PDA

View Full Version : Waterton Lakes shutdown to powerboats

kouleerunner
03-16-2017, 04:57 PM
For anyone thinking about fishing Lakers at Waterton... Better make alternate plans.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/waterton/plan/plan9/moule-envahissante-invasive-mussel.aspx

norcodh
03-16-2017, 08:23 PM
Wow!! Loved that lake!

RavYak
03-16-2017, 09:04 PM
Still can use my kayak! Never fished there though cause it is so far away.

bessiedog
03-16-2017, 09:36 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugely underused laker spot!

Aaaagh!!!!!

kouleerunner
03-16-2017, 11:30 PM
It figures, I was just getting the boat set up for Lakers, and the best spots just keep getting shut down. First, glacier national, then Blackfoot reserve, now Waterton. Pretty soon, the entire east slopes will be closed! :angry3::shark:

dutchpirate
03-17-2017, 06:15 AM
Darn, was planning on making the trip there this year too! I don't mind the proactive approach to AIS, though. I see that boats based there (Parks Can and tour boats) are still allowed and will be closely monitored, might be an opportunity for an outfitter to establish a small fleet of boats there to allow people to fish.

Don_Parsons
03-17-2017, 06:45 AM
Question time please...

What is AIS ???

Don

Mark H
03-17-2017, 07:04 AM
Aquatic Invasive Species

wildwoods
03-17-2017, 08:31 AM
I haven't yet been to Waterton. But what on earth is the diff between a power boat and muscle powered craft when it comes to AIS?
Sad to hear that. One more opportunity lost for most folks...

McLeod
03-17-2017, 09:25 AM
What about that Historic tour boat the goes to the USA ?

dutchpirate
03-17-2017, 09:51 AM
What about that Historic tour boat the goes to the USA ?

That will still operate...

Motorized watercraft required for management purposes as well as the commercial boat tour operation will continue to operate on Upper and Middle Waterton Lake. These watercraft will be managed to ensure no risk of invasive mussel contamination.

Tom Pullings
03-17-2017, 12:10 PM
I haven't yet been to Waterton. But what on earth is the diff between a power boat and muscle powered craft when it comes to AIS?
Sad to hear that. One more opportunity lost for most folks...

I'm thinking it's cause motors suck water into their cooling systems?

JareS
03-17-2017, 01:23 PM
I'm thinking it's cause motors suck water into their cooling systems?

I beleive the difference between motor boats and paddle craft is that most boats stay in the water for days at a time (tied up to the dock) whereas paddle craft are generally only in the water when in use and get pulled onto dry land between use.

Zebra/Quagga mussel concerns are the driving force

FlYiNGuY
03-17-2017, 03:40 PM
They're just stalling the inevitable, next will be all southern AB reservoirs closed as well. Imagine the mess the mussels would make in the irrigation system...

Calgaryguy1977
03-17-2017, 03:49 PM
Well they better open itup to ****ing ice fishing. Sad

JareS
03-17-2017, 03:50 PM
They're just stalling the inevitable, next will be all southern AB reservoirs closed as well. Imagine the mess the mussels would make in the irrigation system...

Exactly. Lots of infected waterbodies in states and provinces near Alberta.. Several infected boats were stopped in AB, SK and other jurisdictions this last summer. My problem with the watercraft inspections stops is that out of the 8 or 10 times I passed a station with my kayak, half the times they were closed. Including one time on a weekday during business hours. If it only takes one infected peice of gear etc then the stops should be manned 24/7

Calgaryguy1977
03-17-2017, 03:53 PM
Exactly. Lots of infected waterbodies in states and provinces near Alberta.. Several infected boats were stopped in AB, SK and other jurisdictions this last summer. My problem with the watercraft inspections stops is that out of the 8 or 10 times I passed a station with my kayak, half the times they were closed. Including one time on a weekday during business hours. If it only takes one infected peice of gear etc then the stops should be manned 24/7
Not to mention the people that drive by the stops...
And they do even though it's illegal.

tomcat519
03-17-2017, 07:05 PM
The federal government really shouldn't react without considering all the options. As stated on other posts the boat inspections were on the right track if they didn't just hire young kids to do the inspections. They also needed to take it more serious with better check stops. As for motor boats, they can only get launched from the Cdn side whereas kayaks etc. can be launched from both sides. Don't see this as a solution rather I see it as a higher risk to fishermen in row boats when the wind kicks up.
Very sad to see this excellent fishery / boating lake ruined by bad decisions.
Lets hope its not permanent

Watch out Minnewanka - you're probably next ;-(

panko
03-17-2017, 08:38 PM
If Waterton has them all of southern Alta will have them and the oldman river and south sask.

kouleerunner
03-17-2017, 08:48 PM
Watch out Minnewanka - you're probably next ;-(

It would not Suprise me for a second if the feds shut all National Parks down to motorboat activities. It's the way they work. I'm all for protecting the waters from AIS, especially since I work in agriculture dependant on irrigation, but this might be a knee jerk reaction. Much easier to overreact and say they tried. I only hope Provincial parks aren't next! :thinking-006:

fish99
03-18-2017, 10:06 AM
they have been wanting to do this for a long time , to remove power boats from national park waters ,they have done it in jasper and now waterton . just needed an excuse and the zebra mussels is it. banff park will be next . i would be totally surprised if they inspect the tour boats or other licensed boats. just look at how whirling disease came to this province, introduced in stocked fish in national park.

kbobbeck
03-19-2017, 06:15 PM
It figures, I was just getting the boat set up for Lakers, and the best spots just keep getting shut down. First, glacier national, then Blackfoot reserve, now Waterton. Pretty soon, the entire east slopes will be closed! :angry3::shark:

the reservation is open to boats as of March 17,2017 according to the Blackfeet fish & game website. Same boat inspection sites as last yer and possibly one more down on southend Highway 89

kouleerunner
03-19-2017, 07:13 PM
the reservation is open to boats as of March 17,2017 according to the Blackfeet fish & game website. Same boat inspection sites as last yer and possibly one more down on southend Highway 89

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!! Thanks for the update :sHa_shakeshout: