PDA

View Full Version : Pike slime removal?

yoteblaster
02-13-2017, 07:16 AM
What's the best way to remove slime from pike. I roll them a couple times in newspaper. Seems to help quite a bit. Any tried and true methods that work real well?

Ronji
02-13-2017, 07:19 AM
In the summer when we fish from shore, we let them roll / flop on the grass.

blgoodbrand1
02-13-2017, 08:08 AM
Take the hook out and slowly place the fish back in the water. Gently let go.
Rebait your hook and continue fishing for walleye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cube
02-13-2017, 08:13 AM
What's the best way to remove slime from pike. I roll them a couple times in newspaper. Seems to help quite a bit. Any tried and true methods that work real well?

The only way is to remove all the skin.

yoteblaster
02-13-2017, 08:28 AM
Take the hook out and slowly place the fish back in the water. Gently let go.

That didn't take long. I was wondering how long it would take lol. I kinda like the taste of pike in the winter, slime is gross though

3blade
02-13-2017, 08:28 AM
I use newspaper as well. Seems to work better than paper towel or cloth.

dodgeboy1979
02-13-2017, 02:34 PM
quick dip in white vinegar and the you can wipe the slime off easy

Angler
02-13-2017, 03:05 PM
Put salt on the fish all over it, than wash it off in the sink. Works great!

yoteblaster
02-13-2017, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the tips folks

double gun
02-13-2017, 06:12 PM
Put salt on the fish all over it, than wash it off in the sink. Works great!

An old school taxidermist I asked said he soaks them in a strong salt water solution.

genno
02-13-2017, 06:52 PM
I just don't take the slime off, use a rough cut fence board to fillet them on so it doesn't slide around.

lone wolf
02-13-2017, 07:09 PM
quick dip in white vinegar and the you can wipe the slime off easy

x2

cschache
02-13-2017, 07:56 PM
take the hook out and slowly place the fish back in the water. Gently let go.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

haha! X2

Sea Hawk
02-13-2017, 08:32 PM
A friend of mine told me he steps on the tail a hits them with a pressure washer. It takes off the slime as well as the scales.

chucklesthe3rd
02-13-2017, 08:36 PM
after i fillet them i soak them in warm salt water for 30 min

EZM
02-13-2017, 08:38 PM
A friend of mine told me he steps on the tail a hits them with a pressure washer. It takes off the slime as well as the scales.

I bet the car wash attendants love that one ... imagine how far slimy scales can fly and how well they stick after they dry up .... lol ... I know I wouldn't try that one with my pressure washer at home - that's for sure.

In the winter - if you roll them in snow and give it a quick scrape with the back of the knife it tends to get most of it off.

In the summer, I usually just deal with it, but a good dusting of salt and a rinse a few minutes later really helps.

CBintheNorth
02-13-2017, 09:35 PM
I keep a bag of sawdust around. Put a few handfuls in a garbage bag with the fish and shake er up. Sawdust sticks to the slime and then you can easily scrape it all off with a stick or back of the knife. Pike is now dry as a bone.

I really enjoy eating deboned pike from cold, cold water when the meat is pinkish-white.
Warm and yellow, not so much.

Mountain Guy
02-13-2017, 10:04 PM
I keep a bag of sawdust around. Put a few handfuls in a garbage bag with the fish and shake er up. Sawdust sticks to the slime and then you can easily scrape it all off with a stick or back of the knife. Pike is now dry as a bone.

I really enjoy eating deboned pike from cold, cold water when the meat is pinkish-white.
Warm and yellow, not so much.

Actually if you deep fry those yellow one's in a coating of that sawdust it really improves the flavor..

CBintheNorth
02-13-2017, 10:24 PM
Actually if you deep fry those yellow one's in a coating of that sawdust it really improves the flavor..

Of the sawdust?

:)