PDA

View Full Version : Carp at Primrose Lake

curtz
03-04-2017, 08:11 PM
So I bought some whites from a guy that got them from Primrose Lake, when I bought them they were froze and I just threw them in bags in the unheated shop. I thawed some out today to smoke and found a Carp, what the heck.

calgarychef
03-04-2017, 08:36 PM
Now does one go about buying whitefish?

curtz
03-04-2017, 09:19 PM
Now does one go about buying whitefish?

From commercial fisherman in Saskatchewan, I think there done for this year.

3blade
03-04-2017, 09:48 PM
I would say there's a pretty good chance that fish didn't originate at primrose and got mixed in with your order accidentally. That being said, it would be worth keeping that fish frozen and a call/email to F&W, so they can follow up with the fisherman to confirm. Never know where invasive species will show up next.

HowSwedeItIs
03-04-2017, 10:32 PM
I would say there's a pretty good chance that fish didn't originate at primrose and got mixed in with your order accidentally. That being said, it would be worth keeping that fish frozen and a call/email to F&W, so they can follow up with the fisherman to confirm. Never know where invasive species will show up next.

Talk to your man about reimbursing you too

pikeman06
03-05-2017, 09:49 PM
Let us know how that goes please. Boy that sure would open the eyes of all those who figure the invasive species are from guys with a bucket of fish. In some cases I agree but a lake like primrose has very little access. I always wondered if birds weren't to blame in some cases.

schleprock
03-05-2017, 10:54 PM
Are you sure that it isn't a sucker? I have known generations of people that have commercial fished both the Alberta and Saskatchewan side of Primrose lake and have never heard of a carp being caught in this lake during the past fifty years.

blackonblackfx4
03-06-2017, 08:22 AM
Are you sure that it isn't a sucker? I have known generations of people that have commercial fished both the Alberta and Saskatchewan side of Primrose lake and have never heard of a carp being caught in this lake during the past fifty years.

X2 a big nasty golden sucker lol

curtz
03-06-2017, 08:35 AM
I got pictures but just haven't figured out how to put them on, I can text them to someone who knows how.

curtz
03-07-2017, 09:53 PM
Thanks blackonblackfx4 for confirming that I had a sucker and not a carp.