PDA

View Full Version : MY Mahi mahi

I-Love-Eyes
04-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Caught this fish in Dominican Rep. (Punta Cana) in February. My husband got seasick and didn't even hold the rod!!

Castincowboy
04-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Way to go "Eyes". Those are such beautiful fish!

I was fishing in PVR Mexico on a charter and we got tonnes of other fish (can't remember the species) and were taking turns on the rod. We had one lady on the boat with 3 guys so when the first Dorado (Mahi Mahi) hit I was Mr. Manners and said "Ladies first". Well, wouldn't you know it? It was the only Dorado to hit all day long.... I serious believed we were all going to get into them.

Well, it was a great experience all the same. Looks like it was for you as well. Not so much for Mr. Eye's though :sick:

CONGRATS!!!!!:)

DustDee
04-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Nice Dolphin!!!

FisherPotch
04-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Way to go!! that thing is a beast!! I just got back from Cancun, I wanted to go after the dolphins, and sails. Ended up with what I think is a large snapper. I was getting sick on the boat too! Didn't take any drugs to help with the sickness. I was feeling queezy and when I got a wiff of second hand smoke and fish I gaged. Everyone on the boat gaged actually. My buddy that went with me didn't even hold a rod either he was sick the whole time. Anyways, congrats on a fine specimen!!

What resort in thd Dom did you stay at? And would you recommend it? Also could you specify what company you went fishing with? I went back in Dec 03 to super Breezes and loved it! Beautiful beachs there. Thanks in advance, tight lines.

I-Love-Eyes
04-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Fisherpotch,

We stayed at Majestic Colonial. This resort was just beautiful and the food was very good too. The staff was all very friendly and I would definitely stay there again!:)
The fishing was booked through the tour guys at the hotel and I think it was called Marlin sportfishing.

I did some looking online (goolge fishing Punta Cana) before we went and after we got home and I think that all the companies for fishing in Punta Cana are the same one--the pictures are all of the same company.

Now that being said, I don't know if we would go with them again or not for a couple of reasons.
1. They got us to their ''headquarters'' and they had a gift shop there that they dragged you into first for the "hard sell":mad2:

2. The day we went was extremely windy and rainy. Now don't get me wrong I can fish in wind and rain, but this was very bad--we had 15 foot seas--not swells but waves and you could not stand on the boat without hanging on to something. The guide almost went over the back of the boat once except, he grabbed a rod holder and held on. The guy at the hotel told us after, that all the tours had been cancelled for the next two days.

3. We actually had to ask for life jackets and I'm really not sure about the safety equipment on the boat--the guide didn't wear a life jacket.:huh:

4. You guys can ''go'' over the side. For us gals, I would have been better off with an ice cream pail.:tongue2:

FisherPotch
04-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Wow!

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated. Sound like that outfit is fairly similar to Aquaworld.

We had bags instead of pails. LOL There was a toilet but the way that boat was moving I'd be afraid to use it. LMAO

I was also amazed by the lack of life jackets.

Tight lines.