PDA

View Full Version : Fishing - Nova Scotia/PEI this summer?

caltheim
04-04-2017, 02:34 PM
Our family is heading to the east coat (Halifax, Charlettetown PEI) this summer and I was thinking about fishing. Has anyone had a good experience with any charters out of Halifax or PEI? Specifically, shark or maybe tuna fishing? Maybe other deep sea fishing too? I'd love to go tuna fishing, but I suspect that it's pretty expensive.

Interested in your thoughts!

J0HN_R1
04-04-2017, 02:49 PM
My old boss used to enter the Shark Derby every year in Chester. Lots of charters down that way.

Try out in Eastern Passage, Fisherman Cove. A few decent charters there too IIRC.

Stay away from the ones on the Halifax waterfront, you'll pay more for the same experience.

If you can make it to Digby or Yarmouth, you'll find the best lobster & scallops on the planet... Scouts honor.

A guy I went to school with used to work his fathers boat out in Sambro, did the tuna run every year but it's a short season.

:sign0111: . :character0053:

bsmitty27
04-04-2017, 03:08 PM
I biked around new Brunswick and PEI 15-20 years ago. Went macral fishing off piers was awesom watching the schools come in. Also went down to docks and got in with a boat fishing for cod and macral went out for an afternoon caught a pile of fish took a cooler of fish home for 15.00.
Loved the people and the area enjoy.
Brad

Okotokian
04-04-2017, 04:11 PM
Wouldn't call this serious sport fishing, but when we were in PEI we found a number of lobster boats that would take people out in the off season (this was summer, I think at North Rustico) to jig for mackerel and cod. Cod were few and far between but the mackerel were plentiful, and they would clean and bag them for you. It was insanely cheap, like $45 for a few hours. Easy for kids. I probably caught 20. Never more than a few minutes without a fish on.

tight line
04-04-2017, 09:59 PM
Tonys Tuna Charters, are probably the best Tuna Charters around in PEI. Not sure if you would be able to get out with them, unless you book now and get lucky.. Tight Line Charters out of my hometown of Montague are very good as well- no ascociation with my handle on here..lol..catching a Tuna is something you will never forget- if you are not in good physical shape or have bad arms/shoulders- it may not be for you- the fishing gets better later in the year, but i have fought fish August 7th in back to back years!

http://www.tightlinetours.com/tuna/charters.html

http://www.tonystunafishing.com/

Barnes19
04-05-2017, 09:43 AM
Wouldn't call this serious sport fishing, but when we were in PEI we found a number of lobster boats that would take people out in the off season (this was summer, I think at North Rustico) to jig for mackerel and cod. Cod were few and far between but the mackerel were plentiful, and they would clean and bag them for you. It was insanely cheap, like $45 for a few hours. Easy for kids. I probably caught 20. Never more than a few minutes without a fish on.

I had a similar experience fishing out of Covehead Harbour. We had about 10 people on the back of a Lobster boat, jigged for Mackerel until we had enough bait and then we moved to a Cod spot and jigged for Cod. They packaged the fish for me to take home. One person on the boat caught about a 30lb Halibut.

caltheim
04-06-2017, 04:04 PM
Thanks everyone, great info!

Elk Chaser
04-07-2017, 06:32 PM
This the snout of the Nova Scotian fishing boat I get to fish off of. Runs out of Lockport.