PDA

View Full Version : 2 Different looking Rainbows

Barnes19
02-27-2017, 01:43 PM
I caught 2 different looking Rainbows on Saturday, they were both caught in a stocked lake and are similar in size so I'm assuming from the same year class. From the photo attached does anyone know or have any ideas why they would look so different? Also the darker fish's meat was almost white while the lighter fish's meat was bright orange.

AlbertaDang
02-27-2017, 01:48 PM
Is the top one a Kootenay Trout?

SNAPFisher
02-27-2017, 02:24 PM
I caught 2 different looking Rainbows on Saturday, they were both caught in a stocked lake and are similar in size so I'm assuming from the same year class. From the photo attached does anyone know or have any ideas why they would look so different? Also the darker fish's meat was almost white while the lighter fish's meat was bright orange.

Top - Female bow
Bottom - Male bow

I've seen that same thing in other trout, including other bows, where the male's meat and color changes the closer to spawning time. They are not worth keeping but you have or will likely found out this.

P.S. Male brookies can be even worse and stink to high heaven.

MBL
02-27-2017, 03:52 PM
The light colored one is female. The dark one is male. Throw the dark ones back they are not very palatable. Learned this the hard way.

Barnes19
02-27-2017, 04:27 PM
Thanks guys! I didn't realize stocked Rainbows were affected by spawn cycles.

MBL
02-27-2017, 04:32 PM
Yes I have caught females full of eggs and usually the dark ones will be full of white stuff. Milt I guess. I just wonder what happens to them after because I don't think they actually spawn?

fish99
02-27-2017, 04:40 PM
Top - Female bow
Bottom - Male bow

I've seen that same thing in other trout, including other bows, where the male's meat and color changes the closer to spawning time. They are not worth keeping but you have or will likely found out this.

P.S. Male brookies can be even worse and stink to high heaven.

2x

Supergrit
02-27-2017, 05:02 PM
The male brook trout in a lake I fish I don't keep them meat is white and soft.

goldscud
02-27-2017, 07:14 PM
That's what happens when the hormones get going. Spring is coming.
Diploid trout will produce eggs and sperm. The males tend to get colored up far greater and may even develop a kype.
Triploid females will not develop any eggs. Triploid males tend to color up and still follow some breeding behaviors even though no sperm are produced.
Spawning fish tend not to be ones that you want for the table....or even to catch as they often are poor fighters compared to clean fish.

Deep
02-28-2017, 02:28 AM
This is known as sexual dimorphism- males are typically brighter/bolder colored. There is quite a difference with "tiger" trout also.

Barnes19
02-28-2017, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the info, makes for a beautiful fish but it will be going back in the water next time.

Penner
03-02-2017, 11:22 AM
Silver one is the stocker, darker one could be broadstocker