PDA

View Full Version : 115 e-tec on a 178 grew boat??

thorne
04-19-2009, 08:15 AM
just struck a deal on an 09 178 grew with a 115 evenrude e-tec. I have never owned a boat and wanted something super maintence free, fairly cheep to operate and reliable. I just wanted to know if any any one has any opinions on either boat or motor for fishing and dragging a tube when the fish are sleeping.

seahawkfisher
04-19-2009, 08:28 AM
you should have a lot of fun with that setup; plenty of power to pull a tube and e-tec's are great motors. you've got me by 25hp and my boat can pull fat guys out of the hole on wakeboards
cheers

thorne
04-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence....I never felt so vunerable forking out over 20,000 in my life buying something i had no idea about...of course i trust sales men 120% after all they always have your best interests at heart! Funny thing is I was planning on spending more but guy convinced me to settle on this for my first boat. assured me it was fine for 4 people.

seahawkfisher
04-19-2009, 08:43 AM
for 4; absolutely - but can get a bit tight for trolling without planer boards. on that note, just about every boat out there is tight fishing for 4 people. your setup should be pretty easy to pull down the road and that's an important factor too; i know for myself a big old 20 footer would be fun to fish from but could be less than fun to haul out to koocanusa (one of my favorite BC spots) going up and down all of those big hills
cheers

thorne
04-19-2009, 08:52 AM
Perfect point on the weight issue, in that regard was informed the e-tec has the best power to weight ratio, as well as lowest maintance...any truth to that?

sneekie
04-19-2009, 06:27 PM
I own a 17'8" polarcraft with a 115 e-tec. Have no problem pulling 2 tubes with the women or going fishing with 6 adults in the boat with coolers and a well full of fish. The only thing i found is the jump out of the hole . Check into the prop size and pitch for better jump out of the hole though if you think you need more jump there.Hell of a motor and takes all of 30 minutes to winterize.Have fun.

FishinFreak
04-19-2009, 09:37 PM
couple of buddies have that motor only diffrence we've seen between theirs and my 115 Merc is I get better fuel milage and about 4 mph faster on my top end; they beat me at take off though; all our boats are Lund 1700's

magcal4L
04-20-2009, 03:32 AM
A grew is an increadible boat, made by chris craft. my grandfather owned a 17 ft, I remember being on lake erie with him and dad with 3-4 swells steady as a rock.

Good purchase, this aint no bayliner it will keep it's value, the hull anyways. I am a forevinrude guy, what kind of engine is e-tec?

jjstar
04-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Just out of curiosity who did you get the set up from sounds like a decent deal and I am looking for something similar. I am looking for a decent Fiberglass boat and prefer evinrude..

Thanks

Shmag
04-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Sounds like a heck of a good package... enjoy!!!!

seahawkfisher
04-20-2009, 06:48 PM
e-tec is evinrude... as is the almighty johnson (well, both are BRP)
cheers

thorne
04-20-2009, 09:45 PM
I bought from Sherwood Marine and Trail...did a bunch of looking and got a hole earful of crap. These guys seemed to be the only ones willing to be up front, and get me into what i needed, not what fattened their wallet. They definately have my stamp of approval...!!!

PoorTurtle
04-21-2009, 10:12 AM
I bought from Sherwood Marine and Trail...did a bunch of looking and got a hole earful of crap. These guys seemed to be the only ones willing to be up front, and get me into what i needed, not what fattened their wallet. They definately have my stamp of approval...!!!

Sherwood Marine is top notch. I use them for my boats. they did my tranny on my 150hp. merc and was way cheaper and faster than any of those other money grabbing shops.

thorne
04-21-2009, 06:11 PM
I have talked o a few guys who say alot of simular things...one guy called them from the lake after his inboard crapped out, talked to him for quite while so he could get started up to limp back to the dock. Fingers crossed I'll never have to test that one!!!

Tides and Tales
04-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Perfect point on the weight issue, in that regard was informed the e-tec has the best power to weight ratio, as well as lowest maintance...any truth to that?

The power to weight ratio may be true, but the etec is not all its cracked up to be. Out here on the island, I know 2 different people who have traded their etec for something else because of constant problems under commercial usage. The etec is basically the improved version of the "ficht" ram injection motor that put evinrude / johnson out of business around the year 2000. Bombardier bought them out of recievership, and just can't let go of the 2 stroke idea. Also, 2 strokes carbon up if you troll on them for too long, the etec is no exception. 4 stroke is the way to go, I don't use a kicker, I troll off the mains. 4 strokes may be heavier, but that makes them last longer because they can handle hot and cold - it is a trade off! Yes you do have to change the oil in a 4 stroke, but it is easy, alerts you to potential problems, and gets recycled. 2 strokes just burn the oil into the environment.

JohninAB
04-23-2009, 11:51 AM
How is motor weight any bearing on how well they can handle hot and cold? Most sleds are 2 strokes and they run in colder weather than most outboard engines will ever run. Weight on the 4 strokes come from the design requirements of a 4 stroke engine. Not sure how having a camshaft makes it better able to run in hot or cold weather?

E-tecs are nowhere close to what the old Ficht motors were. Doubt if there are too many parts that are interchangeable between the 2 motors. Blocks are not even the same on them.

E-tecs have some of the highest CARB ratings going. Studies have shown that the E-tec is probably as or more environmentally friendly than a four stroke as their is no waste oil to dispose of as with a four stroke and its oil filter.

The new injected 2 strokes do not have near the same loading problems while trolling as the old 70-80's models did. A 4 stroke will never match the instantaneous torque of a 2 stroke.

That E-tec you bought will serve you very well and yes its first scheduled maintenance is not for 3 years and the motor automatically winterizes itself.