PDA

View Full Version : Bow Poacher Caught

Bemoredog
01-26-2017, 12:12 PM
Possibly repost, but always good to see some of these clowns aren't slipping through the cracks.

https://www.facebook.com/AlbertaFishandWildlifeEnforcement/photos/a.1580892292169500.1073741828.1579802275611835/1809725979286129/?type=3&theater

ReconWilly
01-26-2017, 12:32 PM
Possibly repost, but always good to see some of these clowns aren't slipping through the cracks.

https://www.facebook.com/AlbertaFishandWildlifeEnforcement/photos/a.1580892292169500.1073741828.1579802275611835/1809725979286129/?type=3&theater

I don't use fakebook or other liberal biased social engineering sites, is it possible to post the story here?

Angler
01-26-2017, 12:47 PM
I wish I could've stayed out off Facebook )))

Here is the story

In May, these six rainbow were trout were seized from a poacher who has now been convicted. On May 27, 2016, a Calgary Fish and Wildlife Officer responded to a Report A Poacher call regarding an angler on the Bow River near the Deerfoot Extension Bridge. Upon inspection, Alexander Grekov was found to be in possession of six rainbow trout ranging from 35cm to 51cm in length. In order to help prevent the fish population from collapsing, the daily limit of trout for this section of the Bow River is one under 35cm in length.

Grekov recently pleaded guilty to catching and retaining more than the daily quota, and the court issued a fine of $3,000. His fishing equipment was seized and forfeited. The fish will either be used by biologists for research purposes or given to people in need.

Thanks to the person who reported this fish crime. Suspicious hunting and fishing activity can be reported to the Report A Poacher line at 1-800-642-3800. To learn about catch limits and other regulations for the water body you plan to fish, visit this page: http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/.

Angler
01-26-2017, 12:50 PM
There is one more case from FWE page

Two individuals who were charged with poaching offences at Minnow Lake in June recently pleaded guilty in Edson Provincial Court. The court handed down fines totalling $4,000 to Bruce Shuck and $500 to Laurie Shuck. Bruce Shuck was also given a one-year recreational license suspension. Both individuals pleaded guilty to exceeding both the daily catch limit for Minnow Lake and the maximum province-wide possession limit.

On June 22, 2016, an Edson Fish and Wildlife Officer conducted a compliance check on the two anglers at Minnow Lake. They were found to be in possession of 10 under-sized northern pike and five walleye. In order to help the walleye population grow, no walleye may be caught and retained at Minnow Lake. Also, to help ensure fishing is sustainable and that the northern pike population remains healthy, Minnow Lake has a limit of three Northern Pike over 63 cm in length.

For general information catch limits in Alberta, please see page 22 of the Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations handbook: http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs-pdfs-2016.html.
Page 25 has information measuring fish length.

For information on limits (and seasons) at a specific water body, use the map tool on the left hand side of this web page: http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/.

ReconWilly
01-26-2017, 01:21 PM
Thank you Angler!

Much appreciated.

HuyFishin
01-26-2017, 02:10 PM
justice!:sHa_shakeshout:

I dont think the fines are harsh enough

SNAPFisher
01-26-2017, 02:33 PM
justice!:sHa_shakeshout:

I dont think the fines are harsh enough

I dunno, you may be right but I suspect those caught find it harsh enough. I've seen many, many people back down and give up for much smaller fines. it is amazing how quickly ignorant behavior can change :)

Angler
01-26-2017, 02:41 PM
Thank you Angler!

Much appreciated.

No worries!

tight line
01-26-2017, 03:22 PM
I wish I could've stayed out off Facebook )))

Here is the story

In May, these six rainbow were trout were seized from a poacher who has now been convicted. On May 27, 2016, a Calgary Fish and Wildlife Officer responded to a Report A Poacher call regarding an angler on the Bow River near the Deerfoot Extension Bridge. Upon inspection, Alexander Grekov was found to be in possession of six rainbow trout ranging from 35cm to 51cm in length. In order to help prevent the fish population from collapsing, the daily limit of trout for this section of the Bow River is one under 35cm in length.

Grekov recently pleaded guilty to catching and retaining more than the daily quota, and the court issued a fine of $3,000. His fishing equipment was seized and forfeited. The fish will either be used by biologists for research purposes or given to people in need.

Thanks to the person who reported this fish crime. Suspicious hunting and fishing activity can be reported to the Report A Poacher line at 1-800-642-3800. To learn about catch limits and other regulations for the water body you plan to fish, visit this page: http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/.

Wow!!! I used to work with that guy...

ReconWilly
01-26-2017, 03:28 PM
Wow!!! I used to work with that guy...

Did you share some good spots on the bow with him?

Hahaha these parasites always have their ears wide open...

dutchpirate
01-26-2017, 06:26 PM
Do Fins and Feathers post their enforcement actions anywhere? Federal departments like Transport and CRA do and it's educational (and a little bit of schadenfreude) to read about the results of investigations.

schmedlap
01-26-2017, 06:42 PM
for cases such as all of the above should be much harsher. One wonders if Grekov and Shuck are just ignorant and stupid or "deliberate" offenders. It seems rather moronic that anyone with half a brain would think they could get away with poaching 6 big trout off a bridge in Cowtown without anyone noticing or reporting (?). But...?

Do those present think most such poachers are just ignorant of the fact of fishing regulations, or most are deliberate and knowing violations founded in greed and criminality, or is it a combination? It is hard to believe that many people with the means and "talent" to poach at this level could possibly be this ignorant in the face of the common and easily accessed information on such. I know numerous people who have no, or almost no, experience or interest in fishing who are well aware that it is heavily regulated in all aspects.

Should our overlords use some of the carbon tax revenue in public education of such matters, as opposed to subsidizing low flow shower heads?

tight line
01-27-2017, 12:48 AM
Did you share some good spots on the bow with him?

Hahaha these parasites always have their ears wide open...

Haha, nope.. i dont fish the Bow, but knew he lived in Calgary. That fine will sting, i know he got layed off on the downturn. But glad too see they handed out a decent fine!

tight line
01-27-2017, 12:51 AM
for cases such as all of the above should be much harsher. One wonders if Grekov and Shuck are just ignorant and stupid or "deliberate" offenders. It seems rather moronic that anyone with half a brain would think they could get away with poaching 6 big trout off a bridge in Cowtown without anyone noticing or reporting (?). But...?

Do those present think most such poachers are just ignorant of the fact of fishing regulations, or most are deliberate and knowing violations founded in greed and criminality, or is it a combination? It is hard to believe that many people with the means and "talent" to poach at this level could possibly be this ignorant in the face of the common and easily accessed information on such. I know numerous people who have no, or almost no, experience or interest in fishing who are well aware that it is heavily regulated in all aspects.

Should our overlords use some of the carbon tax revenue in public education of such matters, as opposed to subsidizing low flow shower heads?

Well it could be stupidity, but i think it was ignorance..

FlyTheory
01-27-2017, 07:07 AM
I don't use fakebook or other liberal biased social engineering sites, is it possible to post the story here?

I don't have Facebook yet I'm still liberal ;) and nice job to the officers that made it happen! Get'm boys!

Bemoredog
01-27-2017, 08:44 AM
Well it could be stupidity, but i think it was ignorance..

Might be a bit of an off colour question here, but is he a recent immigrant to the country? Just curious because of the last name... and also my bias that a fair amount of poaching is "non-deliberate" from folks new to the country/province who don't understand the concept of regulations since they might come from places where there just isn't such a thing.

tight line
01-27-2017, 10:24 PM
Might be a bit of an off colour question here, but is he a recent immigrant to the country? Just curious because of the last name... and also my bias that a fair amount of poaching is "non-deliberate" from folks new to the country/province who don't understand the concept of regulations since they might come from places where there just isn't such a thing.

He is a immigrant, (russian) but not really recent, and he held a pretty high profile job, so he is not a total putz...