PDA

View Full Version : Whites and burbs

SNAPFisher
03-13-2017, 08:44 AM
Snuck out to Pigeon on Saturday before starting the chores around the farm. Go to the lake around 7 a.m., no tracks, no nothing. I had some fun trying to drive around and avoid the ice heaves. I was partially successful. At least I didn’t get hung up or anything like that.

Started out shallow in 9 FOW. Of course with ice over 30 inches, there isn’t too much water column left below that. One hole I was maybe 2 inches from bottoming out including kicking the snow and ice away. Tough ice too.

First 20 minutes, nothing. Then I start thinking that maybe shallow wasn’t the answer. Well, a huge white comes cruising by and just missed the hook. I gave it a move and it must have turned quick as it was back and it was fish on. I got the land snagged around my hand so had to let go and then get it on the rod. Felt weightless so I figured it was gone but then the weight came back. Got it up quick and had a hard time turning the head / body into the 10 inch hole. It was another tank white. Huge thing. Really fat with a small head. Got it up about 5-6 inches below the top of the ice. Went too grab it. Had both hands around it but it was hard to do as it was so large. Hook pops out. Fish struggles, and starts to turn. Then everything seemed to sllllllllllllllllloooooooowwww down as I watched that head turn and the tail slip between both my hands and with a massive tail slap…gone. A few scales floated down…

There are so many things I could have done to land it but it just wasn’t meant to be. That will haunt be for a while though. Stopped by 5 for 5 whitefish trip to Pigeon. It was a good run and this was close…

Moved out deeper for a bit and marked fish but nothing seen. Probably walleye as the marks were slow moving.

Sunday, took the wife for an annual trek for burbs. Managed 5 nice ones and used Angler’s screw through the head technique for skinning. Worked awesome! Great idea Angler so thanks for that. Got quite a bit of meat so there is good burb eating tonight!

wellsite
03-13-2017, 11:02 AM
i read that you managed 5 burbot....that's great. what i don't know and you don't say, how many you kept, other than "got quite a bit of meat" - subsequently, that's not the point. keep limit on pigeon Feb 1 - Mar 15 is ZERO (catch and release only).

SNAPFisher
03-13-2017, 11:05 AM
i read that you managed 5 burbot....that's great. what i don't know and you don't say, how many you kept, other than "got quite a bit of meat" - subsequently, that's not the point. keep limit on pigeon Feb 1 - Mar 15 is ZERO (catch and release only).

No worries, Sunday was a different lake where you can keep them. Probably caught around 50 and kept 5. Keep limit is 10 per person where I was.

Speaking of Pigeon, I think I've seen maybe 2 burbot in the last 2 years. I don't know about any others on here. Anyone else see more? Probably been 4 years since I've seen a group of them around the spawn time. Used to be a good magnet for the whites.

gr8tbigkid
03-13-2017, 02:37 PM
ITS AMAZING HOW THERE IS SO MUCH NEGATIVITY THERE IS FOR PEOPLE :argue2: POST A GREAT TIME AND GET THAT
:angry3:

GOOD JOB BY THE WAY ON THE BURBS:test:

IF PEOPLE DNT HAVE ANYTHING GOOD TO SAY THEY SHOULD KEEP THIER MOUTH SHUT :thinking-006: JUST SAYING

SOMEONE HAS SUCH AN AWSOME POST BIT OF STORY BEHIND IT THAT WAS AWSOME TO ....GREAT JOB NEED MORE OF THAT ON HERE!!!!!!

IF PEOPLE HAVE A FREEEEKING PROBLEM WITH SOMETHING :shark:THEN THEY SHOULD PM PEOPLE WITH THIER NEGATIVITY NOT POST IT ONLINE FOR EVERYONE TO SEE :shark: PEOPLE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT POSTING ANYTHING ONLINE WITH A NEG COMMENT :mad0030:

SNAPFisher
03-13-2017, 03:35 PM
Thanks,
I'm still thinking about the one that got away :)

I didn't explain that I was at another lake on Sunday so I could have been more clear about that. All good to me.

Cheers!