PDA

View Full Version : Cold Lake Update!

Mudder Man
01-24-2017, 06:49 AM
Planning a trip for a buddy and myself for the very first time for Ice Fishing Cold Lake. Just wondering how things are going with Ice thickness and how the bite is going. Any info or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

cheers

MM

Gutshot
01-24-2017, 09:21 AM
I'm hoping to fish Cold Lake this weekend too but a friend mentioned that he heard the ice is in rough shape - some thin ice and a few open spots.

Can anyone confirm the ice conditions - especially on the north side?

FishingPole
01-24-2017, 09:32 AM
I was out there Friday/Saturday.

Ice thickness at the Marina was about 2ft and a lot of trucks out on the ice (us included). Fish and Wildlife came out and we spoke to them and they said the ice this year was definitely a lot better than it was last year and we'd be fine.

As for action, Friday fished at about 80ft of water and caught 2 lakers jigging on the bottom but after that the bite died the next two days. We tried fishing at 120ft and 60 as well. If you have a flasher it would definitely help.

I spoke to someone else that was fishing the provincial park area he felt like the ice was in rough shape so he pulled a sled rather than driving on it (although other trucks were on the ice) but him and his wife were slaying the lakers on Saturday.

lromanchuk
01-24-2017, 02:54 PM
How much snow is on the ice? Enough for a sled or bring the quad?

Gutshot
01-24-2017, 04:42 PM
I was out there two weekends ago. I can't speak for the south end of the lake but the north side was pretty bare - we took quads on and had no issues.

Blastoff
01-24-2017, 05:09 PM
I was out there two weekends ago. I can't speak for the south end of the lake but the north side was pretty bare - we took quads on and had no issues.

has not been any new snow since, quad is fine.

FishingPole
01-25-2017, 12:36 AM
Confirmed.very little snow.

lromanchuk
01-29-2017, 07:03 PM
Whats going on at Cold Lake recently? I've heard a few reports that the ice is in horrible condition because of heaves? Someone also said the RCMP advised people against going there right now?

Any of this true? Who's been out there lately and can comment on current conditions?

splake0
01-29-2017, 07:12 PM
Whats going on at Cold Lake recently? I've heard a few reports that the ice is in horrible condition because of heaves? Someone also said the RCMP advised people against going there right now?

Any of this true? Who's been out there lately and can comment on current conditions?

I was out today. On at PP to Garnet. Ice was fine. 2 ft at garnet

FISHBATTEREDBEER
01-29-2017, 07:13 PM
A friend from Cold says there's a huge crack that opened up 8-10ft,the ice cracking was heard in town!

jkbloom
01-29-2017, 07:57 PM
A friend from Cold says there's a huge crack that opened up 8-10ft,the ice cracking was heard in town!

This is true, was out on cold lake today, RCMP are asking people to stay off the ice, use EXTREME caution folks, I was out at French bay, the ice is good there

lromanchuk
01-29-2017, 08:03 PM
Stay off the ice with Trucks? Or off the ice all together?

jkbloom
01-29-2017, 08:20 PM
I would stay off the ice around the marina, like I said I was out at French bay today and the ice was good, I did not take my truck on the lake was out on a skidoo, was out the last few days east of Garnett the ice was good that way as well

Egymcara
01-29-2017, 08:42 PM
Ice basically caved in around the lake from the marina up through English bay. Provincial side isn't affected but as always, user discretion is advised. I'd post photos but this site doesn't handle high quality photos.

Game Hunter
01-29-2017, 10:23 PM
We slept on the ice thurs night until Sunday at cold lake.
Friday around 6-630We actually had the ice heave that cracked at the marina, actually come right out past us at the provincial park.( within 30 yards of our tent) there was a 8 inch crack that opened up. I was the only guy outside the tents when it happened, was insane the power that flew by.
We only discovered the crack when we went for a walk in the dark fishing for burbot. So we fished the crack lol.
Here's some pics.

Game Hunter
01-29-2017, 10:24 PM
Pic 2

Game Hunter
01-29-2017, 10:26 PM
Pic 3
Our truck was stuck to the lake side of the crack.
Forcing us to drive over the most stable looking part of the ice/ crack this afternoon.

Game Hunter
01-29-2017, 10:30 PM
Pic 4

tight line
01-30-2017, 01:38 AM
Crazy!!

58thecat
01-30-2017, 05:46 AM
Yup it is unstable, need four weeks of -20 or colder but with these temps so far the ol girl is still settling in.

Scary as hell when on the ice and you hear the rumble from Saskatchewan and it moves across the lake, your ice hole goes empty then boils over....earry for sure.

Reported larger opening than 6" too.

BUCKAROO
01-30-2017, 05:38 PM
Thanks for posting that info, I'm heading there next week and now for sure we'll be bringing quads.

7magtime
02-01-2017, 02:15 PM
Probably heading up there in the next couple weeks and have been hearing the changing ice reports/conditions. Never fished the lake before, could somebody familiar with the lake clarify some of the locations I hear mentioned and if truck travel is still possible on them. Specifically-French Bay, English Bay, Garnett.....Thanks for any feedback.

SNAPFisher
02-01-2017, 03:29 PM
Probably heading up there in the next couple weeks and have been hearing the changing ice reports/conditions. Never fished the lake before, could somebody familiar with the lake clarify some of the locations I hear mentioned and if truck travel is still possible on them. Specifically-French Bay, English Bay, Garnett.....Thanks for any feedback.

GameHunter says out from the Provincial Park so that pretty much is in your face.

If you are going up for the first time to fish this lake, and, still planning on driving a truck on after seeing those pics above...good luck. Your call to make. I know what my call would be. The rest is up to you.

Game Hunter
02-01-2017, 05:16 PM
The major crack is in front of the marina. My guess is that crack extended out to the provincial park where we were. Although the ice is 2 ft still be careful.
We had to drive over 4 fault cracks to get out, I would not ever be driving over heaves. We had no choice..
You can still drive on at pp but maybe stay closer to shore in the bay.
French and English bay I have no idea
This lake is somewhat new to me.

7magtime
02-01-2017, 05:47 PM
Won't be chancing driving on if it's unsafe, thanks for the info. Where is English and French Bay at on the lake?

Mudder Man
02-01-2017, 06:23 PM
We will be up there on Saturday, I will post on what I see. Talked with a few people and they haven't had a problem so we will check it out. Haven't had a run in my Nylons in a long time so I am sure we big boys will be OK!!!

tight lines everyone

MM

Egymcara
02-01-2017, 07:43 PM
Won't be chancing driving on if it's unsafe, thanks for the info. Where is English and French Bay at on the lake?

English Bay has the same crack as the marina. French bay is fine, I was out there today.

PerchBuster
02-01-2017, 08:44 PM
Mother Nature strikes again hey! That's some awesome power to pull a 2' thick ice pack apart and tear it like a sheet of paper hey. Wow! Glad you guys made it out of there safely GameHunter. I would have s..t myself I think having never had an experience like that before. Then again I have never fished Cold Lake before and the last couple years I've noticed a lot of sketchy ice reports up there. Thinking if I do ever get up that way it will be either with the boat or ski doo only to be on the safe side. Good luck all and stay safe out there, no fish is worth the loss of a life. :scared:

Game Hunter
02-01-2017, 09:36 PM
Mother Nature strikes again hey! That's some awesome power to pull a 2' thick ice pack apart and tear it like a sheet of paper hey. Wow! Glad you guys made it out of there safely GameHunter. I would have s..t myself I think having never had an experience like that before. Then again I have never fished Cold Lake before and the last couple years I've noticed a lot of sketchy ice reports up there. Thinking if I do ever get up that way it will be either with the boat or ski doo only to be on the safe side. Good luck all and stay safe out there, no fish is worth the loss of a life. :scared:

Yeah I shyt myself when the earthquake was going on.
Would of probably been pretty funny watching me run brainlessly in everywhich direction haha.
Kinda like a deer after a gunshot.
Scary how the crack left us between the lake and shore on the drive out a few days later.

lromanchuk
02-02-2017, 06:53 PM
Is there enough snow for sleds? Or is quad the way to go?

TylerThomson
02-02-2017, 07:05 PM
Fields are bare. Maybe you could get away with a fan cooled sled but a quad would be the way to go.

jkbloom
02-02-2017, 07:20 PM

I have been using my sled, it's liquid cooled and have been out 11 times now to Cold lake, going out in the morning, I will let you know

lromanchuk
02-03-2017, 07:49 AM
I have been using my sled, it's liquid cooled and have been out 11 times now to Cold lake, going out in the morning, I will let you know

Awesome. Thanks!

jkbloom
02-03-2017, 03:04 PM
I am out Cold lake now, I used my skidoo, lots of bare ice, a skidoo or quad will work

TylerThomson
02-03-2017, 05:58 PM
I was out there today to. North side. 3 inches of snow hard pack. If you think that's enough for a liquid cooled sled you don't know how the heat exchanger works or don't care about destroying your engine.

No skin off my back. Have fun.

lromanchuk
02-03-2017, 07:09 PM
Ok great. i'll be bringing the quad.

58thecat
02-04-2017, 01:19 AM

Quad will get you around easily. Not a lot of snow.

Teamprotz
02-04-2017, 02:13 PM
So is anyone catching anything decent ??

jkbloom
02-04-2017, 02:42 PM
So is anyone catching anything decent ??

I just let a 11 pounder go, have caught 4 so far today, caught 16 and a 14 pound yesterday, not what I am looking for but they will do for now

TylerThomson
02-04-2017, 02:51 PM
I haven't targeted lakers been focusing on hunting pike and walleye. Trying some new spots. Nothing huge so far but some decent fish. If you're planning on fishing the south side in the bays I'd bring an extension. I had 3 inches left before my auger head would gave hit the ice today.

Game Hunter
02-04-2017, 04:51 PM
I just let a 11 pounder go, have caught 4 so far today, caught 16 and a 14 pound yesterday, not what I am looking for but they will do for now

How deep are you fishing this time of year?
They have been abit finicky lately.

jkbloom
02-04-2017, 06:03 PM
How deep are you fishing this time of year?
They have been abit finicky lately.

Last couple days was 113 FOW on the deeper side of the drop off, they have been very picky lately

7magtime
02-06-2017, 11:36 AM
Last couple days was 113 FOW on the deeper side of the drop off, they have been very picky lately

Any issues traveling on the ice and were you in a vehicle or
quad/ snowmobile? Thanks.

jkbloom
02-06-2017, 11:41 AM
Any issues traveling on the ice and were you in a vehicle or
quad/ snowmobile? Thanks.

I am using skidoo's and quads, there is trucks driving on the lake just be careful

35 whelen
02-06-2017, 11:51 AM
Any fishing updates from this past weekend at Cold Lake

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

7magtime
02-06-2017, 02:05 PM
I am using skidoo's and quads, there is trucks driving on the lake just be careful

Thanks for the info, appreciate it. :)

Jaylive
02-07-2017, 06:14 PM
Is there a map that has the names of the bays so I have some direction? Planning a trip with a buddy, neither of us have ever been. If marina is closed we're does a guy get on? I see a boat launch at the south side of the big bay to the east of town ....is that a place to get on?

-JR-
02-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Is there a map that has the names of the bays so I have some direction? Planning a trip with a buddy, neither of us have ever been. If marina is closed we're does a guy get on? I see a boat launch at the south side of the big bay to the east of town ....is that a place to get on?

That would be the provincial campground .

Mudder Man
02-07-2017, 06:31 PM
Was up there Sat morning thru to Monday evening. Wow was it cold to say the least. We managed 10 Lakers and 4 Ling between us but no keeper Lakers and all the Ling went back to make new ones.

Met up with JkBloom on on the ice and he helped us out immensely. Cant thank him enough. He is a bang up guy to say the least!!!

Thanks again JKbloom

cheers

Mudder

honker_clonker
02-08-2017, 08:42 AM
We fished in French Bay on Saturday and managed 20 lakers. The bites were spaced out but we got a few flurries of activity throughout the day.

35 whelen
02-08-2017, 11:39 AM
Anybody catching any size out there are they all under the slot don't want to keep any just like fishing for bigger fish

jkbloom
02-08-2017, 12:22 PM
Out on Cold lake today, Very windy, fish are biting really good today, biggest so far is 38", ice is cracking and rumbling today pretty good

BUCKAROO
02-11-2017, 10:38 AM
Anyone out on the lake today that is catching fish ? I'm on the sask side marking loads of fish but they just won't bite.

-JR-
02-11-2017, 11:11 AM
Full moon will do that .
Try down sizing on the jig .

jkbloom
02-11-2017, 12:10 PM
Anyone out on the lake today that is catching fish ? I'm on the sask side marking loads of fish but they just won't bite.

I am out today, move your Jig very very slowly off the bottom, they will bite it, or leave your bait laying on the bottom, is working for me today

Egymcara
02-11-2017, 04:45 PM
Don't drive on English Bay, 2 wide open pressure cracks opened up straight off the launch. It will only get worse with this warm weather.

trouty
02-12-2017, 09:31 AM
I am out today, move your Jig very very slowly off the bottom, they will bite it, or leave your bait laying on the bottom, is working for me today

anything in particular more successful when it slows down? or the usual? do you stay as deep when it slows?

heading up march 11-14 hoping the ice holds out.

thanks.

swifthunter
02-12-2017, 11:28 AM
Is there anywhere to get onto the ice from sask side? Looking at getting into the north east corner of the lake and trying to avoid having to get there from the provincial park. I only have my truck so could I even do that now with the new cracks that have opened up?

lromanchuk
02-13-2017, 08:59 AM
Went out this past weekend, and the fishing was very slow. Marked quite a few fish, but couldn't get anything to bite. Tried slow jigging, fast jigging, bottom bouncing, laying right on the bottom... nothing worked well for us. We only managed to ice 2 65-70 cm lakers.

Wind was brutal. Steady 30 km winds with big gusts for 2 straight days. At one point the ice rumbled so hard at our feet for 5-10 seconds straight. I thought for sure the ice was going to open up right at our feet. I'm assuming an ice heave opened somewhere near us and we were feeling the shock of that.

Anyone have better luck?

quadmaster
02-13-2017, 09:52 AM
Nice update,

splake0
02-13-2017, 03:30 PM
Went out this past weekend, and the fishing was very slow. Marked quite a few fish, but couldn't get anything to bite. Tried slow jigging, fast jigging, bottom bouncing, laying right on the bottom... nothing worked well for us. We only managed to ice 2 65-70 cm lakers.

Wind was brutal. Steady 30 km winds with big gusts for 2 straight days. At one point the ice rumbled so hard at our feet for 5-10 seconds straight. I thought for sure the ice was going to open up right at our feet. I'm assuming an ice heave opened somewhere near us and we were feeling the shock of that.

Anyone have better luck?

Just got in from CL. A big heave opened up 2 or 3 days ago on the west side not far from the PPark. It runs north to South. It looks dangerous especially with the warm weather (open water) I did see a truck cross it but I wouldn't. So east of the PP is a no go. I went to French Bay.

Brad1978
02-13-2017, 07:39 PM
We were on cold lake from the 10-12. Eight of us fished hard in depths from 40-110 feet. Landed only one laker(too small). The new pressure crack starts at pp goes to marina crack(From two weeks ago) all the way to the point north and east of pp boat launch. We were stuck on lake and thanks to a local on side by side found us a way across. People were crossing it but theres no way I would.You could get around it as we did on sat at north east point.(its a little rough)

lromanchuk
02-13-2017, 07:47 PM
Ya we were on a quad and sled. Even with the quad it took me a while to find a place I felt comfortable to cross that ridge. I would never attempt to cross that with a truck.

invasion
02-14-2017, 02:03 AM
Make sure you take some "cold lake specials" with you they work killer

-JR-
02-14-2017, 05:00 AM
How thick is the ice now on the main lake ?

BUCKAROO
02-14-2017, 05:47 AM
I measured 24"-30" of ice last weekend

7magtime
02-14-2017, 09:10 AM
Is vehicle travel still possible with the Cracks/pressure ridges north/northeast off the point of the Provincial park or is it quad/snowmobile only now? Thanks

lromanchuk
02-14-2017, 09:52 AM
Is vehicle travel still possible with the Cracks/pressure ridges north/northeast off the point of the Provincial park or is it quad/snowmobile only now? Thanks

Vehicle travel is possible, but you won't get very far unless you plan on jumping the open water crack with your truck. If you have machines, they are defiantly the way to go with these ice conditions.

Vigsy
02-14-2017, 12:31 PM
heading up this weekend with My dad and his buddy and buddies daughter. Only have truck so I was thinking of just going on at the ski hill launch and stickin to French bay. is there and worry some cracks or heaves in French bay that anyone knows about? thanks in advance. looking like I will have to cancel my four days camping on ice first weekend of march if the ice keeps up this way.

jkbloom
02-14-2017, 12:56 PM
I will be out fishing Cold lake in the next couple of days, I will post about ice conditions, right now it is warm up here and supposed to be all week, at these Temps ice won't be good for to long!!

lromanchuk
02-14-2017, 01:41 PM
heading up this weekend with My dad and his buddy and buddies daughter. Only have truck so I was thinking of just going on at the ski hill launch and stickin to French bay. is there and worry some cracks or heaves in French bay that anyone knows about? thanks in advance. looking like I will have to cancel my four days camping on ice first weekend of march if the ice keeps up this way.

French Bay was fine. Its extremely rough. Almost like the ice froze in waves or something...Probably the wind constantly blowing ice towards that bay. Lots of trucks out though. The ice heave runs from the Garnet Beach point of French Bay and runs west/Northwest towards the PP then North to the Marina. Basically cuts off any access to quality Laker spots if you launch from the PP using a truck.

el sparko
02-14-2017, 01:48 PM
i am planning to head up to cold this friday and stay for the weekend, i have heard recently that the rcmp have advised to stay off the lake with trucks, is it that bad?

7magtime
02-14-2017, 02:12 PM
Thanks for all the updates guys, much appreciated! :happy0180:

Vigsy
02-14-2017, 02:29 PM
French Bay was fine. Its extremely rough. Almost like the ice froze in waves or something...Probably the wind constantly blowing ice towards that bay. Lots of trucks out though. The ice heave runs from the Garnet Beach point of French Bay and runs west/Northwest towards the PP then North to the Marina. Basically cuts off any access to quality Laker spots if you launch from the PP using a truck.

Thank you sir. We will just play it safe and stay inside french. Was hopin to try garnett but alls well we have done well at a few spots inside french. Just hope to get pops into a couple:)

splake0
02-14-2017, 05:57 PM
:test:Just got in from CL. A big heave opened up 2 or 3 days ago on the west side not far from the PPark. It runs north to South. It looks dangerous especially with the warm weather (open water) I did see a truck cross it but I wouldn't. So east of the PP is a no go. I went to French Bay.

If you enter French Bay by the ski hill the ice is good. I was there yesterday. No issues and easy driving. Now fishing was slow. Caught one lost one. They would follow but wouldn't hit.

pikeman06
02-14-2017, 08:40 PM
Nice to see some good communication without the smart-ass remarks here. Not the kind of Lake you want to mess with and lotsa folks travel a fair ways and treat it as a holiday.

Jaylive
02-14-2017, 09:12 PM
Nice to see some good communication without the smart-ass remarks here. Not the kind of Lake you want to mess with and lotsa folks travel a fair ways and treat it as a holiday.

X2 huge thanks have plans to come here in a couple weeks and the reports are great it cost a little coin with gas, accommodations, food, gear. So once again thanks to all that help us weekend warriors plan a safe trip.

pikeman06
02-14-2017, 10:28 PM
I guess I digress... Dare to say something positive. Once again the anglers don't make the regulations. Jump on the poor bugger that works for a living and whacks a 15 lb jack because that's all he can keep and he can only get out a couple times a year and it's the only bite he got all weekend. Come on people.

el sparko
02-15-2017, 08:32 AM
has anyone been able to fish the "hump" just north of the p.p?

splake0
02-15-2017, 08:32 AM
Disregard the negatively. The fish belong to all of us. Feel free and come and enjoy our resource. I'm happy to help with info and technique advise.
Just stay within the law.

7mmremmag
02-15-2017, 09:11 AM
has anyone been able to fish the "hump" just north of the p.p?

I did thursday night. Pretty slow for burbot. Got 1 28" and lost two more.

el sparko
02-15-2017, 11:20 AM
I did thursday night. Pretty slow for burbot. Got 1 28" and lost two more.

were you able to drive there?

jkbloom
02-17-2017, 07:43 AM
Was out on Cold lake yesterday, went on at French bay, ice in French bay was good, no flood water, the bite was slow and very light, for me anyways

7magtime
02-18-2017, 07:57 PM
Was out on Cold lake yesterday, went on at French bay, ice in French bay was good, no flood water, the bite was slow and very light, for me anyways

X2, pretty slow today. Just wondering what depths most are finding the lakers at lately, thanks.

BUCKAROO
02-18-2017, 11:05 PM
I was there today with my son and we had action off and on all day. We iced 11 lakers between 21"-27 1/2" My son was hooked up with the first fish before I was done drilling holes. We were on a quad and managed to cross the ice heave and headed north into Sask water. Our most productive holes were bang on 100'.

35 whelen
02-19-2017, 07:59 AM
Sounds like there's two trucks stuck on the lake already keep your eyes open boys

el sparko
02-20-2017, 02:58 PM
fished saturday all day, we landed 2. my son got the first. he had never caught a laker before and now knows why i will drive 4 hours to try and tie into one.
it was about an inch and a half short so he let it go.
i caught a 6 pounder an hour or so later and let it go.
they were very light on the bite and were setting off me homemade jaw jackers all day long. they were just bumping the smelt and swimming away.

jkbloom
02-20-2017, 04:52 PM
Was out today, went east down the lake on skidoo's. Fished from 11 to 3 and landed 11 lakers, lots of wet snow on the lake, no one was fishing down there

58thecat
02-20-2017, 11:48 PM
Got a good dump of wet snow, warm temps,mist a slush pit out there but cold temps are coming.

Vigsy
02-21-2017, 08:26 AM
We were out all weekend and managed a couple each everyday but she was definitely quite slow in French bay. ice was good drove all around in French. very light bites and not once did a jaw jacker go off for us.but buddies daughter caught her first laker and a few others. then she capped it off with a 31" the last morning which was awesome to see. lots of snow came sunday and was getting slushy leaving the ice Monday.

Vigsy
02-27-2017, 09:35 AM
any updates from the weekend? still pretty slow?

buddy and I are heading up Thursday evening and camping on ice and fishing till Monday afternoon.

pikehunter1989
02-27-2017, 12:35 PM
Was out this weekend.. was very slow out there. I'd stay away from the fresh heaves/cracks that formed a couple weeks ago in a truck anyways.. A truck put his front tires through out there this weekend trying to cross by Garnett point

Jigapoolza
03-02-2017, 08:46 AM
Can anyone tell me if there's another access on the east side maybe Cold river campground? Thanks

Jaylive
03-02-2017, 03:20 PM
Is all of French bay accessible until you hit the main lake?

pikehunter1989
03-02-2017, 06:40 PM
Can anyone tell me if there's another access on the east side maybe Cold river campground? Thanks

There is but it's quite a long drive around to get to it I think. But never accessed there to tell you what it's like over there.

pikehunter1989
03-02-2017, 06:41 PM
Is all of French bay accessible until you hit the main lake?

Inside French bay your fine

Jaylive
03-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Inside French bay your fine

Thanks man. Cheers

jkbloom
03-02-2017, 08:07 PM
The ice heave is just past the mouth of French bay, it is very visible from a distance

Jigapoolza
03-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Thanks Pikehunter I might have to go for a drive and check it out sometime.

Jaylive
03-04-2017, 05:35 PM
Anyone have any luck today? We got skunked so far. Things aren't looking good

swampy45
03-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Anyone have any luck today? We got skunked so far. Things aren't looking good

We got the middle finger from the fish today too. Moved 7 times. That wind was crazy. My car did not like driving through all that snow.

Vigsy
03-05-2017, 09:48 AM
Yep pretty slow yesterday. We got 4 from noon to 6pm. Then lost two and landed one from 8pm to 10pm. Friday night got 8 burbot then last night none. Nothing so far today other then small burb when i first woke up

BGSH
03-05-2017, 09:51 AM
Very slow so far on Cold lake, marked a few fish, had some followers but no takers, hopefully it picks up soon, lots of fresh snow, ice looks to be around 30" may try for some walleye later. Cheers

Teamsasky
03-05-2017, 12:06 PM
Anyone able to cross the heave with a truck north of provincial park launch?

-JR-
03-05-2017, 05:07 PM
Was out on the lake also this weekend . Fish seemed like they were not hungry
Then my LX7 , that was set on graph sonar started to show bait fish in the centre of the screen ,then it got thicker and thicker ,from the bottom to the top of my screen.
Thought my sonar was failing or getting interference .
Looked down the hole .....it was just full of bait fish !
They seemed to be around 10 inches long and the top half was dark,almost black.
Not sure if they were splake. Have caught a few lakers in the past that had a fish in their mouth that looked like a large smelt . Just not sure what these were.
Kinda makes sense now why the bite is slow, as this went on all day until I went deeper to 100ft.

Esox
03-06-2017, 06:09 AM
Was out on the lake also this weekend . Fish seemed like they were not hungry
Then my LX7 , that was set on graph sonar started to show bait fish in the centre of the screen ,then it got thicker and thicker ,from the bottom to the top of my screen.
Thought my sonar was failing or getting interference .
Looked down the hole .....it was just full of bait fish !
They seemed to be around 10 inches long and the top half was dark,almost black.
Not sure if they were splake. Have caught a few lakers in the past that had a fish in their mouth that looked like a large smelt . Just not sure what these were.
Kinda makes sense now why the bite is slow, as this went on all day until I went deeper to 100ft.

Not splake. They would have been Tulibee or even juvenile whitefish.

BGSH
03-06-2017, 04:09 PM
A ton of snow out here today. Hoping not to get stuck on the way out, marking lots. Got a double header which was cool. Quite a few bites. It's a whiteout, can't really see to much outside the tent.

jkbloom
03-07-2017, 01:26 PM
A ton of snow out here today. Hoping not to get stuck on the way out, marking lots. Got a double header which was cool. Quite a few bites. It's a whiteout, can't really see to much outside the tent.

You must have been in the Ford half ton with the big Eskimo tent on the north side of french bay, I did not see anybody else. It was a total white out yesterday, could not see 10 feet in front of my skidoo, fishing was good once I got to where I was headed, hope you made it off ok!

Willowtrail
03-07-2017, 01:56 PM
You must have been in the Ford half ton with the big Eskimo tent on the north side of french bay, I did not see anybody else. It was a total white out yesterday, could not see 10 feet in front of my skidoo, fishing was good once I got to where I was headed, hope you made it off ok!

That was them. They got off safe after 4 nights out there.

Vigsy
03-07-2017, 01:58 PM

Yes that was us, we stayed from Thursday night till Monday evening! Yes it was quite some weather out this weekend. we did make it off, some of the drifts were up to my bumpers. we did okay all weekend probably ten lakers a day and a fair amount of burbot at night. managed one decent laker at 32.5" on sunday. was very cool I watched it chase me up on my lx7, so stood up to see if I could spot it. I watched it smoke my jig right under my feet, very cool experience.

58thecat
03-08-2017, 10:00 PM
Yes that was us, we stayed from Thursday night till Monday evening! Yes it was quite some weather out this weekend. we did make it off, some of the drifts were up to my bumpers. we did okay all weekend probably ten lakers a day and a fair amount of burbot at night. managed one decent laker at 32.5" on sunday. was very cool I watched it chase me up on my lx7, so stood up to see if I could spot it. I watched it smoke my jig right under my feet, very cool experience.

Heard the weather was wild...-25 now ...crazy eh.

-JR-
03-09-2017, 05:31 AM
Had some good snow drifts. Lake only had 4 in inches max of snow on the lake when we got there. That sure changed as it snowed more.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Homewreacker/DSCF2591.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/Homewreacker/media/DSCF2591.jpg.html)

trouty
03-10-2017, 09:37 PM
Hi heading up this weekend for a few days. What is the access like and the heave situation? Can you get on at marina? Out to garnet? Thanks

-JR-
03-11-2017, 06:03 AM
pm sent

35 whelen
03-13-2017, 04:24 PM
YEP But I'm going to try once this year ,should be able to hit some of my old spots as no trucks have been there this year I'm guessing, cant wait 1 good laker is still worth it :)

-JR-
03-13-2017, 06:08 PM
What is wrong with you!

He is just trying to cause trouble again , as he always does.

lromanchuk
03-17-2017, 04:49 PM
Has the bite improved up there lately?

35 whelen
03-17-2017, 05:59 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170317/f15035e4db434368ee048c8a2ac2084a.jpg

35 whelen
03-17-2017, 05:59 PM
Got a couple this morning pretty slow afternoon

-JR-
03-17-2017, 06:14 PM
Hey Whelen, How deeps the snow? Hard to tell from your picture.

35 whelen
03-17-2017, 06:57 PM
About 6 inches Lots melted again today

35 whelen
03-18-2017, 04:34 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170318/0ded04b31bb0ca1974f29111a0542175.jpg started out good been pretty dead since noon though

trouty
03-19-2017, 09:47 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170318/0ded04b31bb0ca1974f29111a0542175.jpg started out good been pretty dead since noon though

Is that a clackin rap? Work well with a smelt?

35 whelen
03-19-2017, 11:13 AM
Caught a few on the smart fish

35 whelen
03-19-2017, 11:16 AM
Just got back from Cold Lake spent two days there fishing was average no keepers. little bit of flood water last evening coming back off the lake travel East about ten kilometres down the lake.

-JR-
03-21-2017, 06:21 PM
Last weekend for ice fishing Cold lake in a few days.
We will be up their fishing for lakers .
Anyone else coming this weekend ?

splake0
03-21-2017, 06:47 PM

I'm be there

tight line
03-21-2017, 08:58 PM
I'm be there

Will likely be there as well!

jkbloom
03-22-2017, 07:18 AM

I will be there as well

-JR-
03-26-2017, 10:18 PM
Weather sure was great this weekend .

tight line
03-26-2017, 11:28 PM

Yup im pretty sunburnt.. but my arm is nowhere near as sore as i was hoping it would be.. slow day for us..

Brodhead
03-27-2017, 10:11 AM
It was gorgeous indeed. The Lakers were challenging though. Marked dozens, had several bites but only landed 4 all weekend between 2 of us. All 60-73cm

35 whelen
03-27-2017, 11:03 AM
I made it over once last weekend guess we did alright with a dozen or so in a day fishing still not the lake it was 5to8 years ago don't know if I'll be going back again. I wonder if this is how the biologists wanted it to be don't really care about keeping the fish but it was sure nice to catch a few more

-JR-
03-27-2017, 09:19 PM
I made it over once last weekend guess we did alright with a dozen or so in a day fishing still not the lake it was 5to8 years ago don't know if I'll be going back again. I wonder if this is how the biologists wanted it to be don't really care about keeping the fish but it was sure nice to catch a few more

A lot of fat lakers this year.
Seeing a lot more bait fish this year for them to feed on.

rasbok
03-28-2017, 07:58 AM
A lot of fat lakers this year.
Seeing a lot more bait fish this year for them to feed on.

Great Point by JR. I went to Cold lake a few times this year and I could catch them or at least get them to bite or chase when there wasn't as many bait fish in the area.
Hard to compete when there is litterally a column of bait fish 30 ft deep on you flasher.

Cheers and good luck this season