PDA

View Full Version : its settled Cold Lake june 13 14 15. Any advice is more than welcome.

godziuk
04-14-2009, 06:18 PM
just booked the site, 2 km to launch but hopefully can beach my boat at Bonnyville md site. any tips on the lake? such a huge lake instills a little fear in me. would like to get one good panfry of perch and one of walleye. other than that all are going back in. thanks for any advice and keep on fishing legal and respocibly.

fisher Gord
04-14-2009, 06:55 PM
you will want you load your boat every night and keep it close to you. Lake trout will be about 10 ft down.over200ft of water, use a 5/8 keel weight 4or 5 ft leader and a pearl and red canoe spoon
any long coyute spoon or tomic spoon,green/white, blue/white. For walleye go over the sand bar into the back of long bay,quietly.

FishinFreak
04-14-2009, 08:07 PM
don't know what size boat you are using but be careful crossing the sand bar; its got rocks :mad3: I got a 17ft Lund and only use my trolling motor to cross it, and I don't go over it when its windy cause the waves can get going well enough to make me bottom out over the bar
I've had good luck with walleye by going straight out from the park launch staying to the left of the sand bar and going around the shore into the next bay; I think its called French bay but I'm not positive; anyways the bay is real shallow but just outside its entrance is a rock ledge which sticks out of the water, fish its edges for walleye; the bay is also a good place to ride out a squall to

Walleyes
04-15-2009, 07:29 AM
There has been a lot of interest in Cold Lake recently. Over the last couple years we discussed Cold Lake extensivly I did some seaching and found a couple posts for you guys to go through.

Through personel experience on Cold Lake I do not beleive they will be all that shallow that time of year. As you will read its always good to run one shallow rod but I would be concetrating on the 40' to 75' range. There are many good Laker spoons none seem to out produce the other in any great deal on that lake bait is always the best bet..

Good luck.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=5139&highlight=cold+lake

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=3964&highlight=cold+lake

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=4549&highlight=cold+lake

Should be some valuable info for you if you go through these posts.

tyee33
04-15-2009, 12:44 PM
The main problem we face right now is when the ice breaks up.All the snow is gone in my yard but closing day this winter there was easily 3 1/2 ft of ice on Cold lake.I have fished this lake for the last 7 years and break up is usually a factor to where the lakers will be early in the season.Last spring I was catching them at 20ft cruising in 150-200 depths.The ice was just off on May long last year and we DIDNT have 3 1/2 ft of ice on closing last year.It could be a late break up, if so, expect the lakers to be shallow in early, mid June feeding like crazy.I have fished the great lakes with NKs, (lived in Sudbury most of my life) and yes, they are the spoon used most, I have yet to even get a sniff on the NK "monkey puke" in Cold Lake.Caughts hundreds of lakers and salmon on it back east, here nothing to date.I personally drag a pink lady or dipsy with a Manistee lure with 45 ft of line pulled out on my line counter usually till mide June then start to hit the thermoclines at 60-80 ft with the riggers for a month after that.Head deep to 100-120 ft in August.I still use a Manistee on 1 line but the trusty green headed herring rig has never let me down.As mentioned, it all depends on when the lake breaks up and this year it could be later than the last few for opening.Any questions on when the lakers are hitting, just watch the charters, if all of them are out fishing, odds are the lakers are shallow and the frenzy has started.Hope this helps...Im usually down by the ice everyday till opening season and have reported ice conditions just on another fishing board

-JR-
04-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi tyee33
Sounds like you are the guy with most of the info.
I too am heading up for spring lakers and was going to launch from the Merina.But found out they do not allow trucks with boat trailers in their parking lot.Was told there is a free truck and boat trailer parking lot near by !
How far and which way is that from the merina and is it posted ?

godziuk
04-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Iv never targeted lakers, nor do i have the gear to go after them, i would like to target a few walleye and perch. appreciate the laker tips but wont be fishing them. Any help on them?