PDA

View Full Version : Skeena in september?

rena0040
03-04-2017, 12:40 PM
Can anyone tell me what the fishing would be like first week of september both on the river and ocean.
I've never been up there and was wondering if that would be a good time. We were going to hit the fraser again but started thinking of trying something new.
We just like to catch fish and we have little knowledge/skill. We would be shore fishing and a day charter in the ocean.
I know we would be guaranteed fish in the fraser/vedder and don't want to go all that way to get skunked and frustrated .

Thanks

SNAPFisher
03-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Getting skunked is always a risk but you should be fine. That is pretty much prime time. You may not have as many sockeye by then. If you want them you should go earlier if interested in "greener" fish but otherwise they should be lingering too.

Are you chucking hardware or fly fishing?

I was there for the first time in 2015. It is an amazing place. You can fish the Skeena right in town at the island / park. Lots of good water there. Lots of good water further West up the highway too.

If you want to fish pretty much alone, you can head back East and fish in the special license area for $20 a day. It was worth it to me as I had the river to myself and ended up with my best sockeye...and lots more.

There are some big, big steelhead as well.

Also, you have a lot of other rivers in the area, the Copper, etc. And the Kitimat is driving distance as well. And, you pass right by Smithers and the Bulkley...so good.

A day out of Prince Rupert on the ocean should be a lot of fun as well.

Sockeye from the special area:
https://s25.postimg.org/721oqmpcv/IMG_0276.jpg

57charlie
03-04-2017, 02:14 PM
You can't go wrong with fishing the Skeena or any of it's numerous feeder rivers from mid to late August & September. I haven't been there in years but I do remember at the end of every day my arms needed a full nights rest.

Sea Hawk
03-04-2017, 03:30 PM
The beginning of september should be great for coho on the ocean. We did it once and chartered up toward dundas and caught some huge coho. You could also travel up to the tseax which can be real good at times. Just watch out for bears.

warriorboy10
03-04-2017, 05:00 PM
Fished the Skeena quit a bit, earlier though, late July, and at times got into some crazy catchin. Caught all five species of Salmon, Steelhead and Cutthroat. Also have been up there, four of us and caught only one fish in four days. Really hit or miss.
Most runs are going to be in their spawning grounds by that time but can be some great Steelhead and Coho running through.
What ever you do I WOULDN'T call one of the tackle shops for a fishing report. Their going to say fishing is good. If you can I'd maybe find a good guide up there and pay him. I bet it would make your trip. Maybe get into the Kitsumkalum for big Steelies. And that you wouldn't be disappointed in!!

rena0040
03-04-2017, 05:09 PM
We'd have both fly and tackle and use whatever works, we're not particular. We originally were headed for the fraser pink run which is why we chose early September. If earlier would be better, maybe best to leave the skeena for another year.

SNAPFisher
03-04-2017, 05:35 PM
We'd have both fly and tackle and use whatever works, we're not particular. We originally were headed for the fraser pink run which is why we chose early September. If earlier would be better, maybe best to leave the skeena for another year.

Only for the sockeye. It should be pretty thick with pinks, coho and steelhead.

Edit: that pic was taken Aug-24. You'll be fine. :)
Some how I thought it was the end of July but that must be Alaska I was thinking about...

CenterPin
03-04-2017, 11:55 PM
I live there now, used to fish the vedder and Fraser a lot also. Don't even bother with the vedder you will have a far better experience on the skeena. Early Sept is prime time for coho and excellent steelhead fishing. Added bonus is its usually still very reliable weather till about end of sept/Oct. Make terrace your home base and so many options from there. If money isn't an object pay the classified waters and really 20 bucks a day sucks but up's your odds 1000% (worth it to just suck it up)

rena0040
03-05-2017, 12:14 PM
Another question, would halibut be in season then?