PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing danger !

Newellknik
02-08-2017, 12:55 PM
Sand in the top surface of the ice ....Jiffy blades not really a problem.

But all those cheap augers with replacement blades , even the ion
Those blades come razor sharp , but a couple of holes dullsville .
All those southern reservoirs this year will have sand in the ice.
I use a spud bar or hatchet and break the down a inch or so .
Scrape it away .

Crawling valley ....springs and gas bubbles . Thin ice

Travers .....springs and top water . Stay away from the steel
Dock poles.....at Prov park campground .

And of course Frank Lake , cattails can really play havoc
With your jigs .

TROLLER
02-08-2017, 03:38 PM
So now I am curious what makes a Jiffy blade any different than any other when it comes to sanding out.

Went to Twinn a yr or so ago and after drilling the first hole with his Jiffy my buddies blades were done. Same thing happened to a guy who showed up right behind us with his Eskimo.

make does not matter, sand will dull any blade. I agree with chopping up the ice before hand if you suspect sand. Can sure save a good chunk of money

anthony5
02-08-2017, 03:41 PM
I have never come upon any springs while ice fishing on Travers, what part or parts of the lake did you find these?

TylerThomson
02-08-2017, 04:30 PM
Get yourself some chipper blades if you are worried about dirty ice. They are way tougher. Buy the trade off is they cut slower and put more torque into the wing nut holding the auger.

WayneChristie
02-08-2017, 05:41 PM
Get yourself some chipper blades if you are worried about dirty ice. They are way tougher. Buy the trade off is they cut slower and put more torque into the wing nut holding the auger.

chippers dull just as fast on southern lakes, chinooks leave a good coating of sand on a lot of the lakes . after a chinnok I have to sharpen my blades every trip, and with the meltwater the sand is a lot further down into the ice, not much way to get around it down here. nice when the snow melts though so its a tradeoff I guess

TylerThomson
02-08-2017, 05:43 PM
I didn't know that. Thanks Wayne

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

PerchBuster
02-08-2017, 05:56 PM
chippers dull just as fast on southern lakes, chinooks leave a good coating of sand on a lot of the lakes . after a chinnok I have to sharpen my blades every trip, and with the meltwater the sand is a lot further down into the ice, not much way to get around it down here. nice when the snow melts though so its a tradeoff I guess

That sucks, the things we have to do to catch a fish hey?! Every trip? Up north we just have to be careful not to drill in old truck tracks! That's one way to hone your sharpening skills though, I bet you're a wizard at it by now!

Newellknik
02-08-2017, 10:07 PM
I've found then ripper to be a little tougher than the Nor Mark
Type blades . But I'm retired and I don't fish as much as Wayne lol.

Travers .....spring along the shore just east of the two boat launches .

The west shore right across from the spillway .

anthony5
02-08-2017, 11:49 PM
I've found then ripper to be a little tougher than the Nor Mark
Type blades . But I'm retired and I don't fish as much as Wayne lol.

Travers .....spring along the shore just east of the two boat launches .

The west shore right across from the spillway .

Thx, been fishing the west side of the spillway area for over 30 years and never came across any issues, will keep an eye out.
East side of the boat launch is really shallow and some of the first stuff to heat up, is always a little sketchy.