PDA

View Full Version : Ice

CNP
03-09-2017, 10:56 AM
How far below the top of the ice have you been experiencing the water level? Most times on the lakes I've been on this winter, the water has been just below the top of the ice. Yesterday I was fishing on Crowsnest and the water was a good 5-6 inches below the ice. Thought this was unusual?

Over 2 feet of ice on the lake..........the engine was bottoming out on the ice pulled up by the auger.

TROLLER
03-09-2017, 11:50 AM
Gravity all based on the moon. Kinda like a tide if you will. I find when the water is low in the hold the fishing is usually better.

CNP
03-09-2017, 04:28 PM
Gravity all based on the moon. Kinda like a tide if you will. I find when the water is low in the hold the fishing is usually better.

Ha...................fishing deep for lakers......................nothing on the flasher at all. That lake is discouraging at best.

Habfan
03-09-2017, 04:59 PM
That is flowing water isn't it ? More water going out than coming in was my thought !

DOGFISH
03-10-2017, 12:26 PM
I thought it was mostly based on snow load and weight of the ice, but never thought gravity, moon? That's an interesting theory.

TROLLER
03-10-2017, 12:43 PM
I thought it was mostly based on snow load and weight of the ice, but never thought gravity, moon? That's an interesting theory.

Just take notice of the moon cycle and you can see a change in the water level. Never knew myself until a Sheldon Cooper type friend pointed it out.

CNP
03-10-2017, 03:03 PM
Moon phase for 05 Mar was First Quarter (also called Half Moon). 12 Mar is Full Moon phase. Pic is from 08 Mar.....................so in between Half and Full was the phase...

There is never any snow load on Crowsnest lake lol. If there is..........just blink and the wind takes it away

http://i.imgur.com/GYgygdM.jpg

Angler
03-11-2017, 12:26 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but on my memory water is always lower than ice in the end of winter, when we have over 2-3 feet of ice..

RavYak
03-11-2017, 09:44 AM
It isn't the moon lol. What is gravity going to do? Water is not compressible, unless the gravity is lifting the ice you would not see such a phenomenon and if the moon being a bit closer lifts ice we would have a lot of other strange stuff happening.

Crowsnest Lake is part of the crowsnest river system. As the season progresses water is most likely slowly draining out of the lake causing what you are seeing.

fish99
03-11-2017, 09:47 AM
8% to %12 on ice thickness should be above the water . example 12 inches on there would be about 1 inch of ice above the water line. that is with no weight on top of the ice.

CNP
03-11-2017, 11:04 AM
It isn't the moon lol. What is gravity going to do? Water is not compressible, unless the gravity is lifting the ice you would not see such a phenomenon and if the moon being a bit closer lifts ice we would have a lot of other strange stuff happening.

Crowsnest Lake is part of the crowsnest river system. As the season progresses water is most likely slowly draining out of the lake causing what you are seeing.

Considering all the possibilities..................I'm inclined to agree with this one. The only unsettling thing about it though (pun) is that why does the ice not settle lower in the water as the water level goes down? The hole was a 100 yards from shore. It's a fairly large lake as AB standards go...........saying that because I don't believe that the shoreline can hold up the ice, across the breadth of the lake. Going back late this aft to see if I can haul anything out of the water:) I'm not pondering on this anymore....it was just an observation.

DOGFISH
03-11-2017, 12:54 PM
Thinking about it if it was gravity would it not change twice a day like lunar tides.?

RavYak
03-11-2017, 06:06 PM
Considering all the possibilities..................I'm inclined to agree with this one. The only unsettling thing about it though (pun) is that why does the ice not settle lower in the water as the water level goes down? The hole was a 100 yards from shore. It's a fairly large lake as AB standards go...........saying that because I don't believe that the shoreline can hold up the ice, across the breadth of the lake. Going back late this aft to see if I can haul anything out of the water:) I'm not pondering on this anymore....it was just an observation.

Thick ice right now is very strong and the water would still be providing a lot of support. Eventually it will settle back lower though.

There are lakes like say Abraham Lake where people have gone out and drilled holes only to find that there is a layer of air between the water and the ice... That is why fishing reservoirs that are known to fluctuate is a dangerous thing, one day it might be safe and the next day it isn't.