PDA

View Full Version : A-Bolt Medallion

A-Bolt Med
02-23-2007, 01:08 PM
I was thinking about getting the Browning A-Bolt Medallion in 280 rem. but was wondering what bullets can be used for taking down Elk/Moose. I checked the ballistics for Federal bullets but was wondering what you guy's recommend for taking Elk/Moose.

Dick284
02-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Accurate bullets/ammunition is what prefer.

Having taken just about everything over the years with my 284Win(ballistic clone of the 280Rem) and all that with 139 or 140gr. bullets, I can't see why picking a decently built bullet, like a Nosler Partition, or Fusion in any similar or heavier weight would'nt suffice.

You first acheivemnet must be accuracy, then bullet, construction, then bullet weight.

Okotokian
02-23-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm SO your man "t". Look no further.

I've shotgunned for a while but am new to big game hunting. I just spent MONTHS researching all this. Two weeks ago I bought an A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 270 Winchester. I had been seriously considering .280 Rem as well.

Both calibers have taken plenty of elk and moose. Lots of people here and on other boards told me that. So did a friend who is a conservation officer and avid hunter. If you wanted a gun JUST for elk and moose, you might want to get into the 300 range, but as an all-rounder (which is what I wanted), they will definitely do the job. Everyone simply says bullet placement is the most important issue.

I only ended up picking the 270 over the 280 because of ammo availability. Just more of it around, and in more choices... though if you go to a big hunting store, you can always find what you need. I just liked that I could get a 100 gr. bullet in the 270. I thought I might want to hunt a few coyotes once in a while and didn't want to have to throw a 140 gr bullet at them. Not a big issue though.

hunterb
02-25-2007, 04:04 PM
The wife and i have been hunting with a pair of 280 for years. The wife likes noslers and i've worked up a load with Barnes blue coats (XLC). The wife has shot numerous deer,antalope,2 elk and a moose. I have shot a Bull elk at 300 yards,2 moose and loads of deer. The caiber is very accurate,Recoil is light and 140 grain bullet pokes out at 3000 fps. I own 3 safes full of rifles, the 280 is always out on a hunt with one of us. There are faster calibers out there and cailbers that hit harder but unless you do your part in shot placement all the speed and hitting power in the world is not helping you out. If your looking to keep shots on amimal under 300 yards then this is the caliber. The wife will argue on this 300 yards as she will take deer at 500 yards under broadside shots. But this is a lady that has shot out her barrel twice now. She shoots 2000-3000 rounds a year out of her browning A-bolt.

pintailslammer
02-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Man or man,,

I've been trying to find a used Browning A-bolt medallion in a 280 cailbre for years. I used to have a 280 winchester feather-lite.beautiful gun and a great cailbre.
I'd take the 280 over the 270 anyday.
Pin