PDA

View Full Version : SK License Price Increase

RavYak
04-04-2017, 12:51 AM
There was some commotion both here and on facebook about the out of province license costs increasing to $60 here in Alberta.

I just found out today that SK has also increased their out of province license costs from ~60 up to $75 annual or $40 for 3 days.

Hopefully BC doesn't raise theirs more next year because both AB and SK did...

Bemoredog
04-04-2017, 10:32 AM
Hijacking this a bit, so apologies, but it's related.

When a conservation officer checks your licence, do they also usually ask for a piece of ID to confirm province of residence? I've been checked multiple times in AB and have never had to produce anything but my licence. Never been checked in SK or BC though.

THERICARDO
04-04-2017, 04:04 PM
There was some commotion both here and on facebook about the out of province license costs increasing to $60 here in Alberta.

I just found out today that SK has also increased their out of province license costs from ~60 up to $75 annual or $40 for 3 days.

Hopefully BC doesn't raise theirs more next year because both AB and SK did...

I noticed the 75 bucks this am also, fish 4-5 days a month in sask so no big deal really. And can keep 4 walleye in most places at least =)

RavYak
04-04-2017, 09:34 PM
I noticed the 75 bucks this am also, fish 4-5 days a month in sask so no big deal really. And can keep 4 walleye in most places at least =)

Yeah it isn't a huge increase but caught me by surprise as I wasn't expecting it.

I usually get out there at least once and have fished there every year for quite a while now, if I only end up going out once to mainly see family I might have second thoughts about getting a license this time though.

Brandonkop
04-04-2017, 10:03 PM
They're always increasing taxes in BC... seems like the only thing they know how to do. So wouldn't surprise me. After getting ripped off 12% PST on the used private sale boat I bought last summer I'm not too impressed. Too much government here.

saskbooknut
04-05-2017, 06:49 AM
Hunting and Fishing are an easy target for increases when your government is up to its eyeballs in debt.
Saskatchewan increases in licence fees are only the start, since they have only reduced the deficit by half in the latest budget.

JareS
04-05-2017, 07:20 AM
Unfortunately the money from the increase for SK angling and hunting licences goes almost entirely to general revenue. Normally $0.30 on the dollar goes to the Fish and Wildlife Development Fund with the rest going to general revenue. The revenue from the license increases only sets aside 3 or 4 cents on the dollar for the Development Fund

I looked up where our Alberta licence fees go, and $0.64 per dollar goes to the Alberta Conservative Association. Didn't say if the revenue from the increased licences is being spent the same

CNP
04-05-2017, 09:37 AM
Hijacking this a bit, so apologies, but it's related.

When a conservation officer checks your licence, do they also usually ask for a piece of ID to confirm province of residence? I've been checked multiple times in AB and have never had to produce anything but my licence. Never been checked in SK or BC though.

When you are fishing the only identification required is your fishing license. That is the proper thing...........we don't need to adopt police state actions to show papers on demand. When a guy gets his license, that is the time to prove residency.

Lowrance Fishburn
04-05-2017, 10:11 AM
They're always increasing taxes in BC... seems like the only thing they know how to do. So wouldn't surprise me. After getting ripped off 12% PST on the used private sale boat I bought last summer I'm not too impressed. Too much government here.

You paid PST on a used boat in a private sale? Lol, i'm sorry what? How does that work? I've sold cars, boats, you name it, and I never charged GST lol. Is that even legal? Sounds like a rip off.

Bemoredog
04-05-2017, 11:25 AM
When you are fishing the only identification required is your fishing license. That is the proper thing...........we don't need to adopt police state actions to show papers on demand. When a guy gets his license, that is the time to prove residency.

Yea, I figured. The only reason I ask is because, and I'm not condoning this behaviour, what's to prevent folks from just buying a resident licence and avoiding the higher cost?

This isn't really a big deal in Sask, but in places like BC if you want to fish any of the Class I or Class II streams I'd say there is major incentive because of how (ridiculously) expensive it is for out of province folks. They pay the same as foreigners. Which is kind of a kick in the balls to fellow Canadians, IMO.

Blastoff
04-05-2017, 12:21 PM
You paid PST on a used boat in a private sale? Lol, i'm sorry what? How does that work? I've sold cars, boats, you name it, and I never charged GST lol. Is that even legal? Sounds like a rip off.

I believe its when you go to register or insure these things the Govt gets you.

SamSteele
04-05-2017, 12:24 PM
I believe its when you go to register or insure these things the Govt gets you.

Get separate bills of sale for the boat and trailer. If you buy a boat out of province they will charge you PST when registering. If you have a bill of sale for a $1000 boat trailer instead of a $20,000 boat and trailer your PST will be less.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wellpastcold
04-05-2017, 03:58 PM
Unfortunately the money from the increase for SK angling and hunting licences goes almost entirely to general revenue. Normally $0.30 on the dollar goes to the Fish and Wildlife Development Fund with the rest going to general revenue. The revenue from the license increases only sets aside 3 or 4 cents on the dollar for the Development Fund

I looked up where our Alberta licence fees go, and $0.64 per dollar goes to the Alberta Conservative Association. Didn't say if the revenue from the increased licences is being spent the same

Alberta Conservation Association.

JareS
04-05-2017, 04:34 PM
Alberta Conservation Association.

Oops, thats what I meant! Don't want the thread to go the wrong way, I stay away from the poltical posts :scared0018: