PDA

View Full Version : Some Tank BC Rainbows Through the Ice

Brandonkop
02-26-2017, 06:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiFQQMX4OEE

Ice fishing for some of the biggest trout I have ever caught. These submarine rainbows below ice are absolute pigs and have a healthy diet of scuds or shrimp. This lake underwent some retrofitting with rotenone poison and once cleared of invasive species it was restocked with trout. These trout have grown so fast and really do make an exciting day of fishing. Here are some of my tips to chosing a lake in your area that may have some giant trout just like these.

johnny2
02-27-2017, 01:13 PM
Another great vid Bkop, the last one was a wall mount, bucket list Bow !

flyguyd
02-27-2017, 06:57 PM
Sorry for the small derail:thinking-006: Some sweet Rainbows there Brandon:sHa_shakeshout:

chucklesthe3rd
02-27-2017, 07:52 PM
saw this vid on the day it come out man! Great vid! Keep the good vids coming! tight lines!

Deep
02-28-2017, 02:32 AM
Yes, Brandon a great video- we would expect nothing less....hehe.

TylerThomson
02-28-2017, 03:23 AM
Great video again Brandon. And some good entertainment in the thread. I'm not going to go on a rant in your thread as you did a great job of getting your point across but I will say anti Vax people make me sad and angry at the same time. It's like they are determined to have history repeat.

Anyway great video and awesome fish.

waterninja
02-28-2017, 10:15 AM
Great vid Brandon. I'm a real trout fan. Pity that fool had to try to derail with his troll. I do have a couple questions for you
... How deep is that lake and how deep were you fishing?
... If this is a stocked lake why are there male bows? Are they hoping that these bows will start reproducing?
Thanks for entertaining vid.

Brandonkop
02-28-2017, 11:17 AM
Great vid Brandon. I'm a real trout fan. Pity that fool had to try to derail with his troll. I do have a couple questions for you
... How deep is that lake and how deep were you fishing?
... If this is a stocked lake why are there male bows? Are they hoping that these bows will start reproducing?
Thanks for entertaining vid.

If they stock male bows there are male bows in the lake. It's not to promote natural reproduction as I believe they are all triploid. From what I read All Female Triploids are more complex and likely more expensive to develop. They have all female brook trout that they stock in BC and they may have rainbows too, but most lakes stocked with rainbows are just triploid and not all female. If you look at the bc stocking lists it will say AF to denote all female when the strain only has females. Personally I love catching the MALE fish since I think they are more stunning in appearance.

waterninja
02-28-2017, 11:35 AM
If they stock male bows there are male bows in the lake. It's not to promote natural reproduction as I believe they are all triploid. From what I read All Female Triploids are more complex and likely more expensive to develop. They have all female brook trout that they stock in BC and they may have rainbows too, but most lakes stocked with rainbows are just triploid and not all female. If you look at the bc stocking lists it will say AF to denote all female when the strain only has females. Personally I love catching the MALE fish since I think they are more stunning in appearance.
I agree with you about the Males (esp. the big fellows with hooked jaw) being nicer to look at. Makes you wonder why they only stock females in AB.

Brandonkop
02-28-2017, 05:32 PM
I agree with you about the Males (esp. the big fellows with hooked jaw) being nicer to look at. Makes you wonder why they only stock females in AB.

I've asked and the BC fisheries reply why they stock ALL FEMALE Brooke Trout is because females grow faster, have better quality meat year round and have better survivability post spawning period. I guess the males even though triploid still go through some spawning changes which shortens life expectancy.

MBL
02-28-2017, 05:44 PM
They don't stock only females in alberta. Go to My Wild Alberta and look at the stocking reports. They tell you what fish are stocked into each pond and how many. It will also tell you the fish strain and it's ploidy. Lots of 2n fish stocked in alberta.

TylerThomson
02-28-2017, 06:42 PM
Do you even read the crap you link? That's talking about chronic exposure. Here you go this is literally the last paragraph

It can be lethal if taken in large, concentrated doses, which is not the case for commercially-sold products. It is considered safe for the environment as it loses all its toxicity within a few days. - Sapa-AFP

thumper
02-28-2017, 09:25 PM
"Fear life all you want, must be an anxious existence."

Great line Brandon. Getting up every morning must suck for some people!

catnthehat
02-28-2017, 10:04 PM
This thread started great and got derailed fast
I closed it for a bit while I cleaned it up for you Brandon.
Cat

58thecat
03-01-2017, 05:47 AM
Thanks cat....luv the fishing vids! I remember the one when the fella in the boat jumped overboard!:)
Keep'em coming!

hunter11
03-02-2017, 12:57 PM
Great video Doc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brandonkop
03-02-2017, 07:25 PM
Thanks cat....luv the fishing vids! I remember the one when the fella in the boat jumped overboard!:)
Keep'em coming!

Thanks, yeah my youngest brother usually does the crazy stuff in the videos. Like jumping off boats into the ocean like you saw. Walking around nearly naked on the ice behind me. He says the only videos worth watching are the ones with him in them. What do you expect from the youngest brother though, haha. 16 years younger!

Here's a link to the Salmon Backflip one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvnGF04xCmI

Ice Fishing Superman Boxers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUfOypg9x8w