PDA

View Full Version : Early season Bow River fishing

Rainbowpike
03-23-2017, 04:42 PM
Hello fellow Outdoorsmen, I'm wondering if any of you have tried to fish the Bow in the early season. I'm planning on going there myself next week, what's it like?:)

Scott N
03-23-2017, 05:06 PM
While I don't have a first hand report for you, with all the warm weather melting snow, the river is likely to be pretty dirty. That doesn't mean you can't catch fish as it fishes fairly well at this time of year. Caught my personal best rainbow out of the bow in late March a number of years ago. I would guess that as the snow melts, it should clear up a a little bit later this week.

Gordy
03-23-2017, 07:52 PM
I went last Sunday. It was going to be my first time fly fishing. Or was very brown, very fast, and looked very high. There were people out there tho and a few boats as well. I decided to wait a bit.

Bemoredog
03-24-2017, 12:56 PM
Walked around last Saturday. River is high and muddy. Would be tough fishing but there isn't much of a crowd.

Use something big and flashy, get it down close to the bottom.

Rainbowpike
03-24-2017, 05:33 PM
Thank you for the replies! By the sounds of it, the river is fishable but it's not the best conditions. Planning to go on Monday, so I'll have a see for myself...
Thanks.

WayneChristie
03-24-2017, 05:51 PM
what part of the Bow? its a big river :)

Rainbowpike
03-25-2017, 04:09 PM
what part of the Bow? its a big river :)

I'm assuming from downtown, downstream to fish creek.

vital shok
03-25-2017, 05:50 PM
Very dirty today visibility sucked and it was pretty dead.I was fly fishing as well.

ReconWilly
03-25-2017, 06:01 PM
Buddy got a nice rainbow on a 5 of diamonds, and i caught a massive sucker on a cd9 brown trout rapala today...waters high and dirty lots of midges hatching ,i left the fly gear at home...

Deer_Hunter
03-25-2017, 06:58 PM
Almost went out today with my son however access seems rather limited by ice (especially on the southern shores.

I don't want my son falling in so we will wait.

The warm temperatures seem to be contributing to rising turbidity within the bow

This all being said - I am sure there are areas where you can find a clear ice free shore; also its not like its full runoff time and zero visibility.

Rainbowpike
03-27-2017, 03:33 PM
No school today, so I went to downtown and did some fishing. Fished for about 3 hours and caught nothing... As other people have said, the visibility is low and the water level is high. I would recommend that you wait a few more weeks before trying the Bow. Better yet, wait for a month and most ponds/lakes will open. Other than that, the weather is nice to go out and enjoy a nice lunch beside the river.
Thanks

Colinrowat
04-18-2020, 07:53 PM
Has anyone fished Mallerd point channel, any luck in early season

Fishing4Trophies
04-19-2020, 10:06 AM
Has anyone fished Mallerd point channel, any luck in early season

I avoid side channels and Fish Creek in the spring for spawning Rains. Best to let them do their thing

marlin1
04-24-2020, 02:22 PM
i crossed the other day in Bowness and have never seen the river that tea colour . Weird . going to see it again here shortly

Fattyffat
04-24-2020, 06:14 PM
Was at the bow on tuesday and wednesday, south part in riverstone Cranston.. Very brown though it should start to clear up in the coming days I hope.

marlin1
04-24-2020, 07:09 PM
Was at the bow on tuesday and wednesday, south part in riverstone Cranston.. Very brown though it should start to clear up in the coming days I hope.

I'm thinking it should get higher and more milky brown

WayneChristie
04-24-2020, 11:02 PM
I'm thinking it should get higher and more milky brown

Yes please! :sHa_shakeshout: