PDA

View Full Version : Trout Brine/Rub Recipe Wanted

tigger
01-30-2017, 06:52 PM
Looking to smoke a laker and looking for a good rub or brine recipe and how long to smoke it for

waterninja
01-30-2017, 08:05 PM
Watered down mixture of soya sauce and worchester with mashed up capers and juice from capers. Place in container that is tightly sealed and shake every couple hours for a day or 2 and done deal. Enjoy

Fishfri
01-31-2017, 11:26 AM
-Two fillets-
Boil water 6 cups water, add 1/2 cup honey, 2 cups salt (kosher works best). Cool brine.
leave in brine for up 6 hours. After oil the skin side so it dont stick to rack. Some fresh ground black pepper, rub on meat (not too much). Let air dry for 1 hour.
Smoke with hickory at about 180F degress. Till fish is done, 45-1 hour. Just look in once in awhile. Take out while its still moist. Dont dry the meat too much.

MOP
Make 1/4 hot water, 1/4 honey, mix with 1/4 tsp thyme in a small bowl. Mop fish 15 minutes, half way through, and when you got few minutes left in smoker.

lippy
02-01-2017, 11:21 AM
I posted this a few years back..

1 cup pickling salt
1 medium size onion minced
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 tablespoon black pepper
4 ounces lemon juice
4 ounces brown sugar
Mix the above in 1 gallon (16 cups) water until sugar dissolves
Brine fresh fish 12 hours - frozen 24 hours
Rinse fish,pat dry then air dry for about 1 hour.
I use hickory for smoke. I only have a little chief smoker which in cold weather takes a long time and usually rotate the racks a few times. I've also had to finish them in an oven sometimes in cold weather or it just takes too long. I usually butterfly the fish and lay them skin side down on the racks..I agree with the above comment to use an oil so the skin doesn't stick to the racks. This is my " go to" brine recipe hope you try it. It is especially good with Brook Trout so it should work great on a laker.

Fish-Taco
02-01-2017, 11:57 AM
Here is what I use for all the fish I smoke. From salmon to pike and whites.

Brine:

4 liters of clod water
1/2 cup of kosher salt
1-2 cups (depending on my mood of the day) teriyaki sauce
1-2 cups Brown sugar (depending on desired sweetness)
1-2 cups Maple syrup (depending on desired sweetness)
1/4 ish cup soy sauce
1/4 ish cup fish sauce
1/4 ish cup worcestershire sauce
Greek, Roasted red pepper and garlic, tandori, chili, chopotle, and cinnamon spices

I will vary the amount of sugar and syrup and spices depending on what I'm aiming for as a end taste result.

I cut the fish up into small strips around 1'' wide and 1-3'' long trying to keep all the pieces around the same size/thickness for a more even smoke/cook.

Let it sit for at least 24 hrs stirring whenever you go into the fridge for another cold one. I've only brined it for 12 hrs and it still turned out awesome as well so it's up to you for how long you want to let it soak.

Once it's all brined up I place the fish onto cookie drying racks and let it sit for a couple-5 hrs or until a nice little glaze forms on the fish and you can see a solid sheen on it. A fan really helps speed the process up plus it makes the house smell good!

For smoking I roll like this:Temps are in F

2-3 hrs ish at 120 ish or as low as the smoker will go
2-3 hrs ish at 140 ish
2-3 hrs at 160 ish or until desired dryness is reached

I usually only let the smoke roll for the first 2 hrs as per the wifeys tolerance of the smoke flavor.

Its an awesome recipe that allows for all kinds of customization and experimenting with sugar and spice. Enjoy!