PDA

View Full Version : Ice auger suggestions!

morinj
02-01-2017, 09:36 PM
On a previous thread, I was asking everyone which ice fishing tent they prefer, as I was interested in purchasing one, I received some real good feedback, and decided to go with the Eskimo 949i, as I will more then likely be sleeping in it, now I am in the market for a ice auger, and curious to hear some feedback on some of the brands. I had a pretty bad experience with Jiffy, and will probably be leaning towards the Eskimo, as their 5 year warranty is attractive! All feedback is welcome and greatly appreciated!

BUCKAROO
02-01-2017, 09:56 PM
I have the Eskimo z51 8" and it's been great no issues in the 3 years I've had it. I would buy another if this one went missing. I also have the tent you just bought and it great as well, it will serv you well.

RavYak
02-01-2017, 11:03 PM
Both Jiffy and Eskimo offer 5 year warranty now. Jiffy vs Eskimo is personal preference imo, guys have had good or bad luck with both brands. I have used both and they are both good in my eyes. The propane augers and the ion's are good too.

I prefer a propane or ion if you use a suv/car as your main vehicle. Gas will leak and will make your car stink. I also prefer either of these for drilling inside a tent/shack, a gas motor will smoke you out.

I prefer gas or propane if you do lots of multi day trips or usually drill a ton of holes. Gas if you live up in Fort Mcmurray or north where it is often colder then here.

For propane I like the Jiffy for 8 in holes but the Eskimo for 10 in since it has lower gearing and more torque.

For Eskimo gas augers I prefer at least the 43 cc for 8 in and the 51 cc for 10 in.

huntsfurfish
02-02-2017, 12:03 AM
Or an ION.:)

jeffrey929
02-02-2017, 04:58 AM
ION all they way... You will never regret it

SamSteele
02-02-2017, 06:07 AM
I have a Strikemaster now. If it ever died (it's 20 years old and still runs strong) I would replace it with an Ion or possibly a K-drill. Lighter, no gas, no fumes, quieter, and less pollution.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sns2
02-02-2017, 06:25 AM
Both Jiffy and Eskimo offer 5 year warranty now. Jiffy vs Eskimo is personal preference imo, guys have had good or bad luck with both brands. I have used both and they are both good in my eyes. The propane augers and the ion's are good too.

I prefer a propane or ion if you use a suv/car as your main vehicle. Gas will leak and will make your car stink. I also prefer either of these for drilling inside a tent/shack, a gas motor will smoke you out.

I prefer gas or propane if you do lots of multi day trips or usually drill a ton of holes. Gas if you live up in Fort Mcmurray or north where it is often colder then here.

For propane I like the Jiffy for 8 in holes but the Eskimo for 10 in since it has lower gearing and more torque.

For Eskimo gas augers I prefer at least the 43 cc for8 in and the 51 cc for 10 in.

I picked one of these up on sale for $349. I am no expert, but it zips through 24" of ice pretty darn quick. More power is always good, but this one really does get the job done very well.

sns2
02-02-2017, 06:28 AM

For Eskimo gas augers I prefer at least the 43 cc for 8in and the 51 cc for 10 in.

I picked up one of these 43 cc Eskimos on sale for $349. I am no expert, but it zips through 24" of ice pretty darn quick. More power is always good, but this one really does get the job done very well.

dutchpirate
02-02-2017, 06:33 AM
They are pricey to get into, but I :love0025: Love our Ion! Easy to keep battery from getting too cold with an insulated lunch bag and a hand warmer. Instant on, no fumes, lots of holes. Awesome customer service when the charger had a broken LED out of the box. New charger sent immediately and keep the old one (just can't tell when it's finished a charge cycle)

TylerThomson
02-02-2017, 06:47 AM
I agree with the guys on the electric. I bought a strikemaster lithium Lazer and I'll never go back to a gas powered auger. Most new vehicles have a 120 plug so if you're going on long trips and planning on more than 40 or 50 holes you can charge it on the go. If not inverters are cheap.

Pickrel_jigger
02-02-2017, 06:48 AM
I had an older Eskimo bought it 1999 it was an 8" pirhana it was ok, but nothing like my dads 8" jiffy that was bought a few years later. An iceauger should last you along time if you store it properly in the off season. I run seafoam in mine and all toys get premium fuel, quad, pressure washer, chainsaw, etc.

Hammerhead
02-02-2017, 06:57 AM
I bought an Eskimo Z71 about 3 years ago. It's never given me any issues to speak of. They're super easy to pull start. You just have to be careful that you don't pull them too hard... my buddy pulled the cord right out of his because he was pulling it like he was trying to start an old lawnmower. I didn't really need the Z71, but I it was kind of a spontaneous purchase and Wholesale had a deal. I think that there was only a $30 price difference between the Z51 and the Z71. And my buddy had a Z51, so naturally I had to get the bigger one ;-).
Also, I enjoy fishing through a 10" hole. I know everyone has their own opinion on this. Also I heard rumblings of the province putting restrictions on 10" holes because they're worried about people stepping in them??? I'm honestly not sure if there's any truth to that.

Tikka300
02-02-2017, 08:37 AM
I used to only run a 6" hand auger until I tried a strikemaster. Friends have always had Jiffy or Eskimo that got the job done but not like a strikemaster. I have had mine for a couple years and warm or cold there is never a starting issue. Always run premium oil and premium fuel (0% ethanol!!!!) and no issues. Mix a fresh batch of fuel every year as well.

I have tried the ion augers and they are definitely pretty neat. I have heard that the strikemaster lithum lazer seems to have an edge on it though - both in battery life and cutting speed.

Bigwoodsman
02-02-2017, 09:24 AM
I too am looking for a new auger. Anyone try the Eskimo HC40? The cutting technology seems like a great idea.

BW

Kim473
02-02-2017, 09:43 AM

For Eskimo gas augers I prefer at least the 43 cc for 8 in and the 51 cc for 10 in.

I have the eskimo M43, came with a 8" and I recently updated it to a 10". Lots of power for the 10". Have had it for well over 5 years now and no problems other than me breaking the thumb throttle lever twice. LOL. Always starts within 2 pulls if primed and choked. I have seen them offer the M43 new with the 10".
What ever you get, buy a 10" Great to look through a picture window and pulling a larger fish other than perch up through the hole. Much easier to ice a fish and less fish lost at the hole.

pinelakeperch
02-02-2017, 01:04 PM
Pretty happy with my 51cc 10in Eskimo. They go on sale fairly regularly.

lromanchuk
02-02-2017, 01:43 PM
Ive had my 10 inch Jiffy 3500 series proII for 7-8 years now, and it's junk. I battle through the hard water season with it, but its far from an enjoyable experience. If i were to replace this auger tomorrow, it would be with the 71cc Eskimo.

7magtime
02-02-2017, 02:12 PM
I used to only run a 6" hand auger until I tried a strikemaster. Friends have always had Jiffy or Eskimo that got the job done but not like a strikemaster. I have had mine for a couple years and warm or cold there is never a starting issue. Always run premium oil and premium fuel (0% ethanol!!!!) and no issues. Mix a fresh batch of fuel every year as well.

I have tried the ion augers and they are definitely pretty neat. I have heard that the strikemaster lithum lazer seems to have an edge on it though - both in battery life and cutting speed.

X2 on the Strikemaster. My 10" Solo with the dual blades starts easy, has loads of power and cuts like a machine. As already stated, I run premium with Seafoam and use new fuel every season.......

7mmremmag
02-02-2017, 02:48 PM
I too am looking for a new auger. Anyone try the Eskimo HC40? The cutting technology seems like a great idea.

BW

I just bought a new HC40 10" propane. It works some nice.
I really like carrying 1lb propane bottles over gas jugs

bucksman
02-02-2017, 03:53 PM
I don't own one but ive been on the ice with a couple buddies that had the ION and that thing is top notch. no sound, no gas, no fumes, no mixing gas, super light, no scooping holes out(reverse lets u send the slush the other way) On the other hand my little 8" stingray just wont die so I cant justify getting an ION just yet. I have had to replace a lot of stuff on it but that is all because the gas eats the gas line, gas tank, primer bulb. all were not expensive but would not need to be replaced had I had the ION

Chinook01
02-02-2017, 04:25 PM
Just got a strike master honda lite. Starts first pull. Has lots of torque and cuts like a bugger and is much quieter, lighter and better on fuel the old jiffy 2hp auger I had and no mixing gas required either. Only a 2 year warranty on the engine though.

wangpeishen
02-02-2017, 04:45 PM
I would recommend ION. It is worth the money, and you won't regret. One charge can give you 20 holes on 2' ice. It is quiet, light, maintenance-free, and environment-friendly.

TylerThomson
02-02-2017, 05:37 PM
I lined up against my z71 that I sold to my buddy with fresh blades and my new strikemaster lithium Lazer. Both had 8 inch flights and I beat him by almost a full hole on a 3 hole race. Z71 34 lbs. Lithium Lazer 24 lbs. Take that how you want but I won't ever go back to a gas auger.

RavYak
02-02-2017, 06:37 PM
What ever you get, buy a 10" Great to look through a picture window and pulling a larger fish other than perch up through the hole. Much easier to ice a fish and less fish lost at the hole.

I prefer an 8 inch hole 99% of the time. I only want a 10 inch if going for 20 lb pike/lakers. Sight fishing they are kind of nice too but if I really want I just drill 2-4 holes together with my 8 inch and that solves that.

I don't like the 10 inch augers for normal use because they are so much heavier, slower tougher drilling and too easy to drop things into or accidentally step into.

TylerThomson
02-02-2017, 06:41 PM
I'm with you ravyak. I ran 10 inch for a few years and went back to 8. I've stepped in my own hole to many times. Hole cover tip ups don't fit. It's harder on the body drilling 40 10 inch holes. Nor much benefit to them in my mind.

Willowtrail
02-02-2017, 06:45 PM
I have the Eskimo Z51 Shark 10"

Love it. Had it for 5 years now and finally changed the spark plug and blades. I did crack the fuel tank late last year so I had to replace that this fall. Easy fix and $65.
I like the 10" because it's not that heavy, maybe I'm just stronger because I don't have an office job, it's not heavy and I'm never carrying it across a lake. No need to own an 8" and a 10". Just go as big as you can afford.

A couple outtings ago my buddy was drilling holes with it and it snapped a weld on the blade mount. Buddy took it to our local warranty depot and after a bit of a wait since the lady at Eskimo was sick, we have a new 10" flight on its way free of charge.

Great warranty and she fires up easy all the time. I do recommend good oil, I run Opti2 only in all my 2 strokes.

TylerThomson
02-02-2017, 06:59 PM
Go punch 40 holes. Once you get through the first 20 I'll let you try my auger lol.

Willowtrail
02-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Go punch 40 holes. Once you get through the first 20 I'll let you try my auger lol.

I would get the ION X but don't feel like spending the $1200 to get what I have now and why would I punch 30 holes without fishing for a while? Plus, when I do help out with kids events I do drill around 20-30 holes. I don't see a problem

7mmremmag
02-02-2017, 07:49 PM
I would recommend ION. It is worth the money, and you won't regret. One charge can give you 20 holes on 2' ice. It is quiet, light, maintenance-free, and environment-friendly.

20 holes in 2ft of ice isnt enough for me.
The batteries arent cheap.
And if its as reliable as my other battery powered tools its not gonna be good enough

PerchBuster
02-02-2017, 08:34 PM
ION X all the way. Take good care of the battery and you won't regret spending the extra dough on it. Maintenance and fuel free. Enviro friendly. No grief. Starts every time at the press of the button. Reverse. Cast bottom. Screws itself right in effortlessly. Never break a sweat again! Lug it around all day, never get sore! Good luck! Will never go back to gas or propane again, ever!
PS- I've cut over 3 dozen holes in a day on a single charge and still had lots of battery with no power loss. All you need is an inverter to plug in to the truck and you can charge in the fly if you really needed to but I haven't so far

Red Bullets
02-02-2017, 08:49 PM
Here's my old man logic.... forget the hand and power augers and go back to using an ice chisel. They don't break down, don't need gas and only need sharpening once every other year and only cost 50 bucks. You get a little exercise and build up an appetite for fish. Takes about 5 minutes to go through 2 feet of ice and you can make wide angle hole any size for good viewing. I have been using a chisel for 30+ years of ice fishing.

This was my last chisel that another AO member bought and he tells me he enjoys using it.

Mountain Guy
02-02-2017, 08:53 PM
Love my eskimo propane so far ....used for 3 days so far and maybe used 1/2 a bottle.
Ion?? I too question the life of the batteries. Dead/run down batteries freezing ( you are using them in freezing conditions) is not conducive for a long life.

RavYak
02-02-2017, 08:55 PM
Here's my old man logic.... forget the hand and power augers and go back to using an ice chisel. They don't break down, don't need gas and only need sharpening once every other year and only cost 50 bucks. You get a little exercise and build up an appetite for fish. Takes about 5 minutes to go through 2 feet of ice and you can make wide angle hole any size for good viewing. I have been using a chisel for 30+ years of ice fishing.

This was my last chisel that another AO member bought and he tells me he enjoys using it.

40 holes, 200 minutes aka ~3.5 hours.

No thanks, I will stick to my power auger lol.

tangledangler
02-02-2017, 08:56 PM
I am not a fan of my 8" eskimo stingray auger. The pull start broke before I even had the auger on the lake and I was not abusing it at all. I find the plastic components to be cheap and extremely brittle when its cold outside. Both the throttle and clutch lever have snapped off the auger. The latest failure was the bolt holding the flight onto the motor snapped off when I got to the bottom of a hole and down to the bottom of the lake it went....That was a $220 replacement.

The only upside to this auger is the motor runs flawlessly and starts with one pull 95% of the time.

Red Bullets
02-02-2017, 09:09 PM
40 holes, 200 minutes aka ~3.5 hours.

No thanks, I will stick to my power auger lol.

You only need one hole to catch fish. And a second hole for a tip up. :)

morinj
02-02-2017, 10:43 PM
Wow I didn't expect so much feedback, thank you all! I am now considering a strike master aswell, they appear to be pretty solid, and you can't beat Honda engines!!!

Tcon
02-02-2017, 10:59 PM
Wow I didn't expect so much feedback, thank you all! I am now considering a strike master aswell, they appear to be pretty solid, and you can't beat Honda engines!!!

I agree, great information here. My strikemaster lazer mag express 8" is close to 18 years old and starts on the first pull. The thing is fast and hasn't quit on me yet even though I tend to punch quite a few holes. I'm having a hard time letting it go but its getting more and more difficult to get new blades. For myself its a tossup I really am unsure what to get next.. hopefully something stands out by next season.

Kim473
02-03-2017, 07:55 AM
I prefer an 8 inch hole 99% of the time. I only want a 10 inch if going for 20 lb pike/lakers. Sight fishing they are kind of nice too but if I really want I just drill 2-4 holes together with my 8 inch and that solves that.

I don't like the 10 inch augers for normal use because they are so much heavier, slower tougher drilling and too easy to drop things into or accidentally step into.

8" to 10" upgrade increased the weight by maybe 1/2 a lb at most. Same head with my upgrade so speed did not slow down. Just made it a little harder to hold on to it.

TylerThomson
02-03-2017, 08:05 AM
I agree, great information here. My strikemaster lazer mag express 8" is close to 18 years old and starts on the first pull. The thing is fast and hasn't quit on me yet even though I tend to punch quite a few holes. I'm having a hard time letting it go but its getting more and more difficult to get new blades. For myself its a tossup I really am unsure what to get next.. hopefully something stands out by next season.

Did they have a different blade style on the older strikemaster? You can get blades online at cabelas and I know Sylvester sports here in bonnyville carries them. If they switched on you you could always just buy a different flight as long as they didn't switch shady diameters as well.

TylerThomson
02-03-2017, 08:07 AM

Hahaha that's like walking into a muscle car show and asking which is better Chevy ford or Mopar.

Newellknik
02-03-2017, 08:14 AM
This Ion might be my 8 th auger ....

So far , so gooooood !

TylerThomson
02-03-2017, 08:28 AM
https://youtu.be/GIw9HhBqRUw

Strikemaster vs ion.

This is what clinched it for me.

Mayhem
02-03-2017, 05:03 PM
If you're going gas...

X2 on the Strikemaster. My 10" Solo with the dual blades starts easy, has loads of power and cuts like a machine. As already stated, I run premium with Seafoam and use new fuel every season.......

My last auger was an 8" LazerMag Express, with the 2.5 hp Solo motor. Relatively light, unstoppable power and zero problems. Drilled many a hole with it, great machine. Only reason I sold it was I got a killer deal on a brand new 4 stroke.

Just got a strike master honda lite. Starts first pull. Has lots of torque and cuts like a bugger and is much quieter, lighter and better on fuel the old jiffy 2hp auger I had and no mixing gas required either. Only a 2 year warranty on the engine though.

Had one of these since the beginning of last season and agree with everything you said. Not quite as fast as a 2 stroke but sips fuel and lighter. Can't go wrong with Honda power.

EZM
02-03-2017, 08:25 PM
I sold my Eskimo Z71 which would rip down a hole so fast you had to hold on for dear life. Amazing power and cut like a dream. Heavy and lots of torque - of you are a small guy or have a bad back - might be too much IMO.

The only downside in my mind was gas/oil smell and spills.

I went to a Eskimo propane. Way lighter, cuts a little slower but still faster than most. One pull and she fires up - never temperamental - no oil/gas to spill or stink.

The 1lb bottle, in my mind, is just like taking care of a battery, no different really, if it's under minus 20, keep a spare in the tent or in the truck. Difference is I don't worry about how much juice (battery) I have left.

TylerThomson
02-03-2017, 09:20 PM
You don't have to worry about how much juice you have left unless you are walking onto the ice and cutting slightly more than 1000 inches of ice. You haul an extra tank I bring a charger. Not much different. Haven't had to charge it yet on the ice. I drilled around 30-40 holes today.

Really don't get why guys slag on a battery running out of juice. Guys with gas augers bring jerry cans. Guys with propane bring extra tanks. Guys with electric bring a charger. Pretty simple.

Tcon
02-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Did they have a different blade style on the older strikemaster? You can get blades online at cabelas and I know Sylvester sports here in bonnyville carries them. If they switched on you you could always just buy a different flight as long as they didn't switch shady diameters as well.

Thanks for the info, I'll give them a call. Great idea about the flight!

ab_hunter
02-04-2017, 12:32 AM
X2

You don't have to worry about how much juice you have left unless you are walking onto the ice and cutting slightly more than 1000 inches of ice. You haul an extra tank I bring a charger. Not much different. Haven't had to charge it yet on the ice. I drilled around 30-40 holes today.

Really don't get why guys slag on a battery running out of juice. Guys with gas augers bring jerry cans. Guys with propane bring extra tanks. Guys with electric bring a charger. Pretty simple.

morinj
02-05-2017, 11:08 AM
I grabbed the 51 cc 10" blade Eskimo, I figure that with a 5 yrs warranty I can't go wrong, even if it craps out at the end! Thanks for all the feedback it is always appreciated!