PDA

View Full Version : Whitefish Near Calgary

sparkster
01-24-2017, 11:14 PM
Grew up catching white fish ice fishing down near Med Hat and since being in Calgary have never went after them and kinda getting an itch to catch them myself and introduce them to my young boys who live ice fishing.

We've pretty much only caught trout on city lakes and pike in some of the surrounding reservoirs.

Any guidance on where to go for whitefish and and tips on how to catch them. Depth etc.

Thanks

Evil69
01-25-2017, 07:10 AM
The search button is your friend, look up Zips wire worm post or any of Speckle55's posts. Everything you need is there. Small jigs tipped with meal worms is working for me right now. I'd start shallow in the morning(10FOW) or less) and go deep (20FOW plus)mid day.

Most southern reservoirs hold lake whites, Badger, Travers, McGregor, little bow ect.

Things are a bit slow right now but some people are catching them and things will only get better the closer we get to the burbot spawn.

Good Luck!:)

Scott N
01-25-2017, 09:12 AM
I'm not the person to give advise about it, but both Ghost Reservoir and Spray Lakes to the west have whitefish. I fish Spray fairly often, but more for lakers.

chucklesthe3rd
01-25-2017, 05:17 PM
I think u r too late will have to try next year. Mc gregor lake has better whitefish icefish because the chinese fishing group doesn't go there. use scud flies, red wireworms and slender spoons work magic.

If u want a bonus burb put on a tip-up a medium sized spoon tipped with 2 shiners.

Tight lines

"Simplicity is the key." Remember these words.