PDA

View Full Version : Newell Warnings

coyote_man
02-18-2017, 12:56 PM
There are a number of large holes that have been created by the past melts.One up by the island north of the park and several down by Jackfish Bay that I am aware of.Use care and caution when driving as these holes may even have a very thin layer of ice on top and if you find any and have items to mark them with please do so.

James Henry
02-18-2017, 07:46 PM
Good to know! Thank you, we are heading out tomorrow morning.
JH

Habfan
02-18-2017, 08:31 PM
What is the cause of these holes besides the warm weather ? For example, are they places where shacks once were or people drilling 2-3 holes together ? How big are these holes ? I'm just curious as I usually drive on in the dark.

WayneChristie
02-18-2017, 11:00 PM
What is the cause of these holes besides the warm weather ? For example, are they places where shacks once were or people drilling 2-3 holes together ? How big are these holes ? I'm just curious as I usually drive on in the dark.

there was a big pressure crack by the boatlaunch, and it opened up a while back, Ive seen holes on all the lakes Ive fished the last week, anywhere there is shallow water with a dark bottom or rocks at the shore its thawing with the sunshine.

Habfan
02-19-2017, 08:32 AM
I thought he meant holes out in the middle of nowhere ! I always stay away from islands and shorelines this time of year. Thanks for reporting though :). I'm hoping to get out tomorrow, hopefully I can get the truck on !

coyote_man
02-19-2017, 09:28 AM
The holes I'm talking about can be anywhere and not shore or pressure ridge related.Im thinking they were enlarged or caused by water going back in from the previous thaw.They are nasty.

Habfan
02-19-2017, 09:39 AM
Thanks for clearing that up ! I guess I should go elsewhere. :)