PDA

View Full Version : Smoked trout

snowman160
02-28-2017, 08:24 AM
Hey y'all!whats your favourite smoked trout recipe!!preferably something on the sweeter side!

Barnes19
02-28-2017, 08:28 AM
I'm following this thread, I have some Rainbows I want to smoke.

Opa
02-28-2017, 08:44 AM
Try this. It is what I have used, and we and our friends enjoy the results.

https://cutterlight.com/2013/07/07/a-great-brine-and-smoke-soy-sauce-brown-sugar-and-seasonings-for-salmon-trout-and-other-fish/

SamSteele
02-28-2017, 08:47 AM
Here is a recipe I use for salmon, which could likely be modified a bit for trout as well.

Sweet Salmon Jerky
2 quarts water
3/4 c kosher salt
4 c dark brown sugar
2 c (divided) maple syrup
2-3 lb salmon fillet, skinned, bones removed

In a large glass or plastic bowl, mix water, salt, brown sugar, and 1 cup of maple syrup. Stir with a wooden spoon to ensure the salt and sugar is dissolved.

Slice salmon into 1/2 inch thick slices, lengthwise on the fillet. Cut each strip into 4-5 inch lengths.

Immerse strips in brine, weighing it down with a plastic bag filled with ice or a plate. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for 12 hours.

Drain the strips, discard the brine. Arrange the strips in a single layer directly on the smoker grill (I use a traeger)

Smoke for 5-6 hours or until the strips are dry but not rock hard.

Halfway through smoking time mix maple syrup with 1/4 cup water and brush the strips on all sides with the mixture. I sometimes add some fresh cracked black pepper at this time too.

Once smoked, put in a Ziploc while still warm, let it rest for an hour at room temp (bag open), then squeeze the air out and refrigerate.

The recipe takes some time due to the brine, but it is a crowd favorite at any gatherings I take it to. I usually use maple, hickory, or apple for wood.

SS

SNAPFisher
02-28-2017, 09:59 AM
^^^ Yep, that sounds amazing. Thanks!

3blade
02-28-2017, 10:07 AM
Recipe saved Sam, that sounds delicious!

RavYak
02-28-2017, 10:16 AM
SamSteele, what temperature do you smoke them at? 5-6 hours seems like a long time so assuming it must be a lower temperature.

SamSteele
02-28-2017, 10:31 AM
My Traeger is older, so it has a three setting temp dial. "Smoke", "Med", and "High". I think "Smoke" is roughly 230F or so?

SS

RavYak
02-28-2017, 10:55 AM
My Traeger is older, so it has a three setting temp dial. "Smoke", "Med", and "High". I think "Smoke" is roughly 230F or so?

SS

Interesting, when I have smoked fish it only takes 1-2 hr but then again I have never made jerky.

I have wanted to try a jerky/candy type recipe though so will have to give this a try.

SamSteele
02-28-2017, 12:45 PM
Interesting, when I have smoked fish it only takes 1-2 hr but then again I have never made jerky.

I have wanted to try a jerky/candy type recipe though so will have to give this a try.

Just checked online and the setting temp is 150-180 F. Depends on ambient temps. I honestly go more by feel than by the time.

Hope it turns out well for you. I use Sockeye mostly, but have used Coho as well. I've never used trout but can't see it being much different. Cool times could be less as the fillets are thinner.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RavYak
02-28-2017, 03:09 PM
Just checked online and the setting temp is 150-180 F. Depends on ambient temps. I honestly go more by feel than by the time.

Hope it turns out well for you. I use Sockeye mostly, but have used Coho as well. I've never used trout but can't see it being much different. Cool times could be less as the fillets are thinner.

SS

Ok that makes a bit more sense. I used a Masterbuilt smoker and you have to run them hotter then that to get consistent smoke. I still want to try it so will have to figure out a way lol.

SamSteele
02-28-2017, 03:13 PM
Not sure how your masterbuilt is set up but I've used a flexible metal dryer vent off the chimney of my Traeger into a separate box to cold smoke sausage. Used a remote thermometer to measure the temp in the box and moved it closer or farther away to increase/decrease temp. It worked pretty well actually. Got good smoke and I was able to keep the temps below 90F on a winter day.

SS

snowman160
03-05-2017, 09:33 PM
Did your recipe today An it turned out awesome!!!thank you so much!!!everyone needs to try this one!!!

sarahfaye
03-05-2017, 10:08 PM
Have tried every way imaginable. This is pretty much fool proof.
Fresh fillet, skin on. Sprinkle with good salt(same amount as if BBQ'ing) Cover with black pepper to taste.( black for me) Cover with dark brown sugar. Leave for 24 hours in the fridge.(Longer for a sweeter fish) Put on the smoker, pour liquid from container on the fillets and smoke with apple wood at 160 degrees while fishing . About 7 hours.
Never to salty. Simple easy and fantastic.

sarahfaye
03-05-2017, 10:14 PM
Have tried every way imaginable. This is pretty much fool proof.
Fresh fillet, skin on. Sprinkle with good sea salt(same amount as if BBQ'ing) Cover with black pepper to taste.( black for me) Cover with dark brown sugar. Leave for 24 hours in the fridge.(Longer for a sweeter fish) Put on the smoker, pour liquid from container on the fillets and smoke with apple wood at 160 degrees while fishing . About 7 hours.
Never to salty. Simple easy and fantastic.

SamSteele
03-06-2017, 07:59 AM
Did your recipe today An it turned out awesome!!!thank you so much!!!everyone needs to try this one!!!

Glad it worked out for you!

SS

Barnes19
03-06-2017, 08:25 AM
I tried this recipe on Saturday, I started at 200 which I found out shortly that it was to warm. Dialed it back to 185 and fillets were still a bit dry after 4.5 hours. Flavour is great I'll make the adjustment on the temperature next time and I'm sure they will be great. I had Rainbow trout fillets and they were quite thin. I did the smoking on a Green Mountain Pellet Barbeque. Thanks for the Recipe Sam, I see many more batches in the future.

AndrewM
11-26-2019, 08:14 AM
Here is a recipe I use for salmon, which could likely be modified a bit for trout as well.

Sweet Salmon Jerky
2 quarts water
3/4 c kosher salt
4 c dark brown sugar
2 c (divided) maple syrup
2-3 lb salmon fillet, skinned, bones removed

In a large glass or plastic bowl, mix water, salt, brown sugar, and 1 cup of maple syrup. Stir with a wooden spoon to ensure the salt and sugar is dissolved.

Slice salmon into 1/2 inch thick slices, lengthwise on the fillet. Cut each strip into 4-5 inch lengths.

Immerse strips in brine, weighing it down with a plastic bag filled with ice or a plate. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for 12 hours.

Drain the strips, discard the brine. Arrange the strips in a single layer directly on the smoker grill (I use a traeger)

Smoke for 5-6 hours or until the strips are dry but not rock hard.

Halfway through smoking time mix maple syrup with 1/4 cup water and brush the strips on all sides with the mixture. I sometimes add some fresh cracked black pepper at this time too.

Once smoked, put in a Ziploc while still warm, let it rest for an hour at room temp (bag open), then squeeze the air out and refrigerate.

The recipe takes some time due to the brine, but it is a crowd favorite at any gatherings I take it to. I usually use maple, hickory, or apple for wood.

SS

Old thread but I tried this recipe on the weekend for some Steelhead. I added the fresh cracked pepper as well. Marinated it in a ziploc bag which makes for a simple cleanup. It isn't super sweet or super salty and is a perfect combination. This is an awesome recipe. Thank you SS for sharing!

SamSteele
11-26-2019, 08:20 AM
Old thread but I tried this recipe on the weekend for some Steelhead. I added the fresh cracked pepper as well. Marinated it in a ziploc bag which makes for a simple cleanup. It isn't super sweet or super salty and is a perfect combination. This is an awesome recipe. Thank you SS for sharing!

Perfect! Glad you enjoyed it.

dodgeboy1979
11-26-2019, 10:44 AM
i used the same recipe but also put a jar of teriyaki sauce in with it.