PDA

View Full Version : Two stroke pre-mixed Fuel

Pickrel_jigger
02-05-2017, 07:43 PM
Wondering what people think of the pre-mixed two stroke fuel you can buy. If you notice a difference from buying gas and mixing it yourself. The premix is supposed to have a long shelf life, but some two stroke oils already have stabilizers etc in them already. I dont get out a ton so a 1 gallon mixed can of gas seems to last me forever. I also notice there are about 4 brands out there, purefuel, still, vp racing and Husqvarna. I noticed the husqvarna fuel is 95 octane. Let me know your thoughts and if u saw any performance issues/increase.

Tom Pullings
02-05-2017, 07:49 PM
Love it. The convenience and shelf life are worth the price to me.

trouty
02-05-2017, 08:04 PM
Aspen also. No need for seafoam or stabilizer.

wbaj
02-05-2017, 08:15 PM
I have used aspen for a few years now.....no problems with storing engine over the summer, motor seems to behave good, no issues. Will keep using it.

ghostguy6
02-05-2017, 08:32 PM
Just make sure you check with your augers warranty. Eskimo and Stihl won't honor the warranty if your not using their mix.

Pickrel_jigger
02-05-2017, 08:46 PM
Where can you get the Aspen stuff from. Also my auger is old and no warrant on it so no need to worry what brand I am using in it?

diamond k
02-05-2017, 09:00 PM
Just make sure you check with your augers warranty. Eskimo and Stihl won't honor the warranty if your not using their mix.

And they can prove this how?

sureshot
02-05-2017, 09:01 PM
You can get it at lawn mower hospital. I use top fuel from Canadian Tire

ghostguy6
02-05-2017, 09:10 PM
And they can prove this how?

Their stuff has a bluish tint, Aspen is a light yellow. I don't know about the other premixes available. There are tests the manufacturer's can do if they are willing to go to those lengths. I'm sure most people would simply tell the warranty rep what fuel they were using if asked, then the rep would have enough to void the warranty.

lakeman
02-05-2017, 10:19 PM
You can get Aspen at AFG.

bighorn1
02-05-2017, 10:21 PM
i have used the stihl premix and the auger seems to turn another 200 rpm running it. it is convenient for sure nice small can that you can carry with you. pricey but hey thats convenience.

Tom Pullings
02-06-2017, 01:09 AM
I don't even winterize my two stroke equipment anymore cause it takes a lot more than 6 months for real gas to go bad.

dwedmon
02-06-2017, 09:12 AM
Switched to the premix this year and it's great. Auger starts way easier and you don't need to worry about the fuel going bad. It costs more but its well worth the money. A can of premix will probably last you the whole season so even if it costs a bit more its not a big deal.

I just buy the premix they have at Lowes, can't remember the name of the brand but they only sell 1 brand.

stubblejumper01
02-06-2017, 07:45 PM
Been using the Aspen fuel for3 years now in all my 2 stroke stuff. Weed wacker,chainsaws,ice auger. Don't use the chainsaws more than a couple of times a year and no longer have trouble staring them after long dormant periods.
It is 50-1 and works for everything very well. Some people get caught up in keeping to the recommended ratio but once the warranty is up 50-1 is good for everything. A small engine mechanic told me it was an optimum mix for any application.
I got mine at the Stihl store on Mayfield road. They sell a Stihl blend too but it's more money.

timsesink
02-06-2017, 10:01 PM
Picked Aspen. What a difference! Worth every penny.

The Fisherman Guy
02-07-2017, 12:22 AM
http://opti2-4.com/images/Opti2Green.jpg

Taken from their website:

Opti-2 is a specialized two-cycle, single mix ratio lubricant engineered for use in all two-cycle engines, regardless of brand, model, or mix ratio. Opti-2 is rated ISO-EG-D++, the highest rating available in the stringent International Standards Organization global performance ratings system. Opti-2 meets and exceeds all equipment manufacturers rating requirements. Opti-2 is formulated utilizing patented Eutectic additive technology that provides exclusive performance results:
One gas can covers all two-cycle engines
Highest rated 2-cycle oil in industry
A single mix for all two-cycle engines
Increased performance and longer engine life
Smoke-free operation
Gasohol compatible
Contains "Opti-Mizer" 24 month fuel stabilizer.
Opti-2 delivers all these features while being the most environmentally friendly two-cycle mix oil available. Opti-2's smoke reduction, and gasohol compatibility contribute to cleaner air, while up to 60% less oil is required, which helps conserve a precious non-renewable resource.

Opa
02-07-2017, 04:25 AM

Opti-2 is a specialized two-cycle, single mix ratio lubricant engineered for use in all two-cycle engines, regardless of brand, model, or mix ratio. Opti-2 is rated ISO-EG-D++, the highest rating available in the stringent International Standards Organization global performance ratings system. Opti-2 meets and exceeds all equipment manufacturers rating requirements. Opti-2 is formulated utilizing patented Eutectic additive technology that provides exclusive performance results:
Smoke-free operation
Gasohol compatible
Opti-2 delivers all these features while being the most environmentally friendly two-cycle mix oil available. Opti-2's smoke reduction, and gasohol compatibility contribute to cleaner air, while up to 60% less oil is required, which helps conserve a precious non-renewable resource.

x2!!!! I have been using it for 30 yrs. in all of my 2 cycle engines. Buy it in the "pillowpaks" that will mix either 5l or 10l. Simple as hell, no mess, innaccurate measuring, or confusion among the different fuel cans.

Thunder/FX
02-07-2017, 06:58 PM
I don't even winterize my two stroke equipment anymore cause it takes a lot more than 6 months for real gas to go bad.

Unless you are using Premium fuel with no ethanol added, your gas is not good for more than a month.
Todays fuels are the number 1 cause of small engine trouble.
I strongly recommend the use of these new Aspen type fuels.
If you want to ask how I know, PM me.

dangerranger5143
02-07-2017, 07:31 PM
I was given a brand new (about 3.5 holes drilled) 10" auger. It was lent out and was ran off of a mixed fuel using the smoke less oil. Lasted about 1.5 holes before it seized solid. I bought the parts (about $300) and rebuilt it.

All of my 2 stroke engines run on fuel ice mixed myself. 40:1 premium with Stihl 2 stroke oil. My grandfather has used this mix for many decades. He always says it's better to have a little more smoke (and stink) then to run it lean.

Not saying anything bad about pre mixed fuels but I've always being a fan of knowing what your running. Disposing a 1/2 gallon of fuel once and a while is cheaper then repair or replacement.

DR

Tom Pullings
02-07-2017, 09:48 PM
Unless you are using Premium fuel with no ethanol added, your gas is not good for more than a month.

Todays fuels are the number 1 cause of small engine trouble.

I strongly recommend the use of these new Aspen type fuels.

If you want to ask how I know, PM me.

Sorry I may have given the wrong idea. I mean I use the canned fuels and they take years to go bad.

Tigger72
02-08-2017, 04:32 PM

Smoke-free operation
Gasohol compatible

+2^^^^ Opti in my auger, my chainsaw, used it in my KTM 300, my 9.9hp merc, jr50Z dirt bike... never an issue!!!! Swear by it... ( I do buy it buy the big jugs, but the little packets are nice!!) And I mix it 100:1 as per manufacturs reccomnendations... I know... some out there are gonna say "you can't do that" or " you're just waiting for your engine to blow..... hasn't happened yet... and its been used in bikes/motors from the 1980's to 2010.... not an issue !!

Xbolt7mm
02-08-2017, 04:45 PM
+2^^^^ Opti in my auger, my chainsaw, used it in my KTM 300, my 9.9hp merc, jr50Z dirt bike... never an issue!!!! Swear by it... ( I do buy it buy the big jugs, but the little packets are nice!!) And I mix it 100:1 as per manufacturs reccomnendations... I know... some out there are gonna say "you can't do that" or " you're just waiting for your engine to blow..... hasn't happened yet... and its been used in bikes/motors from the 1980's to 2010.... not an issue !!

The best two stroke oil made!!!!

fordtruckin
07-06-2017, 09:38 PM
I've been using vp 50:1 in my Stihl 291 this fall. So far so good. Yeah it's more expensive but I only burn wood for heat so if I spend 69$ on 5 gallons and that cuts enough wood to heat my place all winter I figure it's pretty cheap. Maybe I'll try just using premium next year with a good 2 stroke oil. Who knows as I just bought another 5 of vp.

dangerranger5143
07-06-2017, 10:58 PM
My personal preference for the past couple years has being mixing my fuel myself. I use Stihl Premium 2 stroke oil. Google a fuel mix calculator to save yourself the math. Always mix mine a little rich just to be sure. Grandpa always told me a little more smoke is better then a rebuild.

DR

MrDave
07-07-2017, 08:34 AM
Premixed is for those who can't read a measuring cup. Buy premium gas a little at a time. Mix it and use it up. Keep it fresh and pour it into the vehicles when it sits for a couple of weeks.

TylerThomson
07-07-2017, 08:39 AM
I use it in my auger and all my yard equipment. I never empty my tanks when I store them and they fire up the next year like they are excited to do their job.

dfrobert
07-07-2017, 09:42 AM
Motomix works great in my auger for running and storage. Carb is clean, plugs look perfect colour, zero issues.

calgarygringo
07-07-2017, 06:31 PM
Father in law got me on to Opti 25 or so years ago an he had been using it for years before that. Run it in both ice augers, Husky chain saw, weed wacker and any other 2 stroke. I like one mix for all and with several toys it never gets old. Also had stabilizer built in so no big deal if it does sit for a while. http://opti2-4.com/images/Opti2Green.jpg

Smoke-free operation
Gasohol compatible

Bushleague
07-08-2017, 06:00 AM
Premixed is for those who can't read a measuring cup. Buy premium gas a little at a time. Mix it and use it up. Keep it fresh and pour it into the vehicles when it sits for a couple of weeks.

You get a better mix if you do large quantities. Mixing small amounts of gas it is far more easy to get the ratio off. I mix my own gas and always will, but I use a fair amount of mixed gas. If one only uses a gallon or so in a year then I could see the pre-mix being a good option.

I use the Husqvarna brand oil which has stabilizer in it, and Shell premium gas which is supposed to have no ethanol. As long as I'm burning the gas in under a year I have never had any problems. I do run my carbs empty before long term storage though.

Puma
07-09-2017, 10:21 AM
Optimol/Optimix /Opti II only since the early eighties and never had an engine issue. They used to honor the OEM warranty X2 if you used it from the start up.

I have a Pioneer Farmlite chainsaw that has never seen anything else since new and runs like a new saw. I try to use premium gas as well.

Predator
07-09-2017, 12:28 PM
Ive got at gallon jug of Opti-2 thats 80% full still. If someone is looking for a good deal on it, let me know

Fwee6
07-09-2017, 11:15 PM
Like a lot of previous posts, I too don't use 2-stroke fuel regularly.
I dabbled for the first time this winter with pre-mixed in my auger and loved it. It ran like snot.

This wknd I put older mixed gas into my little chainsaw to use it up. I didn't get 4 cuts into a little piece of pine before it started running like sh*t.

Lesson learned. Never again. Pre-mixed here to forward...

FISHBATTEREDBEER
07-10-2017, 08:38 PM
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=testing+amsoil+2+stroke+oil&&view=detail&mid=CFCAAF8737053635FC1BCFCAAF8737053635FC1B&FORM=VRDGAR

mix a 20l can of gas with a shot of stabiler and you have gas for all your stuff for the next yr.

does it ALL outdoors
07-11-2017, 05:37 PM
Like a lot of previous posts, I too don't use 2-stroke fuel regularly.
I dabbled for the first time this winter with pre-mixed in my auger and loved it. It ran like snot.

This wknd I put older mixed gas into my little chainsaw to use it up. I didn't get 4 cuts into a little piece of pine before it started running like sh*t.

Lesson learned. Never again. Pre-mixed here to forward...

So old fuel is not as good as new fuel? Weird

How old? Sure of the ratio? Quality oil? Lots of variables there, not really a fair comparison.

You can mix your own for about 5X less and use high octane premium juice and top of the line Oil. Mixing is simple and takes no time

I also mix a little rich

Talking moose
07-11-2017, 05:53 PM
Took me 26 cans to fill up the boat yesterday. I think it might be running a bit smoother. WIN!!!!!:sHa_sarcasticlol: