PDA

View Full Version : Rapala Auger Issue

wolfhunter
01-28-2017, 03:28 PM
Just got a new Rapala auger, the ones that are sale at Costco. Took it out of the box today got new gas,oil and fuel stabilizer. The unit started but quickly died, tried few times more thought I flooded the engine so waited and same thing starts but dies. I checked the spark plug, it needed adjustment and same thing. Short of putting it back in the box and returning it to Costco, any suggestions. Would really like to use it tomorrow.

trouty
01-28-2017, 03:44 PM
Take it back. You got a dud and it'll be a PITA. If you got the fuel mix right it should run.

Kim473
01-28-2017, 04:59 PM
Did you open the vent on the gas cap ? Is the fuel line pinched ? If not, return it.

trainerdave
01-28-2017, 06:10 PM
As above,sounds like a lack of air. The gas tank had air as the gas cap was open. When the gas cap is then closed and the engine started, a vaccum is created as the air is unable to fill the void left by the fuel as it exits the tank. Most people experience the old "forgot to open the breather cap"stall... The motor usually runs fine briefly,and then simply sputters and dies. If air can get in to the tank,then the fuel can flow to the carb. Check the manual...Been there,done that! Hope that is all...
Good luck!

wolfhunter
01-28-2017, 07:16 PM
On this model it does not say anything about a gas vent. Here are the starting instructions.

1. Move choke lever to RUN or OFF position.
NOTE: Choke must be in the RUN or OFF position when
pushing or using the primer bulb.

2. Prime unit until primer tube is filled with gas.
NOTE: When using the primer bulb, allow the bulb to return
completely to its original position between pushes.
3. Move choke lever to CHOKE or ON position.
NOTE: choke position is defined by moving the choke lever
as far to the ON position as possible.
4. Push engine switch to the ON position.
5. Grasp starter handle with left hand and pull out slowly, until
there is tension as you pull. Without letting starter handle
retract, pull rope with a rapid full arm stroke. Let it return
to its original position very slowly until the engine fires or
runs, engage the throttle. When attempting to start, DO
NOT allow the recoil to retract on its own, as it may snap
back quickly and cause injury. Repeat this step every time
the starter rope is pulled.

wolfhunter
01-29-2017, 12:59 AM
Thanks too the guys that answered, I took a gamble and bought a new spark plug. First pull started just fine and stayed running, who knew it was the spark plug.

Half Pickereled
01-29-2017, 02:23 PM
Glad it worked out, I bought mine a few years back for dirt cheap from a guy who didn't have enough time to get out. The thing was brand new basicallly and has never let me down. It has the 43 viper and I've recently glued it to a 10" quantum/Eskimo auger and 12" extension. The thing digs like a champ.