PDA

View Full Version : Open Water... No really..

jts1
04-20-2009, 12:52 AM
Yes its true. There is open water out there!! I have found it,. Its a little piece of heaven down south called Bullshead. believe it or not I was in my belly boat , fly rod in hand. Pelicans flying around. BUGS YES BUGS skimming the top of the water , then SPLASH!! The sound of a big rainbow breaking the surface and crashing back down. Damn near brought a tear to my eye. Played with trout this weekend let them rip a little line out. Remember that feeling of a 50cm rainbow on the end of your 5wt fly rod making 4 or 5 dolphin like leaps around your belly boat. Till you get him in and realize you are going to have to buy a bigger net. Tell your wives you have got to work in China , Lie , shoot run away . 3.5 hrs worth the drive.

SNAPFisher
04-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Awesome sounding! Thanks for the report. About 7 hrs from Edmonchuk....sigh. Little to nothing open up here yet.

madatter
04-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Spent most of Sunday out at Bullshead,managed 19 fish between 2 of us......not a great day but still pretty good!!
From what we were told fishing was better on Saturday and it seemed that what everyone said was working on Sat was not on Sunday......maybe fish tales!!:lol::lol:
No keepers but lots close.
I'm of the opinion that this lake should be catch and release only,no keepers allowed at all.
I can't imagine what kind of size these pigs could get to if the big ones were not all taken out every year!!!
It would be an incredible fishery!!

madatter
04-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Oh yeah quit telling everyone about our little secret honey holes down here!!;);)
The place is busy enough as it is!!:cry::cry:

WayneChristie
04-20-2009, 07:03 PM
anyone fish BH with hardware? Its not too far from me!:evilgrin:

jts1
04-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Guys were using spinners , spoons, fly rods , you name it. Everyone was pulling them in.

WayneChristie
04-20-2009, 07:29 PM
thanks J, thats only about 90 minutes or so from my place, may have to try it some weekday when its less crowded.

flower
04-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Guys,

How far from Calgary?

Flower

Nerdapres'
04-20-2009, 08:59 PM
3.5 hours from Calgary. SE Near Cypress Hills.

flower
04-20-2009, 09:09 PM
I guess that would have to be a weekend trip!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

shock'n'awe
04-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Awesome sounding! Thanks for the report. About 7 hrs from Edmonchuk....sigh. Little to nothing open up here yet.

5.5 hours but still a long drive I was out sunday and got a dozen

shock'n'awe
04-20-2009, 09:49 PM
5.5 hours from edmonton i mean

Couleestalker
04-21-2009, 04:47 PM
How deep you guys fishing the chronimides, I tried fly fishing them for the first time but didn't have much luck

madatter
04-21-2009, 05:22 PM
How deep you guys fishing the chronimides, I tried fly fishing them for the first time but didn't have much luck

On Saturday they were supposed to be a hot ticket so that's what we started with on Sunday.Very little action on them so we swapped to old standbys and they performed better.
Used spinners,hair jigs and rubber twister tails all with some success.
There was not much for bugs out on the water so maybe it depends on the hatch that day,seemed that the shallow water had a better bite goin!

bugslinger
04-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Fished BH monday and tuesday. Hammered them stripping leeches and fishing frostbite chironomids a foot off bottom. Most fish were hooked in 5 feet of water or less. Windy as hell. Ditched the float tube and fished from shore