PDA

View Full Version : snow geese route to arctic tundra

Diesel_wiesel
02-13-2017, 11:54 AM
thinking on a few post's by others

(wildside2014
One of the most incredible Snow spreads I've seen in recent memory was this past fall just outside of spirit river......).

from when I moved here to eastern SK there used to be millions of snows here in fall and spring
now only less then a 3rd come through this area but
can be spotted by the millions west of here
and way further west then they used to travel
do you think they change their migration routes due to food and weather change and availability in the north???

wildside2014
02-13-2017, 11:59 AM
thinking on a few post's by others

(wildside2014
One of the most incredible Snow spreads I've seen in recent memory was this past fall just outside of spirit river......).

from when I moved here to eastern SK there used to be millions of snows here in fall and spring
now only less then a 3rd come through this area but
can be spotted by the millions west of here
and way further west then they used to travel
do you think they change their migration routes due to food and weather change and availability in the north???

As far as to WHY they change routes, I really don't know. BUT, for sure they gradually change routes! Back in the old days my old man will be the firs to tell you that in our preferred zone geese were few and far between and mallards were the go to bird. Now, that same zone is arguably the best goose hunting zone in the province.

ward
02-13-2017, 05:34 PM
Talking to the locals where I have been hunting, they tell me they have not seen Snows in numbers like the last couple of years since they were kids. Not scientific, but they have noticed a huge increase in numbers.