PDA

View Full Version : Great perch day

birdsntrout
02-25-2017, 09:43 PM
Today I went with some friends to the annual perch fishing derby on Lake Sundance in Calgary. Great day for the kids, I saw at least 6 kids between 4-8 years catch their first fish ever. Dozens of perch being pulled through the ice. Lots of fun. A gentleman by the name of Bob was going around to all the different groups of fishers, helping the kids be successful. A good friend made an awesome pot of chili. Sometimes these outings that aren't too serious are getting to be more fun.:)

Sundancefisher
02-26-2017, 08:20 AM
Today I went with some friends to the annual perch fishing derby on Lake Sundance in Calgary. Great day for the kids, I saw at least 6 kids between 4-8 years catch their first fish ever. Dozens of perch being pulled through the ice. Lots of fun. A gentleman by the name of Bob was going around to all the different groups of fishers, helping the kids be successful. A good friend made an awesome pot of chili. Sometimes these outings that aren't too serious are getting to be more fun.:)

We had a ton more kids this year and set a record for attendance. Weather improved through the day. Rob and I went around helping folks out. Unfortunately some were very novice and took more time than others. Next year I will set up a clinic on the ice to demonstrate technique. Some came with only summer rods, 12 lb test, large walleye jigs with steal leaders.

It is an education.

People in these lakes need light to ultra light tackle...6 lb test average...small spoons, spinners, jigs, flies...size 16-10 for nymphs, 10-6 for leeches.

Seeing kids catching there first fish was priceless.

chucklesthe3rd
02-26-2017, 05:50 PM

is dis 4 da public?

TylerThomson
02-26-2017, 07:23 PM
What?

caliberX
02-26-2017, 07:38 PM
You can't beat the joy of a child's first catch!

goldscud
02-26-2017, 08:13 PM
It is so much fun helping little kids (and ladies like Sylvia) get into their first fish birdsntrout.
Glad you guys had a good time and I hope the little guy didn't hurt your feelings too bad by all the perch he pulled in.
Thanks for the chilli.

Sundance is a private residential lake in Calgary. Homeowners can invite a couple of guests to come fishing

Cheers, Rob