PDA

View Full Version : New Regs Out, Burn the Internet Down!

RavYak
03-15-2017, 02:46 PM
Ha, figured some of you might like to see the new regs admin added a link to above. There are some significant changes this year.

They went ahead and opened PCR to retention as well as Burnstick and Glennifer and also 5 other new tag lakes including Gull.

Bow River regs were simplified and changed to bait ban catch and release everywhere from Banff NP to Bassano Dam.

It is now also illegal to waste burbot.

Also illegal to dispose of unused bait within 50 metres of water bodies except in a regularly serviced waste disposal receptacle.

There could be more too those are just the highlighted points at beginning of regs. Make sure you read through them carefully and understand them.

chedder
03-15-2017, 03:21 PM
Pine Coulee. Allowed to keep 3 walleye any size. Any bets on whether there are any fish left before summer!?

SNAPFisher
03-15-2017, 03:24 PM
Don't forget:

Don’t forget to ‘Pull the Plug!’ Residual standing water in watercraft is known to be a source of aquatic invasive species and fish disease introductions. All watercraft being transported (e.g. on a road) in Alberta must now have the drain plug plugged while in transport.

:lol:
Looks like an in-season change coming. I'm sure they must have meant to say "pulled" not plugged.

Walleyedude
03-15-2017, 03:34 PM
They went ahead and opened PCR

I'm sure some will be thrilled. It's very unfortunate IMHO. Another "consultation" on what was already a foregone conclusion.

With a walleye and pike limit of 3 each, it'll be fished out in a year. The boat launch and dock should be one amazing spectacle on opening day...:scared0015: :party0052:

Illegal to dispose of unused bait within 50 metres of water bodies except in a regularly serviced waste disposal receptacle.

This makes ZERO sense to me. It's a real head scratcher.

It's perfectly OK to fish with it - which exposes it to the water and will inevitably result in lost bait entering the water body - but it can't be disposed of within 50m? Seriously?

How are the 99% of minnows or worms in a tub OK to be released in the water while fishing, but the 1% remaining are a serious issue if put directly into the water?

Is the bait affecting or somehow how harming wildlife within 50m of shore? Throwing it in the bush 51m away is perfectly fine?

If it's a littering thing due to the mess or the smell, then just issue a ticket for littering...

dutchpirate
03-15-2017, 03:35 PM
Don't bypass watercraft inspection stations. If you do and they find critters on your boat, the fines/jail time are HUGE! They are very nice people and often have giveaways like drink insulators, floating keychains and drying cloths for your boat.

RavYak
03-15-2017, 03:41 PM
Pine Coulee. Allowed to keep 3 walleye any size. Any bets on whether there are any fish left before summer!?

It will be fished out by end of the year. With 3 fish limit, no size restriction, lots of fish and all other lakes in the area closed to retention its going to be like a bumper boat derby out there lol.

azn_rice_man
03-15-2017, 03:42 PM
I'm sure some will be thrilled. It's very unfortunate IMHO. Another "consultation" on what was already a foregone conclusion.

It is a sad state for PCR... Let's hope they turn it around to a good trout lake one day (as they stated their intentions on the survey).

How are the 99% of minnows or worms in a tub OK to be released in the water while fishing, but the 1% remaining are a serious issue if put directly into the water?

Is it perhaps they're trying to crack down on chumming?

RavYak
03-15-2017, 03:49 PM
Don't forget:

Looks like an in-season change coming. I'm sure they must have meant to say "pulled" not plugged.

Ha missed that.

It's perfectly OK to fish with it - which exposes it to the water and will inevitably result in lost bait entering the water body - but it can't be disposed of within 50m? Seriously?

Is the bait affecting or somehow how harming wildlife within 50m of shore? Throwing it in the bush 51m away is perfectly fine?

If it's a littering thing due to the mess or the smell, then just issue a ticket for littering...

Wasn't expecting that change, I would like to know what the actual law change states(if there was one).

Another thing noted is a comment saying that the Tiger Trout stocking was seen as a success and they plan to increase Tiger trout opportunities this year. Strange that they still haven't made them a sport fish species yet...

Okotokian
03-15-2017, 03:51 PM

Gee, I would have been happy with one!

Walleyedude
03-15-2017, 03:53 PM
It is a sad state for PCR... Let's hope they turn it around to a good trout lake one day (as they stated their intentions on the survey).

I'm not holding my breath.

Is it perhaps a chumming thing they're cracking down on?

Maybe. Nothing would really surprise me at this point (except PCR actually becoming a good trout fishery. :) )

genoel
03-15-2017, 03:53 PM

With a walleye and pike limit of 3 each, it'll be fished out in a year. The boat launch and dock should be one amazing spectacle on opening day...:scared0015: :party0052:

I believe the bigger issue is the release of live bait such as worms or crawlers where they are not native.

azn_rice_man
03-15-2017, 03:55 PM
Maybe. Nothing would really surprise me at this point (except PCR actually becoming a good trout fishery. :) )

One can dream... and stay hopeful!

Walleyedude
03-15-2017, 03:55 PM
I believe the bigger issue is the release of live bait such as worms or crawlers where they are not native.

In that case, the 50m from a waterbody stipulation makes no sense.

Just make it illegal period.

chedder
03-15-2017, 04:02 PM
Gee, I would have been happy with one!
That's what I was hoping for and put in the survey. Thought it would be a good compromise to maybe see if less competition might help the population. But hey what do we know. Seems like this was a forgone conclusion. Dumb.

RavYak
03-15-2017, 04:19 PM

That actually makes some sense especially with say leeches.

idaman
03-15-2017, 04:21 PM

Not seeing the change in the burbot reg

I see "The edible flesh of legally kept game fish must not be wasted, destroyed, spoiled or abandoned (this does not apply to burbot)."

Which would be the same as a burbot thrown on the ice and wasted was still considered "legally kept".

RavYak
03-15-2017, 04:29 PM
Not seeing the change in the burbot reg

I see "The edible flesh of legally kept game fish must not be wasted, destroyed, spoiled or abandoned (this does not apply to burbot)."

Which would be the same as a burbot thrown on the ice and wasted was still considered "legally kept".

You reading last years regs?

Right in the important changes section it states.

The wastage of the edible flesh of Burbot is PROHIBITED

Then on page 23

The edible flesh of legally kept game fish must not be wasted,
destroyed, spoiled or abandoned.

huntsfurfish
03-15-2017, 04:33 PM
Bout time they increased the licence fees for non resident and non resident Canadians.:sHa_shakeshout:

JareS
03-15-2017, 04:42 PM
Is it perhaps they're trying to crack down on chumming?

It's entirely about Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) prevention. Zebra/ Quagga Mussels and non-native fish

As for the comment about dumping worms and leeches in the water, you're supposed to kill and dispose of outside the water. Dew worms and earthworms are an Invasive Species, changing plant composition by mixing the soil horizons, so should be killed before being tossed

coyotekiller
03-15-2017, 04:45 PM
A class tags for walleye out of Gull lake now, thats good to see

idaman
03-15-2017, 04:49 PM
You reading last years regs?

Right in the important changes section it states.

Then on page 23

Just the online version for 2017 that is copy and pasted right from the site.Under additional restrictions

oilngas
03-15-2017, 05:53 PM
Really hate to see the PCR change, I used it as an introduction spot for newby's, mobility impaired friend, grandkids, morning fishery with neighbours, get the boat running in the spring etc.. AER asked for input until early March 2017, the Regs. must have been finalized and into printers by that date. Sad really, they did not want any input it would seem. I guess in a few years we will may have another put and take small trout fishery.
As other have stated opening days will be a gong show. Might be fun to watch if it wasn't so sad.
I would have thought that if they really wanted the walleye out of there, maybe a one or two tag system for kids etc. may have sufficed. At least that would keep the whole thing some what manageable.

calgarygringo
03-15-2017, 06:01 PM
Dont worry their plan is to fish it out as bad as it sounds. They are removing them to turn it into a trout lake. They will succeed easily I would bet.

It will be fished out by end of the year. With 3 fish limit, no size restriction, lots of fish and all other lakes in the area closed to retention its going to be like a bumper boat derby out there lol.

RavYak
03-15-2017, 06:08 PM
Just the online version for 2017 that is copy and pasted right from the site.Under additional restrictions

The online version doesn't match paper version on a few things I see... I would go off paper version.

PerchBuster
03-15-2017, 06:19 PM

Leeches have become way too darn expensive to be dumping out lol! But yes I guess it could happen. Not sure that frozen minnows would be a problem unless still able to transmit some sort of disease or something to the waterbody. They do often come from out of province which may be a concern. I don't see it with the worms though. What invasive species could be introduced with dumping a few worms? That's been fish food since the beginning of time.

idaman
03-15-2017, 06:20 PM
The online version doesn't match paper version on a few things I see... I would go off paper version.

I would believe the online version Trumps the paper, isn't there a disclaimer stating something along those lines??

slough shark
03-15-2017, 06:23 PM
I would have preferred a retention of 1 on pcr, if we are honest with ourselves that wasn't a healthy ecosystem, all those fish were stunted and eating themselves out of house and home, hopefully this allows other fish species to live and thrive. Perhaps we can see some perch or whitefish introduced as baitfish was sorely missing and the walleye eating all the pike and burbot should end. It's a bit much of a change in this particular lake but good to see walleye not being given the status of god in all of our lakes

RavYak
03-15-2017, 06:31 PM
I would believe the online version Trumps the paper, isn't there a disclaimer stating something alon those lines??

Here it says it is illegal too, they just never updated that one page(didn't update bait definition either for example).

http://albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/management.html

Online does not trump paper, neither are actually the law just summaries of it. The law used to state

Game fish possession requirements against spoilage
57(1) No person who is in possession of a game fish shall allow its
edible flesh to be wasted, destroyed, spoiled or abandoned.
(2) This section does not apply to
(a) burbot,

I don't see a new version yet but obviously they plan on changing it or it has been changed and new version is just not online yet.

JareS
03-15-2017, 07:35 PM
Leeches have become way too darn expensive to be dumping out lol! But yes I guess it could happen. Not sure that frozen minnows would be a problem unless still able to transmit some sort of disease or something to the waterbody. They do often come from out of province which may be a concern. I don't see it with the worms though. What invasive species could be introduced with dumping a few worms? That's been fish food since the beginning of time.

The worms themselves are invasive, read my earlier post on this thread

Link- http://worms.biology.ualberta.ca/spread/

pikeman06
03-15-2017, 08:21 PM
Yes please keep the walleye under control at gull. No better time than now. Hope they give lots of tags for the mid range fish and manage it as the perch whitefish and Ling and pike lake that it is. Nothing wrong with having the odd big walleye around and they will spawn successfully if they are big mature experienced females. Pike should be one under 75cm for a year or two to protect the dwindling number of bigger females because they have great gene pool there. Just my opinion.

Bushleague
03-15-2017, 08:59 PM
Yes please keep the walleye under control at gull. No better time than now. Hope they give lots of tags for the mid range fish and manage it as the perch whitefish and Ling and pike lake that it is. Nothing wrong with having the odd big walleye around and they will spawn successfully if they are big mature experienced females. Pike should be one under 75cm for a year or two to protect the dwindling number of bigger females because they have great gene pool there. Just my opinion.

Way too proactive! I've never seen regulations changed in Alberta to prevent a problem, usually any change comes along several years after a total collapse.

My biggest problem with them is that they never seem to realise that their lopsided management, protecting some species very carefully, while showing little concern for others, tends to throw lakes completely out of whack on a long enough timeline. Pike, walleye, perch, and whitefish... these species should all exist in well balanced populations in many of Alberta's water bodies, and did at one point. Right now its pretty hard to find a lake where one or the other of these species doesn't exist in an overpopulated and stunted state, while some of the others are nearly non-existent. Some of our rivers do manage to display a balanced eco-system but very few of our lakes.

PerchBuster
03-15-2017, 09:12 PM
The worms themselves are invasive, read my earlier post on this thread

Link- http://worms.biology.ualberta.ca/spread/

Thanks for that! It's a tough one. Man probably baited the very first fishing hooks with a worm lol! they are here to stay invasive or not and been around for decades if not longer already. Can't really say they harm much, that I know of anyways, yet respect the fact some regions don't have any and would rather not have them introduced. An artificial worm out of all artificial baits is probably the closest to being like the real thing in most presentations and that's what I always tend to use instead of live anyways. Not as much dirt under the fingernails at the end of the day lol!

WayneChristie
03-15-2017, 09:21 PM
I would have preferred a retention of 1 on pcr, if we are honest with ourselves that wasn't a healthy ecosystem, all those fish were stunted and eating themselves out of house and home, hopefully this allows other fish species to live and thrive. Perhaps we can see some perch or whitefish introduced as baitfish was sorely missing and the walleye eating all the pike and burbot should end. It's a bit much of a change in this particular lake but good to see walleye not being given the status of god in all of our lakes

umm have you ever fished PCR? got that a little backwards :bad_boys_20:

bobalong
03-15-2017, 09:42 PM

To bad, it would have been a good lake to do some "catch and restocking" with. Lots of lakes in the south could have used a few thousand(?) walleye stocked into them. Seemed to work well with Lac ST. Anne and Wabamun. I am sure the boys on the southern trail could have rounded up some boats to help F/W with a restocking program.

Calgaryguy1977
03-15-2017, 09:46 PM
Will you need tags on PCR or it a free for all limit of 3?

WayneChristie
03-15-2017, 09:47 PM
To bad, it would have been a good lake to do some "catch and restocking" with. Lots of lakes in the south could have used a few thousand(?) walleye stocked into them. Seemed to work well with Lac ST. Anne and Wabamun. I am sure the boys on the southern trail could have rounded up some boats to help F/W with a restocking program.

these fish are near the end of their lifecycle it would be a waste of time moving them somewhere else, may as well let people make use of them.

pinelakeperch
03-15-2017, 09:56 PM
Will you need tags on PCR or it a free for all limit of 3?

No tags necessary. Wish they would've set it at 1. 3 seems a little excessive. Oh well, it did get a little tiring catching unlimited numbers of 16in fish.

Dr.Shortington
03-15-2017, 10:06 PM
Ha, figured some of you might like to see the new regs admin added a link to above. There are some significant changes this year.

They went ahead and opened PCR to retention as well as Burnstick and Glennifer and also 5 other new tag lakes including Gull.

Bow River regs were simplified and changed to bait ban catch and release everywhere from Banff NP to Bassano Dam.

It is now also illegal to waste burbot.

Also illegal to dispose of unused bait within 50 metres of water bodies except in a regularly serviced waste disposal receptacle.

There could be more too those are just the highlighted points at beginning of regs. Make sure you read through them carefully and understand them.
:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

tight line
03-15-2017, 10:16 PM

Agreed

slough shark
03-15-2017, 10:49 PM
umm have you ever fished PCR? got that a little backwards :bad_boys_20:

I have many times, I was referring to the fact that pike (and burbot for that matter) have a very low survival rate as the walleye eat that lake out of house and home, that's why you normally catch 95%+ walleye, very little make it out of the minnow stage in that lake. While a blast to fish with kids or inexperienced fishermen as you have overpopulated stunted walleye it is perhaps the most out of whack ecosystem lake I've seen.

slough shark
03-15-2017, 10:56 PM
these fish are near the end of their lifecycle it would be a waste of time moving them somewhere else, may as well let people make use of them.

Are you aware if the walleye are spawning? I've just never seen any other age classes other than those 2 years of stocking. I know there are so few pike or burbot that manage to live to a catchable size that those populations have such a hard time replacing anything that ever gets kept

West O'5
03-15-2017, 11:30 PM
Retention at PCR is long overdue,even my kids get bored of catching stunted fish that you can't keep one after another after another...Glad to see it.I think it'll be great for the lake and improve the quality of walleye that remain and if it makes a put and take trout fishery feasible then all the better.I like a good feed of walleye but would rather CnR feisty trout any day,walleye fight like a rubber boot and just lame for CnR,especially when they are a bunch of runt clones.

jednastka
03-15-2017, 11:46 PM
Don't forget:

Remember the disclaimer at the start of the regs. This is just a transcription, and could be a transcription error. The only real regs are the act.

Vic

Isopod
03-16-2017, 12:37 AM
Good to see Pine Coulee is open to harvest. My kids (under 15), plus my nephews, don't need a license to harvest, correct? I like to fill my freezer with these walleye this summer!

crosman177
03-16-2017, 01:17 AM
Dissaspointed with the bow zero catch limit and no bait. my fall fishing for whitefish with maggot tipped flies now has changed for the worse. Aug16 used to be a pleasure to wake to and race down to the bow and bring some whites home for a fish fry. Was it the whirling disease?? :(:(:(

iliketrout
03-16-2017, 07:27 AM
If the walleye were proven to be at the end of their lifecycle and if the test netting shows no natural recruitment of walleye in PCR, then I have no problem with the plan to harvest the fish and make use of them. It's unfortunate that the lake apparently can't support a self sustaining walleye population.

My issue is turning it into another put and take lake. Chain lakes is pretty much the same distance from Calgary and already offers this "put and take" opportunity.

At least if we are going to lose a walleye fishery that was ideal for taking kids and newbies to, they should stock browns and brookies in addition to the rainbows, and have a minimum length restriction so there is actually some chance of catching a decent fish in it.

RavYak
03-16-2017, 07:45 AM
If the walleye were proven to be at the end of their lifecycle and if the test netting shows no natural recruitment of walleye in PCR, then I have no problem with the plan to harvest the fish and make use of them. It's unfortunate that the lake apparently can't support a self sustaining walleye population.

My issue is turning it into another put and take lake. Chain lakes is pretty much the same distance from Calgary and already offers this "put and take" opportunity.

At least if we are going to lose a walleye fishery that was ideal for taking kids and newbies to, they should stock browns and brookies in addition to the rainbows, and have a minimum length restriction so there is actually some chance of catching a decent fish in it.

Size opportunity will come down to not only length restrictions but also proper stocking. People will probably have to fight to make it into a trophy fishery but I hope they do.

Browns or Tigers would be cool too.

Lornce
03-16-2017, 08:17 AM
Dissaspointed with the bow zero catch limit and no bait. my fall fishing for whitefish with maggot tipped flies now has changed for the worse. Aug16 used to be a pleasure to wake to and race down to the bow and bring some whites home for a fish fry. Was it the whirling disease?? :(:(:(

No, it was the Poaching disease. People not keeping to retention limits.

TROLLER
03-16-2017, 09:21 AM
If the water level stays where it is at at PCR there will again be no docks and nothing but mud along the shoreline so it will curtail somewhat the shore fishing.

As to the boat launch if anyone tried it this past yr they know it can and is difficult with the muddy bottom. Unless you have 2 people it is very hard to get your boat in the water.

The lake in it's current state is about 10 to 15ft. below normal so there is no way the boat docks will be put in this spring.

Might be a saving grace but most likely for no more than one or 2 seasons at best. First the burbs and now the walleye. :sign0176:

calgarygringo
03-16-2017, 10:15 AM
Remember your freezer limit of 3 is included in your daily limit. Fill your freezer and you fall into the dark side poaching group which I bet there will be many this year.
Good to see Pine Coulee is open to harvest. My kids (under 15), plus my nephews, don't need a license to harvest, correct? I like to fill my freezer with these walleye this summer!

goldscud
03-16-2017, 10:32 AM
Be aware of the mercury warning for PCR walleye

nick0danger
03-16-2017, 10:39 AM

I could be wrong, but i thought, anyone fishing without a license (those under 16) would share your retention limit.

calgarygringo
03-16-2017, 10:42 AM
Kids have their own limit as well as the over 65 group on provincial regs.

I could be wrong, but i thought, anyone fishing without a license (those under 16) would share your retention limit.

slough shark
03-16-2017, 10:48 AM

To the best of my knowledge there may be some breeding going on, pike and burbs definitely have some but the biggest issue from my view is the sheer number of walleye, very few live to juvenile or adult status because they are eaten by the walleye. I suspect when the number of fish in that lake drops off a cliff we will finallly see some sort of balance return to that lake, it may not be the most prolific lake but it needs to be given a chance to balance out at what it's capable of holding.

ORV
03-16-2017, 12:39 PM

opening day?
it shows as being open now from what I read?

MathewsArcher
03-16-2017, 12:41 PM
New regulations don't take effect until April 1.

MoFugger21
03-16-2017, 12:41 PM
opening day?
it shows as being open now from what I read?

Regs don't take effect until Apr 1

ORV
03-16-2017, 12:45 PM

ah! got ya.

Thanks

kevinhits
03-16-2017, 01:42 PM
If the water level stays where it is at at PCR there will again be no docks and nothing but mud along the shoreline so it will curtail somewhat the shore fishing.

As to the boat launch if anyone tried it this past yr they know it can and is difficult with the muddy bottom. Unless you have 2 people it is very hard to get your boat in the water.

The lake in it's current state is about 10 to 15ft. below normal so there is no way the boat docks will be put in this spring.

Might be a saving grace but most likely for no more than one or 2 seasons at best. First the burbs and now the walleye. :sign0176:

From what winter we have had, I would think the snow pack should bring PCR and most lakes up to almost level...I am hoping......:)

kevinhits
03-16-2017, 01:43 PM
Be aware of the mercury warning for PCR walleye

I will take my chances....In moderation is the best:)

kevinhits
03-16-2017, 01:45 PM

And PCR is closed March 31st....I can see people lined up everywhere on May 15th....Hundreds of people maybe?LOL

kevinhits
03-16-2017, 01:48 PM
Remember your freezer limit of 3 is included in your daily limit. Fill your freezer and you fall into the dark side poaching group which I bet there will be many this year.

x2....I can see this being a huge posession issue already....

Walleyedude
03-16-2017, 02:01 PM
x2....I can see this being a huge posession issue already....

They knew that when they changed the regs to 3 of anything. My guess is that not only do they not really care, they're banking on it. They want PCR cleaned out ASAP...

TROLLER
03-16-2017, 02:50 PM
Wayne is correct about the fish reaching the end of their cycle.

The walleye in PCR are not stunted they are a breed that grows to the 40cm size you mainly catch in there.

F&W biologist explained it to me a few yrs. back. Seems it was an experiment they wanted to try.

Now, it seems they have to harvest some to get everything back into balance IMO.

Sure would be nice if they would put in some perch and or white fish to help feed the pike.

goldscud
03-16-2017, 03:00 PM
I am struggling to accept this claim the walleye are genetically limited to 40cm.
My BS detector is buzzing loudly

kevinhits
03-16-2017, 03:26 PM
They knew that when they changed the regs to 3 of anything. My guess is that not only do they not really care, they're banking on it. They want PCR cleaned out ASAP...

I agree x2

They want it cleaned out of walleye as soon as possible.

azn_rice_man
03-16-2017, 03:49 PM
And PCR is closed March 31st....I can see people lined up everywhere on May 15th....Hundreds of people maybe?LOL

Where does it say it's closed till May 15th? On the new regs, which takes effect on April 1st, it states that it's open all year...

EZM
03-16-2017, 03:49 PM
Wayne is correct about the fish reaching the end of their cycle.

The walleye in PCR are not stunted they are a breed that grows to the 40cm size you mainly catch in there.

F&W biologist explained it to me a few yrs. back. Seems it was an experiment they wanted to try.

Now, it seems they have to harvest some to get everything back into balance IMO.

Sure would be nice if they would put in some perch and or white fish to help feed the pike.

What "breed" of walleye is that? I think the "biologist" you spoke to might have been sipping on the juice too much.

I was under the impression that Sander Vitreus (Walleye) are the only species of Walleye found in North America. I was also under the impression there are no other "breeds" from a scientific and/or genetic perspective. If that is true, then it would be impossible for a "breed" to exist and even less possible that that impossible breed be smaller at maturity as a function of their "breed".

Most, if not all, All walleye that are stocked into Alberta Lakes, come from other Alberta water bodies as live capture transplants. Walleye is not a common species to rear in a hatchery as far as I know here in Canada.

This is the most common, economical and effective method of successfully introducing this species (Walleye).

On another note ....

I am pretty sure it's against the law for the province to introduce a new species, into a watershed, of any fish that has not been listed with the Federal Fisheries Department. Ironically, and unless it's a top secret experiment, that the Biologist let you in on, the only listed species is that of the common walleye - Sander Vitreus.

On another note ....

Since the Walleye are at the bottom of the Taxonomic Hierarchy (the tree branches that define organisms down to sub-species) - doesn't that make it impossible to have other species of Walleye?

Am I wrong? If I am please extend my sincere apologies.

TROLLER
03-16-2017, 04:10 PM
Well then who can explain the small walleye that are in pcr.

I do not know anyone who has caught much over 40cm and nothing on the fat side either.

Lack of food? not enough vitamins in the food? You seem to know the answer so what is it then.

A mystery for sure don't ya think. Or could it just be a walleye that does not grow much over 40 cm.

livinstone
03-16-2017, 04:27 PM
Why is the changes going to fish the lakes out when 99 % of the people on here say they are catch & release and and the other 1% going to kill all the fish:snapoutofit::angry3:finally a good fish fry

idaman
03-16-2017, 04:58 PM

I do not know anyone who has caught much over 40cm and nothing on the fat side either.

Lack of food? not enough vitamins in the food? You seem to know the answer so what is it then.

A mystery for sure don't ya think. Or could it just be a walleye that does not grow much over 40 cm.

I believe this was explained at the beginning of the recent survey. Not a special breed.

kevinhits
03-16-2017, 05:01 PM
Where does it say it's closed till May 15th? On the new regs, which takes effect on April 1st, it states that it's open all year...

My bad....Just looked the regs up and we are fishing PCR as of April 1st for our limit of walleye...LOL

MathewsArcher
03-16-2017, 05:16 PM
It will open April 1 as per the 2017 Regs feel free to confirm with F&W

nick0danger
03-16-2017, 05:16 PM
My bad....Just looked the regs up and we are fishing PCR as of April 1st for our limit of walleye...LOL

The way i see it, April 1st go fish pine coulee and you will be fine. Want a real answer call Fish and Feathers.

kouleerunner
03-16-2017, 05:19 PM
I would have preferred a retention of 1 on pcr, if we are honest with ourselves that wasn't a healthy ecosystem, all those fish were stunted and eating themselves out of house and home, hopefully this allows other fish species to live and thrive. Perhaps we can see some perch or whitefish introduced as baitfish was sorely missing and the walleye eating all the pike and burbot should end.

X2

kevinhits
03-16-2017, 05:45 PM
The way i see it, April 1st go fish pine coulee and you will be fine. Want a real answer call Fish and Feathers.

Regs look pretty clear to me....Fishing PCR beyond April 1st this year:sHa_shakeshout:

FlyTheory
03-16-2017, 05:45 PM

I've done some undergrad research on this and theres only one native species of worm in Alberta and it's only in the southern region. All worms in the soil are pretty much due to fisherman and farmers hahahha

FlyTheory
03-16-2017, 05:54 PM
What "breed" of walleye is that?

Since the Walleye are at the bottom of the Taxonomic Hierarchy (the tree branches that define organisms down to sub-species) - doesn't that make it impossible to have other species of Walleye?

Am I wrong? If I am please extend my sincere apologies.

You're essentially right, so don't be sorry. There could be morphs in different lakes because of genetic isolation, but if walleye are transferred into PCR then yeah they're not probably not unique. To comment towards person that you're replying to, no they aren't a certain breed, the population is just constrained from the amount of food source, or id assume (I've never fished PCR). It could be a few other state factors as well, ecology isn't black and white.

RavYak
03-16-2017, 06:42 PM

The size is most likely due to stunting because of lack of food.

The same thing is visible with the walleye they stocked in Wabamun which have had a very poor growth rate.

The issue with the walleye in PCR is not the size, it is the lack of recruitment that has sparked the change.

FlyTheory
03-16-2017, 07:48 PM
The size is most likely due to stunting because of lack of food.

The same thing is visible with the walleye they stocked in Wabamun which have had a very poor growth rate.

The issue with the walleye in PCR is not the size, it is the lack of recruitment that has sparked the change.

This is true!

the local angler
03-16-2017, 08:00 PM
with all this talk about the pcr eyes what about the burbot population? haven't been there in a few years, are they still doing good?

ORV
03-16-2017, 08:30 PM
with all this talk about the pcr eyes what about the burbot population? haven't been there in a few years, are they still doing good?

i think they were decimated a few years back

thanks to this board.

hopefully there is some in there still somewhere.

slough shark
03-16-2017, 09:58 PM

The population of both burbot and pike are quite depressed right now, they got hit hard by fishermen and then any chance of recovery is pounded by the walleye eating all the fry in the lake. It isn't the most prolific lake for food in the first place due to lack of shallows, weedbeds, huge fluctuations in water levels, water doesn't provide high amount of plankton... What fry do hatch are usually eaten rather quickly by overpopulated walleye, very few fish make it to adulthood so this change is long overdue, it'll just be interesting how quickly and drastic the change is

azn_rice_man
03-17-2017, 08:39 AM

Sweet! Thought I missed something! I'll see you there on the 1st! LOL!

kevinhits
03-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Sweet! Thought I missed something! I'll see you there on the 1st! LOL!

You bet..LOL..

Based on the weather forecast, I may bring my trailer out early for the 1st and take my boys out camping:bad_boys_20:

Habfan
03-17-2017, 06:47 PM
Really hate to see the PCR change, I used it as an introduction spot for newby's, mobility impaired friend, grandkids, morning fishery with neighbours, get the boat running in the spring etc.. AER asked for input until early March 2017, the Regs. must have been finalized and into printers by that date. Sad really, they did not want any input it would seem. I guess in a few years we will may have another put and take small trout fishery.
As other have stated opening days will be a gong show. Might be fun to watch if it wasn't so sad.
I would have thought that if they really wanted the walleye out of there, maybe a one or two tag system for kids etc. may have sufficed. At least that would keep the whole thing some what manageable.

You make it sound like they are removing the lake. You can still do all those nice things, and all your newbies, etc. can learn how to catch,clean and cook a fish to boot ! The only difference in a small trout fishery and a small walleye fishery is that you can keep some legally.

Walleyedude
03-17-2017, 07:04 PM
You make it sound like they are removing the lake. You can still do all those nice things, and all your newbies, etc. can learn how to catch,clean and cook a fish to boot ! The only difference in a small trout fishery and a small walleye fishery is that you can keep some legally.

That is so NOT true...

idaman
03-17-2017, 07:11 PM
One I've always been curious about, has anyone been stopped by a Sask fish and game officer on Cold Lake?? Our regs say you can fish the entire lake with AB licence, but Sask says you need a Sask licence to fish Sask side of lake.
Anybody?

Habfan
03-17-2017, 07:36 PM
That is so NOT true...

Well, when you put it that way, who can argue ??:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Walleyedude
03-17-2017, 07:51 PM
Well, when you put it that way, who can argue ??:sHa_sarcasticlol:

If you don't know the difference between fishing for walleye and fishing for trout, I'm afraid there's not much to "argue" about. :1041:

EZM
03-17-2017, 08:15 PM

That is correct .... lack of food and forage have direct and dramatic impact of fish growth rates. This is a known, common, and elementary concept no fisheries biologist would argue.

As a result, these malnourished fish will often, and commonly stunt.

Too many mouths to feed on far less available food.

It's not mysterious voodoo magic or an unexplained phenomenon.

The Walleye in PCR were likely transplanted 2N fry from LacSteAnne.

This lake serves to stock, through the method of transplant, many of the walleye stocking programs here in the province.

And, yes, I do support this as the most plausible theory.

Kings
03-17-2017, 08:29 PM
I would have preferred a retention of 1 on pcr, if we are honest with ourselves that wasn't a healthy ecosystem, all those fish were stunted and eating themselves out of house and home, hopefully this allows other fish species to live and thrive. Perhaps we can see some perch or whitefish introduced as baitfish. It's a bit much of a change in this particular lake but good to see walleye not being given the status of god in all of our lakes

X2

bobalong
03-17-2017, 08:34 PM
That is correct .... lack of food and forage have direct and dramatic impact of fish growth rates. This is a known, common, and elementary concept no fisheries biologist would argue.

As a result, these malnourished fish will often, and commonly stunt.

Too many mouths to feed on far less available food.

It's not mysterious voodoo magic or an unexplained phenomenon.

The Walleye in PCR were likely transplanted 2N fry from LacSteAnne.

This lake serves to stock, through the method of transplant, many of the walleye stocking programs here in the province.

I was not aware that any lakes with the exception of maybe one or two a year are being stocked and usually in the same lakes. I may not be up on the current stocking program but am curious in what lakes are the "many" stocking programs you speak of.

EZM
03-17-2017, 08:36 PM
You're essentially right, so don't be sorry. There could be morphs in different lakes because of genetic isolation, but if walleye are transferred into PCR then yeah they're not probably not unique. To comment towards person that you're replying to, no they aren't a certain breed, the population is just constrained from the amount of food source, or id assume (I've never fished PCR). It could be a few other state factors as well, ecology isn't black and white.

I know, I was just trying to "put it gently".

From what I've read - Walleye don't come in different "breeds" as the contributor indicated.

A biologist would have used the proper term "species" or "sub-species". He would not have described this as a breed (for reasons too complicated to describe using fish as an example).

The one, and only mentioned sub-species is Sander vitreus glaucus (blue walleye) and, ironically, since they are extinct, true sub-species status has not been determined. In fact, they believe this to be related to Meristics, in this case pigmentation and variations, for this species.

It has not, to this day, been ratified or confirmed.

Most scientists will point toward the most plausible theory whereas color variation in walleye in some watersheds is not that rare. Green Walleyes in Manitoba, Blues in Ontario, Yellow here out west, in ALL CASES were found to be one, and the same, species.

EZM
03-17-2017, 08:48 PM
I was not aware that any lakes with the exception of maybe one or two a year are being stocked and usually in the same lakes. I may not be up on the current stocking program but am curious in what lakes are the "many" stocking programs you speak of.

OK, what I meant by many was, many different lakes over the years, not many lakes every year. All the info in the stocking reports shows ESRD going "all in" with HUGE quantities of walleye all into one, maybe two watersheds.

Wabamun, Isogun, Isle, Pigeon, Gull, and a few others that I can't recall all at some point had transplants from LacSteAnne.

The problem is (general statement here) - in my opinion - instead of stocking a few hundred thousand fry in a dozen lakes - they dump millions into one lake - so, yes, if they all survive, they are going to starve and stunt.

bobalong
03-17-2017, 09:07 PM
OK, what I meant by many was, many different lakes over the years, not many lakes every year. All the info in the stocking reports shows ESRD going "all in" with HUGE quantities of walleye all into one, maybe two watersheds.

Wabamun, Isogun, Isle, Pigeon, Gull, and a few others that I can't recall all at some point had transplants from LacSteAnne.

The problem is (general statement here) - in my opinion - instead of stocking a few hundred thousand fry in a dozen lakes - they dump millions into one lake - so, yes, if they all survive, they are going to starve and stunt.

I was looking at Sk. stocking a few nights ago, didn't see one for 2016 but in 2015 they stocked about 40 bodies of water with about 10 million walleye. Sort of a yearly thing for them.
Always wondered why Sk. seems to always be able to afford stocking but Alberta only commits a very small amount of money for walleye if any each year. With the exception of a few lakes over the past 20 years Alberta refuses to allocate money for the short or long term commitment to our walleye fisheries.

mickeyjim
03-18-2017, 12:48 AM
I was looking at Sk. stocking a few nights ago, didn't see one for 2016 but in 2015 they stocked about 40 bodies of water with about 10 million walleye. Sort of a yearly thing for them.
Always wondered why Sk. seems to always be able to afford stocking but Alberta only commits a very small amount of money for walleye if any each year. With the exception of a few lakes over the past 20 years Alberta refuses to allocate money for the short or long term commitment to our walleye fisheries.

Boggles my mind too

Wes_G
03-18-2017, 09:59 AM

This seemed funny to me as well. I did that survey only 2 weeks ago. I would think the regs would have gone to print well before then, which would mean they had already made up there minds with what was happening at that lake. So what was the point of the survey?

RavYak
03-18-2017, 10:05 AM
This seemed funny to me as well. I did that survey only 2 weeks ago. I would think the regs would have gone to print well before then, which would mean they had already made up there minds with what was happening at that lake. So what was the point of the survey?

Probably two reasons. One being that if there were was ever a backlash to the change and the survey supported the decision to remove walleye then they could say that anglers agreed with the changes prior to being made.

Second reason was probably just to gauge what people thought about the change.

Most likely the change was already planned although they didn't make all the changes proposed in those most recent surveys so maybe they did take them into account.

FlyTheory
03-18-2017, 10:51 AM
I know, I was just trying to "put it gently".

From what I've read - Walleye don't come in different "breeds" as the contributor indicated.

A biologist would have used the proper term "species" or "sub-species". He would not have described this as a breed (for reasons too complicated to describe using fish as an example).

The one, and only mentioned sub-species is Sander vitreus glaucus (blue walleye) and, ironically, since they are extinct, true sub-species status has not been determined. In fact, they believe this to be related to Meristics, in this case pigmentation and variations, for this species.

It has not, to this day, been ratified or confirmed (these words are essentially synonymous btw).

Most scientists will point toward the most plausible theory whereas color variation in walleye in some watersheds is not that rare. Green Walleyes in Manitoba, Blues in Ontario, Yellow here out west, in ALL CASES were found to be one, and the same, species.

Yes I know this haha.

Bear7001
03-18-2017, 07:25 PM

I would hope you show a little restraint and not fill your whole freezer lol.

the local angler
03-18-2017, 07:32 PM
well in my mind the only good thing to come of this is originally the walleyes pike and burbot were eating themselves out of home with little to no food source, now what ever survives the onslaught for this free for all harvest there will be a new introduced food source called rainbows lol. now just watch whatever survives figures this out there maybe some hogs soon. lol think positive right?

RavYak
03-18-2017, 08:11 PM
I would hope you show a little restraint and not fill your whole freezer lol.

Considering he can only have 3 each he would have to have a pretty small freezer in order to fill it...

Habfan
03-18-2017, 08:24 PM
Considering he can only have 3 each he would have to have a pretty small freezer in order to fill it...

X2 :sHa_sarcasticlol:

the local angler
03-18-2017, 08:30 PM
maybe he has an icebox lol

winger7mm
03-21-2017, 10:20 AM
PCR the only lake in alberta you can get a walleye double header on a pickerel rig with bare hooks

iliketrout
03-22-2017, 06:48 AM
It really is a shame what is about to happen to this lake. We should get a pool started on when the first "PCR is dead" thread pops up.

huntsfurfish
03-22-2017, 10:52 AM
It really is a shame what is about to happen to this lake. We should get a pool started on when the first "PCR is dead" thread pops up.

Not if you like trout.:);)

Best way to clean it out is to fish it out.

iliketrout
03-22-2017, 11:15 AM
Lol, well I do like trout, but I feel that chain lakes fills the put and take opportunity down there. It sucks that the lake can't sustain a walleye population and I support allowing the harvest rather than wasting the fish. I answered the survey stating that I would rather they put the money into improving the spawning habitat or forage base rather than stock a bunch of 10 inchers that will be bonked at first opportunity. 2nd preference would be a lake similar to birch with Bows, Browns and brookies managed to a tighter limit or minimum size. But at the end of the day I understand what is happening and why.

What I meant by my comment is that this is going to turn into a gong show for the first month or two, which is the real shame. I wonder if F&W is even going to bother enforcing the limit - I mean they want it fished out so why even put a limit. From some of the posts I've seen not only here but on other social media, sounds like a lot of rules are going to be bent in an effort to multiply allowable limits and get a few extra lbs of walleye.

RavYak
03-22-2017, 11:34 AM
Lol, well I do like trout, but I feel that chain lakes fills the put and take opportunity down there. It sucks that the lake can't sustain a walleye population and I support allowing the harvest rather than wasting the fish. I answered the survey stating that I would rather they put the money into improving the spawning habitat or forage base rather than stock a bunch of 10 inchers that will be bonked at first opportunity. 2nd preference would be a lake similar to birch with Bows, Browns and brookies managed to a tighter limit or minimum size. But at the end of the day I understand what is happening and why.

What I meant by my comment is that this is going to turn into a gong show for the first month or two, which is the real shame. I wonder if F&W is even going to bother enforcing the limit - I mean they want it fished out so why even put a limit. From some of the posts I've seen not only here but on other social media, sounds like a lot of rules are going to be bent in an effort to multiply allowable limits and get a few extra lbs of walleye.

People should be fighting for PCR to become a trophy trout fishery which means stocking lower numbers and having reduced catch limits with size restrictions.

It will probably become catch and keep but if people fight for it(start sending emails, go to any meetings in the area etc) they might be able to persuade AEP to turn it into a trophy fishery. Alberta needs more good trout lakes that don't have to rely on aeration. Taking a small pond and adding a aerator doesn't make a "trophy" lake.

huntsfurfish
03-22-2017, 12:14 PM
People should be fighting for PCR to become a trophy trout fishery which means stocking lower numbers and having reduced catch limits with size restrictions.

It will probably become catch and keep but if people fight for it(start sending emails, go to any meetings in the area etc) they might be able to persuade AEP to turn it into a trophy fishery. Alberta needs more good trout lakes that don't have to rely on aeration. Taking a small pond and adding a aerator doesn't make a "trophy" lake.

Bolded - That was a suggestion I made in the survey we have only Police and Bullshead down south. Would be nice to have another quality fishery.

huntsfurfish
03-22-2017, 12:18 PM

You are right about the gong show, have an old fella that likes to eat them so I might brave the crowds so he can get a few.
Then again I might just avoid the place till it calms down(if it even does:))
Do like the idea of a quality fishery though. Now is the time to push for it.

iliketrout
03-22-2017, 12:46 PM
I'm all for a push for a quality fishery. If anyone has any contacts or ideas, I'm happy to lobby for it.

RavYak
03-22-2017, 12:54 PM
Bolded - That was a suggestion I made in the survey we have only Police and Bullshead down south. Would be nice to have another quality fishery.

Yeah Police, Bullshead and Beaver the main ones down south but Beaver as an example was wiped out because of 1 bad year of aeration. These are small ponds with limited growing potential that see huge fishing pressure. There are the odd nice fish in these lakes but not like could be possible in a bigger water body like PCR.

I would also fight for a multi species water body, give southern AB a tiger trout lake and imagine going to PCR 5 years from now and catching 25+ inch rainbows and tiger trout. Something like that is very possible if handled right, people will have to speak up and persuade AEP to make it happen though.

huntsfurfish
03-22-2017, 12:55 PM
Honestly, I would not be surprised if it was made into a quality fishery.

Considering how close it is to Chain lakes.

RavYak
03-22-2017, 12:56 PM
I'm all for a push for a quality fishery. If anyone has any contacts or ideas, I'm happy to lobby for it.

I don't know who the best contacts would be in that area but if you just send your comments to the main email they will forward it to the biologists or whoever is in charge of those decisions down there.

AEP.Info-Centre@gov.ab.ca is the email.

huntsfurfish
03-22-2017, 01:01 PM
Yeah Police, Bullshead and Beaver the main ones down south but Beaver as an example was wiped out because of 1 bad year of aeration. These are small ponds with limited growing potential that see huge fishing pressure. There are the odd nice fish in these lakes but not like could be possible in a bigger water body like PCR.

I would also fight for a multi species water body, give southern AB a tiger trout lake and imagine going to PCR 5 years from now and catching 25+ inch rainbows and tiger trout. Something like that is very possible if handled right, people will have to speak up and persuade AEP to make it happen though.

Agree, also suggested the tigers in the survey, PCR way better place then Heningers Reservoir that was on the list.

fish99
03-22-2017, 04:24 PM
if there is not enough food to grow decent sized walleye , why would it grow trophy trout? if that is the reason they are getting rid of the walleye.

RavYak
03-22-2017, 04:39 PM
if there is not enough food to grow decent sized walleye , why would it grow trophy trout? if that is the reason they are getting rid of the walleye.

That isn't why they are getting rid of walleye... They are getting rid of the walleye because they aren't reproducing.

The walleye are small because of lack of food but that isn't because it is a bad lake, it is because there were too many fish stocked in the lake to begin with.

Also walleye and trout feed on very different food sources so comparing a lakes holding ability of walleye to trout is not possible.

Walleyedude
03-22-2017, 05:10 PM
The walleye are small because of lack of food but that isn't because it is a bad lake, it is because there were too many fish stocked in the lake to begin with.

According to my understanding of the situation, the number of fish initially stocked has nothing to do with the fact the population stunted. It's a direct result of the poor forage base. Add in poor spawning habitat for a number of reasons, and it creates a vicious circle for recruitment.

Walleye numbers are going to be WAY down, so I guess we're going to find out...

calgarygringo
03-22-2017, 06:21 PM
As I have mentioned in other posts the bio guys told me the bellies of most of the fish they have tested were full of bugs not fish type forage. Walleye need that type of food to grow and flourish and bugs do not provide that. Trout may make more sense if they leave it alone but as many of us have suggested why not add to shiners or similar to the lake and get them going.

RavYak
03-22-2017, 06:30 PM
According to my understanding of the situation, the number of fish initially stocked has nothing to do with the fact the population stunted. It's a direct result of the poor forage base. Add in poor spawning habitat for a number of reasons, and it creates a vicious circle for recruitment.

Walleye numbers are going to be WAY down, so I guess we're going to find out...

Number of fish stocked has to be determined based on a lakes capacity. If it has a reduced forage base then you have to take that into account and stock less fish in order to maintain a healthy ecosystem. Simply put you cannot blame the lake and not the people that stocked it. They should have stocked fewer fish and spread it out over a longer period of time making sure the lake was staying in a healthy state with forage base remaining intact and fish growing at a reasonable rate.

This is far from the only time this has happened here in AB, look no farther then Wabamun for a recent example. The lakes forage base was already taxed due to a large pike population and they decided to dump 11 million walleye in. It destroyed the remaining forage base, stunting the walleye and killing off a large portion of the pike population.

AlbertaCutthroat
03-22-2017, 08:26 PM
As I have mentioned in other posts the bio guys told me the bellies of most of the fish they have tested were full of bugs not fish type forage. Walleye need that type of food to grow and flourish and bugs do not provide that. Trout may make more sense if they leave it alone but as many of us have suggested why not add to shiners or similar to the lake and get them going.

So many backyard bios on this site, the lake was indeed stocked with shiners and other forage fish. The government backed out of stocking the recomended lake whitefish which would have provided additional forage. It failed, possibly due to walleye being added too quickly, possibly because of plankton, possibly because it was just a poor walleye lake, possibly because of water management considerations, etc. The lake is not there for recreation, it's main intention is water storage. I think trout is a dumb idea as well due to cost, should have managed for native pike and burbot. Oh well, at least another trout lake should thin out the city people further south.

huntsfurfish
03-23-2017, 12:16 AM
So many backyard bios on this site, the lake was indeed stocked with shiners and other forage fish. The government backed out of stocking the recomended lake whitefish which would have provided additional forage. It failed, possibly due to walleye being added too quickly, possibly because of plankton, possibly because it was just a poor walleye lake, possibly because of water management considerations, etc. The lake is not there for recreation, it's main intention is water storage. I think trout is a dumb idea as well due to cost, should have managed for native pike and burbot. Oh well, at least another trout lake should thin out the city people further south.

Pretty much agree with the bolded part.

huntsfurfish
03-23-2017, 12:24 AM
Number of fish stocked has to be determined based on a lakes capacity. If it has a reduced forage base then you have to take that into account and stock less fish in order to maintain a healthy ecosystem. Simply put you cannot blame the lake and not the people that stocked it. They should have stocked fewer fish and spread it out over a longer period of time making sure the lake was staying in a healthy state with forage base remaining intact and fish growing at a reasonable rate.

This is far from the only time this has happened here in AB, look no farther then Wabamun for a recent example. The lakes forage base was already taxed due to a large pike population and they decided to dump 11 million walleye in. It destroyed the remaining forage base, stunting the walleye and killing off a large portion of the pike population.

You dont stock lightly especially if you are starting out a new fishery or have a crashed fishery. You stock pretty heavy with hopes that they "take" and in good numbers. When they do people get ticked off, but then again, when it fails to "take" they get ticked off too.:);) Cant win.
On the other hand it doesnt hurt to discuss it.

Walleyedude
03-23-2017, 06:44 AM
You dont stock lightly especially if you are starting out a new fishery or have a crashed fishery. You stock pretty heavy with hopes that they "take" and in good numbers. When they do people get ticked off, but then again, when it fails to "take" they get ticked off too.:);) Cant win.
On the other hand it doesnt hurt to discuss it.

I can see RavYak's point that the large initial stocking had an affect on the population stunting, and I would agree to a point. However, I think with a sufficient forage base, the effect would have been drastically reduced.

Your point here is my understanding as well. You have to stock planning for the worst, and hope for the best. Knowing that the lake wasn't exactly ideal, I would have erred on the side of larger numbers too, expecting a high mortality rate.

It's a real testament to how hearty the walleye is that they survived in such numbers in a lake without a sufficient forage base and adapted to the limited available food source. Had there been a healthy bait fish population, PCR might have been a pretty amazing fishery...

iliketrout
03-23-2017, 06:49 AM
I don't know who the best contacts would be in that area but if you just send your comments to the main email they will forward it to the biologists or whoever is in charge of those decisions down there.

AEP.Info-Centre@gov.ab.ca is the email.

Thanks Rav, will do.

huntsfurfish
03-23-2017, 12:07 PM
Thanks Rav, will do.

contacting Trout Unlimited might be good too.

Rainbowpike
03-23-2017, 12:22 PM
Is it just me, or did they not put Chain Lakes Reservoir in the lakes/streams for ES1? It would be a pity if they actually stopped stocking trout there.

walking buffalo
03-23-2017, 12:38 PM
AER asked for input until early March 2017, the Regs. must have been finalized and into printers by that date. Sad really, they did not want any input it would seem.

Probably two reasons. One being that if there were was ever a backlash to the change and the survey supported the decision to remove walleye then they could say that anglers agreed with the changes prior to being made.

Second reason was probably just to gauge what people thought about the change.

Most likely the change was already planned although they didn't make all the changes proposed in those most recent surveys so maybe they did take them into account.

This is probably the largest issue revealed in the new regulations.

Ignore it and face the loss of stakeholder input for a LONG time....

There is no question that this survey was produced AFTER the regulations were sent to committee for approval. Those that took the survey were Trolled!

Rav,

Your explanations, while possible, are indicative of an autocratic system, which may actually be functioning outside of the law. There is a legal obligation for the government to consult with the people of Alberta. Using post-mortem surveys will not satisfy a judicial review of the government's consultation obligation. I don't doubt at all that this WAS an attempt to fill the requirement, but one that in all likelihood would not stand up in court. Someone at F&W dropped the can, worms everywhere.

As importantly, why is F&W spending critically endangered funds for a survey that
is irrelevant?

Someone should look very deep into this situation with the surveys.
Pressure from the stakeholders to get the consultation process horse first is necessary for real pubic input to exist in any future management decisions.

Bitch all you want here, spend your nickel, but if the recreational fishing community doesn't get F&W in order regarding consultation, it is all pointless.

slough shark
03-23-2017, 12:41 PM
Agree, also suggested the tigers in the survey, PCR way better place then Heningers Reservoir that was on the list.

Heninger has a lot better potential for trophy trout fishery than pcr. The forage base there is so big that it can be hard to catch fish simply because they are always full in fact they could stock it with a lot more fish no problem on the food side of things, it also has WAY lower pressure, 2 years ago I was the only one there on the July long weekend. Pcr has and will continue to have burbs, pike and walleye which probably doesn't bode well for trout.

huntsfurfish
03-23-2017, 01:49 PM
Heninger has a lot better potential for trophy trout fishery than pcr. The forage base there is so big that it can be hard to catch fish simply because they are always full in fact they could stock it with a lot more fish no problem on the food side of things, it also has WAY lower pressure, 2 years ago I was the only one there on the July long weekend. Pcr has and will continue to have burbs, pike and walleye which probably doesn't bode well for trout.

Ideally, I would like to see both get some, but if it was only one then PCR would likely be better in that it would serve more communities and support more fish.

ORV
03-24-2017, 03:29 PM
anyone know what the ice conditions are at pcr?

will it be be open next weekend other than at the bridge?

Orv.

Habfan
03-24-2017, 07:29 PM

Diefenbaker Lake in Sask has lots of predators, ask the Conrads about the 40 lb rainbows they catch. Crawling Valley had lots of pike and burbot, rainbows were over 10 lbs when the government decided to stock it with walleye and shut it down to retention. The walleye are old and not reproductive in Pine. That is the only reason they are opening it up to retention. In a couple years when the walleye die off from old age, people will being saying that it was fished out and the government screwed up a good lake, to take people out to teach them to fish for walleye. The fact remains that these fish are not going to reproduce, are going to die, are not going to grow without baitfish present ! The only good thing the gov. did with this lake is open it to retention before it is to late. Then again the shores might be covered with dead fish when the ice melts !!