PDA

View Full Version : bow river fishing spots and lures?

troutlover24
03-31-2017, 02:59 PM
Hey! I've been trying to fish the bow river and I've gone twice, got skunked both times. I am wondering if anyone has tips, or spots, and some of the lures that work. I have been using blue fox minnow spins and a little bit of Mepps aglia. I heard Rapalas are good, types and designs?? Thanks!:)

DisplacedCaper
03-31-2017, 03:50 PM
Been a few years since i fished the bow, even longer since I used a spin rod. But when I did I had some luck with the rainbow coloured Gibbs croc I think it was called. Also the Red Devils were a hit. But that was prob 10 years ago. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170331/78e6072ab06030b8404c6537139de76e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170331/d0e29b8b6bfbc9230cbf206129d2d8a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BowBoy75
04-01-2017, 07:47 AM
Small spinners and rapala trout patterns are great on the bow. Don't be affaid to toss some bigger sized lures either, bigger lure = bigger fish.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

DiabeticKripple
04-01-2017, 08:04 AM
Rapala F9 crankbait in rainbow trout works the best for me. The brown trout pattern works as well

the11fisherman
04-01-2017, 09:48 AM
Hey! I've been trying to fish the bow river and I've gone twice, got skunked both times. I am wondering if anyone has tips, or spots, and some of the lures that work. I have been using blue fox minnow spins and a little bit of Mepps aglia. I heard Rapalas are good, types and designs?? Thanks!:)

Looking at your name, I am assuming that you are fishing on the upper regions and not the lower regions? On the upper regions, you will get the good replies for trout and the species up there. In the lower reaches, you will get the replies regarding sturgeon, pike, walleye, etc.

new-bow-er
04-02-2017, 09:48 AM
Following

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

rena0040
04-02-2017, 10:44 AM
She's a cruel mistress. I started fishing the bow about 6 years ago and would get skunked probably 3/4 of the time. I'm now catching something probably 2/3 of my outings so don't get discouraged about getting skunked twice.

I fly fish it and have never tried tackle but may next time if it's still chocolate milk like.

MrWestNotKanye
04-02-2017, 07:32 PM
Spin Gear:
Nail on bottom
Brown fly with about 6"-8" leader tied 24" up line
Maggot on fly if legal
Bump along bottom in deeper holes
Learn difference between rock bump on nail, and hit of fish

vital shok
04-02-2017, 07:34 PM
Spin Gear:
Nail on bottom
Maggot on fly if legal

Read the regs if you want a ticket do this.

vital shok
04-02-2017, 08:09 PM
Do a forum search on bow river and you will find all the spots and things to try like rapalas 5 of diamonds panther martins ect the bow has new regs so make sure to check those out.

Spooner
04-02-2017, 08:12 PM
Read the regs if you want a ticket do this.

Plenty legal in plenty of spots.

Read the regs is right.

vital shok
04-02-2017, 08:33 PM
No maggots on the bow bro.just saying.Title says bow river fishing spots.Sorry for my bad clarification.

Spooner
04-02-2017, 09:50 PM
No maggots on the bow bro.just saying.Title says bow river fishing spots.Sorry for my bad clarification.

Some sections have a bait ban. Some sections bait is allowed.

Mr. West had it right.

The. Ow doesn't end at 22x like some seem to assume.

vital shok
04-02-2017, 10:02 PM
Some sections have a bait ban. Some sections bait is allowed.

Mr. West had it right.

The. Ow doesn't end at 22x like some seem to assume.please look at the new bow river regs that took effect yesterday.Pretty sure the bow is open from banff to bassano dam all year now and no catch and keep and bait ban.Maybe Im wrong and if so please show me the link to the 2017 regs and if Iam wrong I will apologize.Also mr west mentioned if legal and it is not anymore but in 2016 there was certainly sections.

Spooner
04-02-2017, 10:31 PM
please look at the new bow river regs that took effect yesterday.Pretty sure the bow is open from banff to bassano dam all year now and no catch and keep and bait ban.Maybe Im wrong and if so please show me the link to the 2017 regs and if Iam wrong I will apologize.Also mr west mentioned if legal and it is not anymore but in 2016 there was certainly sections.

The bow doesn't end at bassano.

kouleerunner
04-02-2017, 10:40 PM
Straight from the horses mouth,

"Bow River
Bow River (from Banff National Park downstream to Bassano Dam including Bassano Reservoir) – Open all year; Bait Ban,Trout and Whitefish limit 0; Pike limit 0; Burbot
limit 0; Walleye limit 0.
from Bassano Dam downstream to South Saskatchewan River
May 8 to Mar. 15 – Trout limit 2; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Walleye and Sauger limit 3; Walleye over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Burbot limit 10; Goldeye limit 10; Lake Sturgeon limit 0; Bait allowed.
Mar. 16 to May 7 – CLOSED

MrWestNotKanye
04-03-2017, 09:39 AM
If "live bait" is not legal, here is what you do:

Mash up the entire container of maggots and marinate your brown fly's in the gooey maggot mess overnight.

Then put the gooey maggot mess in a little 2" spray bottle. Add a little water, making sure the maggots are completely unrecognizable, and then while fishing you can spray your maggot perfume on your fly's.

Happy Fishing!

DiabeticKripple
04-03-2017, 09:45 AM
If "live bait" is not legal, here is what you do:

Mash up the entire container of maggots and marinate your brown fly's in the gooey maggot mess overnight.

Then put the gooey maggot mess in a little 2" spray bottle. Add a little water, making sure the maggots are completely unrecognizable, and then while fishing you can spray your maggot perfume on your fly's.

Happy Fishing!

Also a good way to catch a fine

MrWestNotKanye
04-03-2017, 10:02 AM
Also a good way to catch a fine

Anything in the regs about Sprays? Marinating? Scents?

cranky
04-03-2017, 10:32 AM

Scents are not legal where a bait ban exists.

Jigger
04-03-2017, 10:34 AM

Yes, its all in the regs. Have you read them?

Chief16
04-03-2017, 10:37 AM

the definition of bait (see Definitions) includes, but is not restricted to: corn, cheese, marshmallows, meat, maggots, meal worms, earthworms, wax worms, gammarus shrimp, leeches, terrestrial insects, the larvae, pupae or adults of aquatic insects (e.g., stonefly, mayfly, caddis fly), bait fish, parts of fish, fish eggs, scented baits, power baits and all additives that scent or flavour artificial baits and lures.

michaelmicallef
04-03-2017, 12:09 PM
Here l will give you a tip for lures. White twister tail " med to small size"
On a 1/4 oz jig head. Bounce off the bottom. You will lose a few but for the cost of them not a big deal. Other colours may work but that's all I used. When I get frustrated with a fly I go to the jig and twister tail.

Little Valy
04-03-2017, 01:13 PM
I'm sure glad I have Report A Poacher on speed dial

SNAPFisher
04-05-2017, 11:39 PM
Don't take the posts too seriously. Some on here tend to "add" an extra account, especially in-between seasons, to stir it up and put out their trolling lines. Some are more obvious than others...

Scott h
04-06-2017, 12:02 PM
Spin Gear:
Nail on bottom
Maggot on fly if legal

Now that brings back many fond memories from both the Bow and the Highwood :)