PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using their helix for ice fishing?

trouty
01-28-2017, 05:13 PM
Bought the ice ducer. Any tips on settings?

rcales
01-28-2017, 05:15 PM
Have to turn it to ice fishing mode, and turn off the down imaging off. works ok

Jaylive
01-28-2017, 06:40 PM
Love mine. Ice mode, fish id off , chart speed maxed and ice ducer and I catch twice if not more fish. My best ice purchase to date

Tcon
01-28-2017, 07:16 PM
Love mine. Ice mode, fish id off , chart speed maxed and ice ducer and I catch twice if not more fish. My best ice purchase to date

I completely agree, best ice purchase other than a powered auger.

This is my first ice season back after too long of a hiatus. I never used electronics but would primarily fish the shallows or blind jig for walleye. The ice helix has completely opened up the entire water body for me.

As the others have suggested put out in ice fishing mode. I also hide many of the screens that I don't use. The screens I primarily use are the zoom/full water column split screen, the wide/narrow beam split screen, the graph with flasher side bar (which i think is the standard graph) and the chart. I usually manually adjust the depth range and sensitivity.

Good luck!

trouty
01-29-2017, 07:44 AM
I completely agree, best ice purchase other than a powered auger.

This is my first ice season back after too long of a hiatus. I never used electronics but would primarily fish the shallows or blind jig for walleye. The ice helix has completely opened up the entire water body for me.

As the others have suggested put out in ice fishing mode. I also hide many of the screens that I don't use. The screens I primarily use are the zoom/full water column split screen, the wide/narrow beam split screen, the graph with flasher side bar (which i think is the standard graph) and the chart. I usually manually adjust the depth range and sensitivity.

Good luck!

Then I assume you are using it on down imaging and not ice fishing mode? If so then you'd be using the flasher.

trouty
01-29-2017, 07:45 AM

So are you using it as a flasher, or down imaging?

rcales
01-29-2017, 08:53 AM
With an ice transducer, you can not use down imagining.
The ice transducer doesn't have the capability to this. You would have to rig up the one off your boat some how if you wanted to do that.
If you don't turn it off you will get really weird readings.

It's step by step in the owners manual on how to configure the unit.

fish99
01-29-2017, 09:17 AM
did you guys buy a new power hook up or does it come with the ice transducer, thanks

crazyfish
01-29-2017, 09:46 AM
Christmas present to myself , love it , great to see what's happening , awesome for setting tip ups at the perfect depth took a few minutes to set up and understand , zero complaints.

What are you guys using for sensitivity settings I found low (3-4) was better , have to maybe work a little more on figuring out the best combo of split screens

Jaylive
01-29-2017, 11:16 AM
You can buy the portable bag with battery and such, n ice ducer also separate....for me but you can just get the helix ice witch comes with all this stuff. I personal tryed being cheap and using summer transducer it "worked" but was super finicky and not good for run and gunning. Ice ducer just drop er in the hole and in a second your fishing summer ducer its more of a rigging situation. It worked I'll say again but you won't regret the ice ducer. Ice duce had better target separation too. If using summer ducer I had best results hanging it off. Tip up stand straight and horizontal as possible. Also barely in the water unlike ice duce where it hangs below hole. I drilled separate right behind my fishing hole for for this set up so I didn't have to wreck the set up every fish. Cheers have fun and hold on!!!

DOGFISH
01-29-2017, 12:15 PM
My Helix 5 works great, Set to Flasher Mode and start in Auto range if moving around in different depths of water. If you are staying at one depth set lower range to with in the zone. Sensitivity Set around 2 to 4 depending on lure and depth/bottom. I don't fish without it. Lots of other settings you will get used to over time. DOGFISH

Bhflyfisher
01-29-2017, 02:20 PM
I picked up the last Helix 4x W/chirp ice machine from the fishin hole. Had it on the ice yesterday and it was wicked. After doing a fair amount of digging on ice shanty and the guys who've been using them for years here are the recommended settings.

***Important: Set your transducer to PTI-WBL/PTI-WSU, this would be your ice ducer, and eliminates down imaging from your set up.
Auto sensitivity off
Sensitivity (Depends on water clarity/noise/etc) but generally 50-65
Colorline 50-70
Ice fishing mode or freshwater mode (Your choice)
If fishing alone, noise rejection low or off
surface clarity, dependant on situation low or off
**** this one is important, Amplitude Scope on
Split flasher (your choice, the graph with amplitude scope is fantastic and easier to use)
Fish id: off
white fishreveal/blue fish reveal/ white background which ever you like best, i like blue fish reveal

I can see my tube jigs and swivels on the finder w/ no issue. I found it was best to up your sensitivity to around 75 ish (screen will be extremely "noisy"), drop your jig down, and then slowly adjust the sensitivity down until it suits your preference, preferably when the only thing thats being picked up on the screen is your jig.