PDA

View Full Version : Flyfishing GP

gpguy7
04-16-2009, 09:08 PM
So, after years of saying I wasn't going to flyfish, I would like to finally attempt it. I know the costs of rods reels etc, but would like to learn techniques and such. I don't know any fly fisherman myself in the Grande Prairie area, so if anyone can direct me to videos, books etc that I can learn from, and then teach myself the rest it would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting pretty tired of trout fishing at all these little ponds and lakes with a worm and bobber, and would like to learn on the fly. Thanks fellas, and ladies.

Justflyfish4eva
04-16-2009, 11:33 PM
well when I first started, out youtube was where I turned, lots of vids on there.
there was another site, sexyloops.com had lots of info on it too. the Orvise web site has some good info as well, what wt rods are good for what. that way you do not go and buy a 8wt rod thinking you are going to throw size 22 midges in a little creek.
just keep asking questions. good luck and tight lines.

exportblue
04-17-2009, 09:16 AM
well as for the rods to use there is many diffrent kinds, right from very cheap to very exspensive. I bought and exspensive one before and the tip broke off 3 times what a joke. I then bought a shakespeer from walmart for about $110 and its the best dam rod i have ever used. The action with it rocks when u latch on to a 5lb trout. I mostly troll with my fly rod in my float tube but if u can get into some nice weedy corners or around beaver dams the fly technique works well. Nothing better then to catch a bigone on a fly rod.
hope that helps u out a bit

Coulee
04-17-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm a seasoned, advanced, fly angler. I'm also self taught. Find a hatch chart for your part of Alberta and those are the flies to use. Practice casting in your yard or a field before actually going out. It is easier to have a friend teach you, but not always possible. The best way to learn is to first fish a stocked trout pond where the fishing is less advanced and go from there. Be warned though, if you bring your spinning equipment with you, you will abandon your fly gear after five minutes and never learn to fly fish. Learning to fly fish requires a real commitment to learn, but you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

gpguy7
04-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks Coulee, we have a lot of stocked ponds in the grande prairie area. Most of the guys I fish with up here are bait chuckers as we have always targeted pike and walleye. So most of it is going to be self taught, I appreciate the input on the hatch chart especially.

The Fish King
04-17-2009, 05:58 PM
I also am a self taught flyfisherman and for the GP area I would go with a 5 weight rod with some floating line to get you started. Try the upper reaches of the wapiti for bulls and grayling, the kakwa for the same, all of the creeks on the two lakes road are fairly productive for rainbows and grayling, the torrens also has some cutts. I pulled out some absolutely massive grayling out of the simonette last summer as well. The Grande Cache area has a lot of secluded trout streams as well.
Most of these rivers dont have to much fishing pressure so you can get away with a small assortment of flies most of the time. Pick up some stimulators in different shapes and sizes, some size 12 gold ribbed hairs ear nymphs, a few mayfly patterns, and a bunch of caddis imitations. I usually start with a stimulator and a hares ear dropper. If you can get away from the little pothole lakes in the GP area and hit the rivers I can guarantee you will not only be secluded but you will catch more fish.

juno
04-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks King Fisher. I too will be starting to fly fish this year after years of throwing hardware. Looking forward to trying the Narroway River on km154 on the Narrowway Rd. Will try some of the areas you mention as I work in this area.

The Fish King
04-18-2009, 12:14 AM
I have yet to try the narraway but I am thinking about a float trip from that crossing up the wapiti to wapiti gardens. Try Nose creek if you are in that area as well. Some good bull trout and grayling holes

gpguy7
04-18-2009, 01:40 AM
thanks fish king, that is really appreciated, i know that the rivers close to town have offered some good fishing for flyfishers which is exactly why i am going to try learning to fly fish. i appreciate the info, and will use it accordingly!

exportblue
04-18-2009, 12:42 PM
is there a walking trail at km154 on the narraway, i ve worked down there as well but never new about km154. I have a friend who has fished that river and he says it just awsome fishing down there.

Versatile
04-18-2009, 01:01 PM
I packed my rod up here but havent even gotten it out of the case. i was hoping to throw some foam hoppers at some brown this summer but dont think that is going to happen.

I learned by taking my rod out to a ball diamond or football field and just trying it out.

Once you got the casting down work on your accuracy I used a peice of rope to make a large circle and slowly making it smaller as I got better.

If you want toss me a PM I will give you my number and we can go try it out.

juno
04-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Its a short walk from km154 to the Narroway.I believe about 2 km. I work at the plant site where you can park. Will take my rhino out in a week or two when the snow melts a little more. (got stuck today) Maybe we can hook up and go together!

exportblue
04-19-2009, 01:14 PM
i didn't realize there is a plant at km154, isnt that where people go for cell service. maybe i just wasn't paying attention. lol well when u get out and about with the rino to check it out let me know. When do the rivers open anyway? I thought july sometime but not sure.

gpguy7
04-19-2009, 01:46 PM
most of them open june 1st.

Kingfisher
04-20-2009, 02:41 PM
so if anyone can direct me to videos, books etc that I can learn from, and then teach myself the rest it would be greatly appreciated.

My friend Rick Passek has written a book just for guys just like yourself. It's called the Freshman Flyfisher.
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com/wp-content/themes/flyfishfanatic/img/smfreshmanflyfishercover.jpg

I was just fishing with Rick last weekend and he is a very knowledgeable fly fisher and is eager to pass along his knowledge to others. Here is a link to his website. http://www.rp3fishingadventures.com/

He has also written a second book entitled The Freshman Flyfisher's Insect Guide.

http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com/wp-content/themes/flyfishfanatic/img/sminsectcover.jpg This book shows insects and the flies you'd use to imitate them. It's pocket sized so you can take it with you while fishing.

You can order both of his books from his website.

Rob