PDA

View Full Version : Megaphone

Megaphone
02-26-2007, 09:33 AM
I was wondering if I could use a megaphone to amplify the sound of a manual mouth blown call. The regs say, 'recorded wildlife calls or sounds, or an electrically operated calling device'. That leaves the use of an amplifier somewhat ambigious. Opinions?

Duffy4
02-26-2007, 10:42 AM
That is an interesting question. It may be a real advantage to have the calling coming from a location other than the shooters. (a lot of called game circle downwind of the calling and are focused on the sound location when they come in.)

If I could string out 20 or 30 yards of wire to a speaker and then call into a mike, it may be worth while.

Robin

sheep hunter
02-26-2007, 11:56 AM
As megaphones are battery operated I suspect they are illegal but a good question?

Okotokian
02-26-2007, 12:44 PM
interesting/devious question... LOL But I think we all really know what the answer to that one would be.

varmitr
02-26-2007, 03:14 PM
hmmm...
im guessing it is illegal,
next question, is why??
Ive found that quieter is more realistic.In fact too loud will scare them off.
A howler/megaphone combo would make the vocals of a 400lb yote !!

Okotokian
02-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Why? because it would bring in predators from farther away than manual methods of calling... unless you call like me, in which case it would only give more yotes farther away notice of my pathetic human presence :lol

RE: Megaphone
02-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Okotokian you are exactly correct. Out on the prairies where I do most of my hunting the sound doesn't carry vary far unless calling into a ravine system and I can create an echo. In a wind just forget it and go have a beer. I also hunt geese in their flight path or try to lure them from another field to my field. I have some of the loudest calls on the market and can really make them stand out but in a wind again have a beer.

varmitr
02-27-2007, 01:40 PM
point taken, i guess i would consider 700 yards to be a effective calling range and have pulled wolves in from that range.
i guess it boils down to geography, weather conditions and bush cover and as for calling into the wind. I call with the wind at my back, faster response and no more than 10 minutes to wait, whack the yote before he enters your downwind scent plume.