you can carry more people and gear, plus it is much more comfortable to fish in and handles the waves better.

Four years ago I bought a six year old Lund SSV 16' with 30HP EFI, with floors and a console (for $6000). My two boys and I love it. The only suggestion that I would have is to get 40 HP if you can find it- with a good load in the boat 30 HP is not quite enough. We go up north every summer to lakes that you can only access by quad - the boat is light enough to pull in to the lake but big enough to carry gear for a week of random camping.

booboo74
01-25-2017, 09:14 AM
I have a 2001 Lund SSV 14 with 25 HP Yamaha and 2 small boys. I don't expect it to be big enough once they grow up, pretty sure it has a 600 lbs limit which is enough but I don't want to be pushing limits in the future. I'd recommend a 16ft, I'll be keeping my eyes open for a SSV16 myself in the future.

SamSteele, if you're ever looking to sell let me know, haha.

SamSteele
01-25-2017, 11:03 AM
Misty River would be my first choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are looking new, Misty River is no more. I believe that they were bought out by Alumarine, which aren't a bad tough camp boat either.

Misty River's were decent boats though if you find a deal on a used one. My only beef with the ones I saw was that they were a narrower beam, so a bit "tippy" when you brought a fish to the boat side and everyone leaned over to get a look.

SS

SamSteele
01-25-2017, 11:04 AM
SamSteele, if you're ever looking to sell let me know, haha.

Haha. Thanks, but I like it too much for use up north to let it go at this point.

SS

jkbloom
01-25-2017, 12:25 PM
In 2007 I bought a Legend Xterminator 16.5 side console, I up graded the motor to a 50hp bigfoot 4 stroke, the all in price was 18,000, with electric trolling motor, 1 Walker electric downrigger, a Bimini top, 1 extra seat and a snap on cover. Love the boat but the listed price was very misleading, I think the listed price was 13,000 with a 25hp motor, very good boat for bigger water, I mostly fish Cold lake, good luck on your search, I hope you find the ideal boat you are looking for. Take care. PS it should be a happy purchase that was taken from me with all the extra charges

Moefoe
01-25-2017, 03:00 PM
Dockside Marine in Kelowna has a 2014 16' SSV with a 30hp merc, looks good, don't know the price, might be worth a call!!

EZM
01-25-2017, 06:56 PM
Like a broken record ....... there simply isn't a better boat layout in a premium high quality boat better than the Lund SSV. I'd also get the 16 fter for the same reasons already mentioned.

The Alumacrafts and Crestliners are also quality boats to consider but would be a second choice for me.

go with the Lund SSV

I've owned a ton of these over the years and they are bullet proof reliable, strong, stable, deep and dry.

lok
01-26-2017, 11:03 AM
Dockside Marine in Kelowna has a 2014 16' SSV with a 30hp merc, looks good, don't know the price, might be worth a call!!

Paid $10,500 everything in, for my lund SSV 16 with 30 Merc. and trailer from dockside. They are great people to deal with.

Tfng
01-26-2017, 12:20 PM
Like a broken record ....... there simply isn't a better boat layout in a premium high quality boat better than the Lund SSV. I'd also get the 16 fter for the same reasons already mentioned.

The Alumacrafts and Crestliners are also quality boats to consider but would be a second choice for me.

go with the Lund SSV

I've owned a ton of these over the years and they are bullet proof reliable, strong, stable, deep and dry.

X2 I'm very happy with my SSV-16. I wouldn't even consider a thirty horse on that boat myself.

I don't know how well it would work on lakes where gas engines are not allowed though.

fsa313
01-26-2017, 04:58 PM
I would look at Sprately Boats, http://www.spratleyboats.com/models.htm
I have a friend who has one and I have fished it with him. It is very stable - the two of us could stand up and fly cast at the same time without any danger. The welded seams are solid, so no rivets to leak. Works well with an electric motor or gas motor.

kingrat
01-27-2017, 05:53 AM
I love my prince craft it's a 167 pro series it's wider than Lund so alot more stable when u have kids jumping around fighting fish. Very solid boat never had an issues in 15 years but yes they're a little more money, supposedly they use a better aluminum or thicker or something you'd have to google that part.

FishHunterPro
01-27-2017, 08:40 AM
Paid $10,500 everything in, for my lund SSV 16 with 30 Merc. and trailer from dockside. They are great people to deal with.

Holy smokes that's a great price out the door, I looked around Alberta and thought I got a great deal lol.

Z7Extreme
01-27-2017, 01:51 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. Got some thinking to do now I guess.