PDA

View Full Version : Decent rod and reel combo?

Peace Meal Farm
02-16-2017, 10:11 PM
Moving back to the Yukon this summer - for good this time. I always thought that my spinning tackle was a little light for trout and pike up there unless I was using my mooching reel with lead core setup. Before I head north I want to grab a couple trolling rigs to take along. Looking for recommendations.

- right hand retrieve
- spooled to hold roughly ~18 lb mono
- medium to medium-heavy action, typical laker or pike is 5 to 10 lb but 20 to 30 lb is hardly uncommon
- level wind a must
- line counter would be nice

- mostly used for flatlining from ice-out at early june to the height of summer at mid-july
- spring will be trolling with just a big diving rapala or a 4" spoon.
- summer it might get a dipsy diver or a lake troll unless i'm working a river
- not going to be used on a downrigger

Any really good buys out there? I'm looking for some nice bang for the buck at a modest to moderate price point, say less than $200 per combo.

ontario gunner
02-17-2017, 05:30 AM
Cabelas Canada online has Daiwa sealine reels on sale. I'd go with the size 47 for your applications.. they are an excellent line counter reel and will be able too handle the fish you describe for a long long time. Think they were on sale for about $120 per.. great deal on a great reel.

If you want something that will definitely last a lifetime, shimano tekotas are the way to go.

Walleyedude
02-17-2017, 07:55 AM
If you want something that will definitely last a lifetime, shimano tekotas are the way to go.

X2.

If you want a reel that's going to stand up to big trout and pike in the wilds of the Yukon for the long term, there's really only one choice - Shimano Tekota.

If you can find a deal (all reels will be 10% off at The Fishin Hole at the Edmonton Sportsmens Show), you'll be a little over $200 per reel, but you won't regret it. They are all metal and bullet proof, the gears and drags are silky smooth, and they're just a joy to use.

For the line capacity you're looking for, I'd suggest the Tekota 600LC. The 500LC will definitely get the job done though if you're trolling with braid.

As for rods, look for something around 8', MH, but with a moderate action. You want something with a soft tip to telegraph the lure action, a long slow bend through the mid section to soak up the shocks, and plenty of backbone in the bottom half to get 30 lb'ers to the boat. You don't need to break the bank on a trolling rod, you just need to get the power/action right.

RavYak
02-17-2017, 10:09 AM
The Okuma Magda or Diawa Sealine are the only line counter reels in your price range. Not a fan of the Okuma's, have read some decent things about the Sealine's but have never played with one.

This is one of those times that I would really recommend biting the bullet and stepping up in price to the Tekota just as others stated. A very nice reel, I own a 600LC and was using it for bottom fishing and salmon fishing out at the coast last year.

If you are going to use 20-30 lb mono then definitely go with the Tekota 600LC but if you are going to use braid it is way overkill for pike/lakers. The 500LC is still overkill but gives you the power handle and could still be used if you go out to the coast, Mexico, Florida, etc. The 300LC with 30 lb braid would get the job done too if you prefer its style of handle, would have 250 yards of line which is plenty for pike/lakers but would be a bit small out at the coast etc.

As walleyedude says a longer softer rod is great for trolling. The TDR's are nothing special but they are cheap and would get the job done and allow you to save a few bucks towards the reels if you chose to go with a Tekota.

Walleyedude
02-17-2017, 10:41 AM
I absolutely LOVE my Tekotas, so here's a couple more thoughts on choosing the right size after my experience with them.

The first thing is that unless you're bottom fishing in saltwater, you're not likely going to be holding these reels all day long like a spinning setup, they go in the rod holder. The 1-2 oz difference in weight from the 300 to the 600 is not that significant in that case.

So there's two key factors - line capacity and drag strength. Line capacity is obvious, but drag strength is something to consider as well. The 300 has a max drag of 12 lbs, the 500/600 are 18 lbs. They're both plenty strong, but that added drag strength is significant if fighting larger fish, even when trolling for pike/walleye. You don't need to crank the drag down as hard on the 500/600 as you do on the 300, that generally means a smoother, more consistent drag.

The other big factor is handle design. Pick them all up and see what feels best to you.

My recommendations based on having had all three sizes -

600LC - If you prefer to troll with heavier mono, or you think you might ever want to run a leadcore setup, the 600LC is ideal. The size/weight penalty over the 500LC is very minimal.

300LC - it's lighter, more compact, and if you're going to be holding the rod, it's worth considering. Line capacity is more than enough for pike/walleye fishing, especially with braid. The lower drag strength and the smaller double paddle handle are downsides for me.

500LC - The sweet spot. After fishing with a 500 LC, I sold my 300LCs and replaced them with 500LCs. I MUCH prefer the larger handle on the 500LCs. Whether fighting a fish or just reeling in to clean off or change a crank, they're just a lot more comfortable and "intuitive" to use. They have the line capacity for just about anything short serious blue water fishing or trying to get 10 colors of leadcore on them. The added drag strength is really nice too, you can set them fairly light and still have a lot of adjustability as required. The drag system is amazing. For a reel that's in a rod holder most of the time, the minor weight penalty is entirely worth it in my opinion.

Everyone's mileage will definitely vary, just thought I'd post my experience in case anyone was thinking about taking the plunge and investing in the Tekotas.

RavYak
02-17-2017, 11:24 AM
The 300LC shows as 18 lbs drag on their website(I see 12 on bass pro though). It might have been upgraded or one of the sites must be wrong.

I just was rereading OP and noticed 18 lb mono, the 500 would be a good size for that.

Where the 300 shines is if you think you are going to use it occasionally for casting instead of trolling. I wouldn't want to use my 600 for a casting reel(300 not ideal either but if he doesn't have something else would be better).

ontario gunner
02-17-2017, 12:12 PM
Stay away from okuma Magdas and convectors.. I've had several of them pile up on me pulling smaller dipsy divers or inline boards, the gears couldn't handle those objects, I could imagine what a 30lb pike would do to them.

Tekotas aren't cheap but are worth the money,, those Daiwa sea lines are a step below a tekota but are also excellent reels., and at that sale price are definitely what I would buy for your use.(this is coming from a guy that owns 12 tekotas,, but I fish 5-8 hours a day for about 110-120 days a year.)

last minute
02-17-2017, 01:12 PM
Penn reels enough said.