PDA

View Full Version : caribou hunting in Alberta

caribou hunting in Alberta
02-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Was wondering if anyone knew if they were ever going to start allowing caribou hunting in Alberta under a draw system. My Dad used to work up by Kirby Lake and he seen them usually at least once a week. If they have only a couple of goat tags a year surely they can have a limited amount of caribou tags given out.

Rub Sign
02-19-2007, 04:55 PM
It won't be allowed as long as the animal is listed as "threatened" by the Endangered Species Conservation Committee. At the rate caribou habitat is deteriorating, I doubt that will happen soon.

Grizzly Adams
02-20-2007, 07:08 PM
I don't think we will ever see another Carou hunt in Alberta. The population still seems to be steadily declining for reasons no one is sure of and no one has a clue of how to stop it. I gather the Mountain Caribou in B.C. are in the same boat. Blame it on Global Warming.:rollin
Grizz

Douglas N
02-20-2007, 08:18 PM
j- not sure how long it's been since your Dad worked at Kirby Lake, but with all the increased activity here, the caribou sightings are declining drastically. I have seen some HUGE caribou bulls around Kirby over the years. There are heavy oil SAGD plant popping up everywhere. Hunting in general has really gone downhill there in the last 4 or 5 years. It's a shame- used to see some really quality animals- whitetails, bears, wolves, etc (of course never when I was hunting). I work there and have for quite a few years.

caribou hunting in Alberta
02-21-2007, 10:34 PM
j-, did you father work for Amoco(BP now) or Anderson(Devon now)? I have travelled that country for 25 years and have seen some fantastic bulls in that time. Most of them though, were just inside the Air Weapons Range, between the gate and Encana's plant. We also saw them on the "old forestry road" north of Lac La Biche, from just south of Round Hill Tower to Steepbank and on the Margie cutacross. In the past few years, however, sightings have become less and less. I do not give a lot of credence to the "development" of the area depleting the caribou population. I have had our indigenous brethren guarding the gates to the restricted areas, the "natural stewards of our Mother Earth" offer to sell me caribou!!!! Numbers were immaterial.

caribou
02-22-2007, 03:20 PM
yes my dad worked for BP Amoco he worked up there until 2002