PDA

View Full Version : shooting range fees

nube
02-23-2007, 10:50 AM
I just got my renewel form for the Sherwood Park Range. They were asking me why I have not bought my membership for it this year. I was going to write to them and tell them why but figured it was no use. I was out there a total of probably 5 times last year. For a range that is only 300 M I don't think it is worth it. I understand there are a lot of other costs involved for the other ranges and the club house but $70 for the use of the big bore range is getting out of hand I think. I have a few Farmer connections I am using now with longer ranges and access when I want. Any thoughts on this guys? I wish there was a fee for just using the big bore range.

Dick284
02-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Here we go again:
So what's $70.00 get you in todays world as it relates to shooting or hunting:
2 boxes of magnum ammo, or 2 boxes of premium non magnum ammo.
A set of decent rings or bases.
2 regular deer, tags.
3/4 of a tank of regular gas.
Now that things are in perspective, consider a few other things.
Has lease or rent on properties gone down or up in the last 24 months? And what do you think the SHPKFG pays for their lease on that property?
Has your utilities gone up or down in the past year?
So what do you think the utlitiy payments look like for the range?
What has the price for insurance done in the past 2 years.
Ever wonder what liability insurance costs a shooting club to operate?
But wait. If you actually probably attended their AGM you could have got answers to all the costs and revenue issues.

Again no body wants to be involved, or actually belong to a bigger part of something.
I suggest you do go to your buddies place and shoot to your hearts content. But remember, when his neighbors raise a stink about your shooting, or if they claim their prized bull got shot by you, you will be the one on the hook for something you did or did not do, it's afterall up to you on your own to defend yourself. You wont have Sportsmans Insurance to cover you if an accident happens while your shooting. Or the support of a group such as the AFGA to help you with resources or legal advice if someone makes alligations against your activities.
But after all it is a free country(well sometimes) and feel free to do what you want when you want, but if you dont belong to anything or have liability insurance it's you and only you who stands to get taken to the cleaners by someone with a legit or illegit claim.
Sobering aint it.
Kinda makes the range fee look insignificant if put in perspective.

Anglinfool
02-23-2007, 02:00 PM
$70 isn't that bad at all. I pay over double that for my range. Mind you, ours is 1000m with a pistol range and a seperate 300m range. :D

Ken aka Savage
02-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Wapiti Shooters here in Grande Prairie charges $150 per year, that includes rifle range out to 300 Meters, Skeet, Handgun & Small Bore ranges as well as an indoor handgun & small bore rifle range.
I think the first response laid it out very well, so I have nothing further to add.
--Ken

Okotokian
02-23-2007, 02:13 PM
I guess it all depends on what value you place on things... and that's always completely personal. At 5 times that equals $14 a time. Personally, I'd pay that. But that's because I don't have any farmer friends who's range/land I can use.

Never needed a range before, as I was a shotgunner. Just bought my first centerfire and went out to some public land to sight it in last week. What a hassle. One would think a provincial campground not used in the winter would be just fine for shooting.... (I'm kidding, it was just public land up near Kananaskis). Would have loved to been at a nice range. I don't even know any ranges around Calgary I could use yet... yet. But I'm sure someone here will clue me in onto some good ones.

geezer55
02-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Here in Lethbridge if you're a Fish and Game member, $55.00 family membership, you can pay an additional $20.00 per year per adult to use their range. If you are not a member it costs you $10.00 per day. You can get a pass at Marksman Sports, they should also be able to tell how to get a range officer. If you use the range you either have to be a range officer or book one to get use of the range.

Rackmastr
02-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Ya I've gotta take my Range Officer course thingy......that range is a very nice range for sure...

geezer55
02-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Range Officer course not hard at all . . . one evening. The one thing nice is that you get your swipe card to get past the electronic gate and you can go to the range whenever you like . . . you do not have to line up a range officer and make appointments. You do have to be an adult member of the Lethbridge Fish and Game to get the swipe card though and keep the membership up to date or they shut off your swipe card.

Rackmastr
02-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Ya last time I was in Marksmans I talked to them about a Range Officer course.....now I just gotta do it!!!

Jamie Hunt
02-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Rack, I also want to take my range officer course. I will take it with AHEIA. I will let you know when

Jamie

Rackmastr
02-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Cool man...let me know. If its sometime that I can make it up to Calgary it would be an excuse to get up there and buy you a beer afterwards...

nube
02-23-2007, 06:07 PM
It looks like I am out voted for sure on this one. There are some good points made here that I didn't think about. I just thought that $70 was a little steep to just have a place to shoot your gun. If I was a constant user of the range then I would feel I got my money worth but if I am paying for fish and game and whoever else that supports hunting and fishing then I am o.k with things. It would be nice to have a longer range to shoot at and wonder if they are are going to do that there. :D

jrs
02-23-2007, 07:41 PM
Hey Trev, if your interested i think they may be offering the course in March dow here. I could check and see if theres any open spots if your interested. I'm going to take it asap.

Dick284
02-23-2007, 08:14 PM
The sad part about extending an existing range and especially Sh. pk. the will have a bitch of a time maintaining a safety buffer, with all the acerages surrounding them.
If you do want longer Genasee is the range of choice, only hick up being their close to an hour west of Edmonton.
They go all the way out to 800m I do believe. 600m for sure.

Blair at Lock and Load has the lo down.

varmitr
02-24-2007, 11:03 AM
i feel somehwat the same as nube,
i am fortunate to have a range as far as i feel like driving in the yard to set up a target 1200yards and sometimes it has real targets.. my neighbours are good about, and i dont want to upset them with magnumitis, or i can and have paid to join the local FG club and im only allowed to shoot bigbore on monday evenings. not on weekends or tuedays or fridays.
just ask dick284, this range is not themost effeicient
i want to support 'our habits' but after driving on a 50 mile round trip just to crack off 20 rounds, seems a little hard to justify.

59whiskers
02-24-2007, 02:09 PM
I strongly agree with the first response by Dick284 and his comments. Shooting ranges every where need funding and volunteers too exist. I live in Lethbridge and the range is just down the coulee from my house. I consider shooters in Lethbridge too be very fortunate to have such a fine safe facility that is affordable to use run by a few dedicated volunteers. One round of golf with a cart on some of our better golf courses in the Lethbridge area is more expensive than my families yearly fish and game membership with range privileges. It is more expensive and time consuming if I had to drive an hour or more out of town too shoot. On occasion I hear the same negetive stuff about Lethbridge range fees and some of these guys that complain the most have more time and money and have never volunteered or contributed in a positive way to the organization.

Jamie Hunt
02-24-2007, 03:05 PM
In the big scheme of things all the range fees are cheap compared to what entertainment costs these days.
We just went for a cheap chinese buffet lunch and the cost was $40. No drinks, just water.

I hear we have a range out in shepard. (South east part)
I wouldnt mind joing. But I dont know any members. I guess if I really want it I will have to do some digging.

Jamie

Dick284
02-24-2007, 03:45 PM
As for what Varmitr said:
I feel for you Rog. that gong show at Ponoka, is a nightmare.
Of course there are situations which require guys to shoot outside of the range, if my memory is correct "Rocks" has the same issue at the range where he lives, it is inadequate for his purposes, but at least he joins and can be counted as a member of something.
The bottom line is what value do you put on your hunting, fishing, fireams owning, and other outdoor persuits.

If we all decided that the Club dues or an AFGA membership was'nt worth it, where would it leave the future of our outdoor life style?

J Hunt
02-24-2007, 11:17 PM
We just went for a cheap chinese buffet lunch and the cost was $40. No drinks, just water.We Who is we Dam poor grammer .Was i $40 all you :\

varmitr
02-25-2007, 02:33 AM
hi robert, not sure what you really meant in that comment?? positive, negative, other??

fallairfever
02-25-2007, 03:42 AM
I think Robert was just giving us one more example of why having to register before you post is a good idea.
Jamie 40 bucks might not be a bad deal, how many people did you feed??? ;)
As for the range at Shepard i heard the same. Sarcee fish and game had a pre-season sight in event there last year I think, I just sent in my membership maybe I will learn more soon.
FallAirFever

Jamie Hunt
02-25-2007, 10:08 AM
Fall. If you find out more please let me know.
As far as the lunch goes, there were 3 of us. Food was ok.
Not sure where Robert was going with that one.

Jamie

slopeshunter
02-25-2007, 11:45 AM
Jamie,

Here's a link to the Sarcee Fish & Game Assoc. fall rifle shoot. It was a good event last fall and we're going to do it again this fall (this link requires Adobe Reader):

Fall Rifle Shoot (http://www.sarceefishandgame.ca/pdf/Fall%20Rifle%20Shoot.pdf)

Also take a look at our calendar to see what events we do over the course of the year:

2007 Sarcee Calendar (http://www.sarceefishandgame.ca/calendar.php)

You should come out and join, it's a good group!

fallairfever
02-25-2007, 02:00 PM
slopeshunter,
sent in my cheque and application last week look farward to hearing back from you guys!
Cant wait to get my kids out to the fish pond this summer!

Jamie take a look at this group, might have something to offer you, meetings are only 10 minutes from my house in the NE a little far for you maybe but take look....
Fall

Jamie Hunt
02-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
Here is the link for the range just east of Calgary.
A bit on the pricey side. But still I would appreciate the ease of access.
www.cdtsa.org/ (http://www.cdtsa.org/)

Jamie