PDA

View Full Version : WMU 300 LATE SEASON ELK

tracker2
12-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Anyone had much luck late in the season down south?

shotgun
12-11-2006, 05:48 PM
I do not have that draw this year but if there is no snow, there is no Elk. I do not think 300 has had much in the way of snow this year. Need a good dump to push those old bulls down the mountain.

jrs
12-11-2006, 07:00 PM
This going to be the official thread this year? I have had this tag the past 3 seasons and have yet to see an elk outside of the park. I once had a landowner call and say they were out (about 15 above and 100km/hr winds) but by the time i arrived (1 hr later) they had moved out. We need snow and lots of it. 1996 was the last year the elk really left the park. Nice scenery, lots of walking, but i've had no luck. You'll see lots of moose and deer though, keeps it exciting. Access seems relatively easy to gain as well, a nice change from other areas i've hunted.

jrs

shotgun
12-11-2006, 07:10 PM
The problem with that area is that there are so many places for the herds to hang out where you cannot get to them. The park, private lands that you cannot access and the good old USA (depending if you are on the A or B side). If you are on the Eastside you can PM me and I will tell you a good place to go if you get the snow.

If you have the draw just watch the weather channel. Only go if you see that there is about 1.5 feet of snow and 20 below. Other than that, sleep in.

Rackmastr
12-11-2006, 09:45 PM
JRS,
You're in the "A" side this year right? I cant wait to get out there after X-mas and see some of the country....

jrs
12-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Thats correct rackmastr, the good side ;) Thats the beauty of the hunt really, incredable scenery and always a chance at a critter. Hopefully this weather starts turning bad soon though. I like to get out at least 5 to 6 times and walk two or three different properties. Have seen lots of everything but elk. Probably go talk to landowners couple days after christmas. Maybe get a few extra days down there this year. If i get any tips i'll try to help you out as well, would be nice to see someone shoot an elk down their someday.

jrs

Rackmastr
12-12-2006, 12:39 AM
JRS,
I'll do the same for you...got a friend with some very strong connections down there, so that should help.....if that darn weather gets goin...

Jamie Hunt
12-12-2006, 02:01 AM
Rack, give me a call when you are going, I might be able to make it.

Jamie

jrs
12-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Anyone know how much snow they have along the park? I was out in 302 and 400 fishing Wednesday and couldn't believe how much snow there was. Would have been perfect hunting conditions. Any ideas? I like to walk the boundary with fresh snow, you often see the elk tracks come up to the fence then walk along it rarely crossing. We need more snow and cold!!!!!

Rackmastr
12-27-2006, 09:20 PM
JRS,
Hey what are your plans for tomorrow or Thursday? With this new snow and some good fog and blowing stuff I was thinking of taking a drive tomorrow morning. Let me know if you wanted to get together for a drive......PM me or post if you're around....

tag soup?
12-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Im pritty optimistic about getting an elk this year i've been getting this tag for 3yr. and nothing yet but like they say a day of hunting is better than any day at work, its great just being outdoors. look forward to all your commits. good luck hunting it would great to hear if anybody gets one. well just waiting on the weather:p

Rackmastr
12-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Lots of snow last night, but I had things to do around the house so I didnt get out there. Might take a drive for coyotes out that way tomorrow to see what we see....now we just need some really cold stuff to come in. Wish I was out there this morning though!!

jrs
01-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Hey Rackmastr,

Did you make it down there? I was off camping, just got back about a hour ago. There was lots of snow up high in the Crowsnest Area, not sure how much down towards Waterton or Pincher. I haven't heard of any cows being around as of yet, we'll see if the weather improves (need about -30 now. Good luck! The challenge has begun!!

Rackmastr
01-01-2007, 10:33 PM
JRS,
Made it out on Thursday for a drive and to chat with some landowners and firm up some permission. Saw a nice herd of 250 in the park....forgot my binos so I couldnt even look at big bulls!!
I know of one cow that was shot on Dec 26th....landowner was telling me about it. Other than that, the wait for cold weather begins.....heh

jrs
01-02-2007, 01:05 PM
At least you saw a few. I love to run into the big herd, amazing number of animals. On our way out last year we drove through a herd which was supposed to have 450 members (according to landowners and a rough count). I swear i took pictures but they seem to be missing right now. They all walked along the boundary just east of the highway, amazing how not even one crossed. There was only one legal bull in the bunch, looked like the big boys had moved on already. I'm going to try and make it down there later this week or possibly just phone the guys who always seem to know whats going on. Hopefully Mr. Wapiti makes an appearance and heads for my freezer.

Don't let the warm
01-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Last year a good bull which would net just under 400 non-typical was taken on the B side right around the 25 of December and it was T-shirt weather taken by a guide from Pincher Creek. This year another guide who lives down that way took a good bull should net around mid 365 typical, East of the river again, and it wasn't all that cold. But then again it helps to have access. I know of only one good bull on the A side (west of the river) taken earlier this year taken by you guessed it another hunting guide should go 340. Thats three good bulls and no-cold snowy weather.

jrs
01-02-2007, 08:44 PM
The bulls are always around, landowners can always tell me right where they are and roughly how big they are. The cows stick much more to the park, of course they wander out now and then but for the most part the big herd needs harsh weather before moving down low. My dads up to 3 or 4 yrs priority now waiting for a bull tag, should be fun. I know the one rancher has about a 370'' bull skull a meat hunter left him about 10 yrs ago now. Really cool someone would just leave it.

Rackmastr
01-02-2007, 10:02 PM
I've really considered starting to build some priority there for bulls....we'll see how the cow season goes and maybe will draw a bull tag in the future. I've got a 7 on my antlered elk right now, so for now I'll stick with that......but know there are some crankers down in 300....

WMU 300
01-03-2007, 12:55 PM
My dad got a 340 bullon the b side this year, will go 330-340, -28 in Nov, know of one other bull killed on b-side earlier in nov

WMU 300 Elk
01-03-2007, 12:59 PM
My dad got a good bull on the b side this nov, -28, should go 330-340, know of 1 other bull killed on the b side earlier in nov, have been hunting down there for past 6 years this is the first good opportunity for an elk we've had.

WMU 300 Elk
01-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Will post pic if someone can tell me how

Rackmastr
01-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Email me the pic and I'll post it....rackmastr@hotmail.com

elk pics
01-03-2007, 11:09 PM
e-mail sent let me know if oit works, it will be from potatobutt@saw.ca

59whiskers
01-03-2007, 11:38 PM
About 15 years ago one buddy of mine killed a 325 6pt bull after hunting for about 20 days total and the weather was nice and the bull was by itself. Another buddy of mine killed a big thick 7 pt bull in a willow and aspen jungle along Crooked Creek on the Birds Eye Ranch, it took 5 of us all day to get this one out, and the snow was deep in places, and this bull was by itself too. We used to hunt this area before the draws came in effect. It might be better now with less hunting pressure. Elk used to come out of the park like crazy when there was a north wind blowing and it was -30 below.

Rackmastr
01-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Here are the pics!!! Nice bull BTW....

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Rackmastr/DSC01030.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Rackmastr/DSC01033.jpg

jrs
01-04-2007, 12:43 AM
Awesome bulls. Have you guys been around willow valley in the past? Think i've met you before. Awesome pics, thanks for sharing. Thats the type of bulls that show up down there. I have a friend who harvested 6 elk in six years in the early 1990's late 1980's but he said its somehow changed since then. I don't think he's shot one since 1998 or 1999. Thanks for sharing the pics once again though, awesome bulls.

WMU 300 Elk
01-04-2007, 03:51 PM
JRS, ya we usually go down to willow valley each year, aren't members but enjoy the trophy day, hopefully get down there this year, as for the bull we were pretty happy, actually the first elk we-ve gotten waited ong time to get one, i have to say hunting 300 is one of the most beutiful places in alberta and man are there some nice, nice bulls in the park, all i can say is patience and praying to the elk gods finally paid off

WMU 300 Elk
01-04-2007, 03:57 PM
JRS not sure if i read your post correct or not but that's the same bull not 2 different ones , first pic is my dad second is me with the bull, cheers

Charmax
01-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Nice looking bull your dad got, congrats. Great pics, thanks for sharing. Your dad looks pretty cold.haha Looking at these pics just makes me want to get back out there. I can't wait until this next season.

Cowboy Al
01-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Congrats on the very nice bull.:D I enjoy seeing pics of big bulls like that with polished tips, he should make a wonderful mount.

jrs
01-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Hey PBHUNTER,

Yeah, i misread it but see they're the same now. The pics did look different. Still an awesome animal. I'm not a member of willow valley either, me and my dad were invited down by an organizer a few years back to show off a head and now we stop in to share stories and see how the fall went. Thats one of my favorite zones based just on sheer scenery in all of Alberta, elk may not be as plentiful as over in 400 or 402 but i still enjoy the lack of other people and nice weather (weathers a toss up). I can't wait to get out for my cow tag. Stuff needs to be fixed first.

BloodHound70
01-05-2007, 12:08 PM
That is an awesome bull!! Nice job guys.

BH

WMU 300 elk
01-05-2007, 01:28 PM
thanks for the compliments guys, he is going to be a nice mount , only problem is finding a spot to put him, told the oldman he'd have to get a bigger house, ha. JRS where do you hunt in 400, I've spent time in mill/gladstone/yarrow but didn't find any elk, just sheep and mulies with lots and lots o bears (esp griz-thought there weren't any , snicker) oh well guess the elk weren't shining on us. Best of luck with th cow tags i know i've spent a few Jan/Febs glued to the weather forcast praying

Duk Dog
01-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Congrats on a real dandy bull.

jrs
01-05-2007, 06:00 PM
"JRS where do you hunt in 400, I've spent time in mill/gladstone/yarrow but didn't find any elk, just sheep and mulies with lots and lots o bears (esp griz-thought there weren't any , snicker) oh well guess the elk weren't shining on us."

There easy to find until the season opens, i always see them along cherry hill and down along Lynx creek. A guy i hunt with was supposed to draw a cow tag this year but for whatever reason messed up his application. maybe next year. There does seem to be lots of grizz in those hills, a bit sketchy when following creeks or walking through berry patches.

The long term forecast is looking good now for my elk tag, hopefully it lasts a while when it hits.

WMU 300 Elk
01-06-2007, 12:55 PM
JRS, i'll keep doing my snow and cold dance for ya, best of luck.

jrs
01-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Anyone heard much? The cold dance has been working but the snows not as deep as i'd like. I have heard rumors they're moving down but not from the farmers directly. Any snow/elk reports down that way. I'm going to try and make it down Saturday morning before Willow Valley for a looksee. I saw a mulie buck in a stupid spot today so critters are moving around with the chill in the air.

jrs
01-21-2007, 12:03 AM
Well, i was down there today looking for my elk. Only saw bulls off the park (or really close to boundary, didn't go investigate as there were no cows in herd). It was a really nice day though, saw a moose, hundreds of deer, and went by Butcher for an afternoon of brookie fishing before the evening hunt (didn't hike around much as other guys were already up there after i finished glassing the bulls). Caught about 7-8, not bad. I have lots of pics but there on my backup camera, have to find a cable. There were about 1000 cow elk just inside the park but there not moving any time soon.

The bad news of the day was a discussion with a CO. There is a rampant poaching problem in the area this fall just to the west. Much of what unregistered user "hunter" was saying was confirmed and investigations are ongoing. Made my blood boil. Meat going to waste and numerous trophy animals being removed "legally" and illegally. I won't elaborate too much as most guys know what i'm referring too. Send another letter to your MLA about the metis agreement and increasing funding for our CO's.

Rackmastr
01-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Good to hear that you got out.....probably saw the same group of bulls that we saw last week....about 12 of them? That group of cows is giant inside the park.....at least 750-1000 I would say no problem.

Nice day to be out, but we need some of that damn cold stuff and lots of snow.....lol.....keep prayin!

jrs
01-21-2007, 05:25 PM
I only saw 4 in the group. I heard a big one was shot in the area last week though so the herd could have been potentially split up. The cow herd is amazing though, i imagine bison herds would have been a similar sight, critters as far as you can see..

Brady
01-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Wow what a bull. Congrats guys, you got a gooder.

Rackmastr
01-21-2007, 05:57 PM
JRS,
Thats what I was thinking....looked like the old buffalo herd pics you see....

There was a monster bull in the herd of 12 when we saw them last week....big and dark and long main beams...would like to know how big he was. Also a couple good average bulls when we saw them as well, but definatly a few over that 300 mark....

jrs
01-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Trev,

There was only one really large bull in the group, could easily scratch under his tail with his rear tines and seemed to be 7X7. The big one shot last week is rumored to green score 390'' and thats from a reliable source (friend of the guy who actually scored it). We'll see if pics surface. I'm not 100% sure what part of the zone it came from yet though, more info may surface. Thats a huge bull though.

Rackmastr
01-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Wow good to hear.....I think I may have to start building my wife in 300 priority....

nube
01-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Wow good to hear.....I think I may have to start building my wife in 300 priority

HAHAHAH Trev, you crack me up. Why would you want the wife to get one before you. She must shoot better I guess.
I'm in the same spot as you. I would love to start putting in but I have 6 years I think in my bull elk draw and don't know where to use that first before I start applying for 300.

jrs
01-22-2007, 06:29 PM
And once you get that taken care of there won't be any bulls out of the park. Thats usually the way it goes. My pops is at 3 or 4 priority in 300, there's been bulls around every year since we started hunting down there, yet to see cows leave the park in any numbers or for any amount of time. He'll probably get drawn for bull and they'll be cows everywhere.

Rackmastr
01-22-2007, 08:45 PM
That will be the way it goes JRS.....

Nube, I've got a 7 or an 8 on my Bull Elk.....and want to draw it in the Milk River....so I'll build my wife's priority there and maybe have a chance at one in a few years. And ya...she is a better shot than me....haha.....

But ya...just my luck, when we draw, the elk will stay in the park....haha

That rumored b
01-22-2007, 09:14 PM
B side, outfitted hunt, most residents will not get access to this area $$$$$.

Rackmastr
01-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Hunter,
Most outfitted hunts in 300 are residents as well.....if you're willing to pay Tyrell Duce, you can kill a big bull as well from everything I've seen. Would love to see pics of the bull though....

jrs
01-22-2007, 11:04 PM
Theres huge bulls off many of the ranches. I know theres some beauty's in front of the one guys house who lets everyone on. Hunters left them behind to say thanks for permission. They just sort or grace the entrance. Kind of neat. I have only been refused permission on one ranch down their but i don't think the lady lets anyone on, she seems to hate anyone even looking at her land.

Rackmastr
01-22-2007, 11:36 PM
Yea its not horrible...and one of the bulls in that group of 12 was definatly a BIG bull.....good to see....

Rackmastr
02-07-2007, 11:00 PM
JRS,
You been out with the new colder weather? Heading out tomorrow morning first thing.....should be cold but wish we had a bit coler (-40 lol) and a pile of snow....

jrs
02-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Good luck Rack, let us know how it went. My hunting partner had a misfortunate health complication last week and is out of commission for a bit so i haven't thought about it for a few days. If theres snow or elk reports i'll drive down, maybe i'll phone around a bit this weekend. The snow falls were not what i was hoping and not as cold as i'd like but it may be worth a look soon.

jrs

shotgun
02-08-2007, 11:48 AM
I have hunted with Tyrell Duce before. Not on a guided hunt or anything just with friends. His house is on a friends of mine land spent alot of time down there.

Jamie Hunt
02-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Tyrell was very helpfull to us when we got drawn down that way a few years back. Good fellow

Jamie

Rackmastr
02-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Got out today....there is a heck of a lot more snow than what there was last night...all powder but definatly a bigger dump than what was forecasted.

Saw lots of elk...in the park. Did see about 6 bulls out of the park, including a cranker....probably 350+

Saw a bunch of coyotes, and ended two of their lives. The 7-08 is still shooting good!!

Doubt I'll get out again, with work and some family obligations and a few other things in the near future. I had a fun time out there and did see a ton of game, just didnt connect....but it got me out there!!

Until next year!!

nube
02-08-2007, 04:22 PM
I would have thought this would be the year to have a tag. With the cold weather I thought they would be everywhere out of the park.
Rackmaster, I sent you a PM on the Alberta Game forum. Did you get it?

This was a great ye
02-08-2007, 06:41 PM
A 365 typical 7x7 was taken by one of the guides on the B side earlier, also a 380 non-typical had 50 beams taken B side as well by some lucky yank, it "pays" to have access.

I would be pounding that pole haven hard if you still have tag!!!! Best be keeping them big bulls for residents.

jrs
02-08-2007, 06:57 PM
It hasn't been too cold down there this year. We got hit in Lethbridge but it missed waterton most times. I'm going to try and get out once more.

Rackmastr
02-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Hunter,
I've got an 'A' side tag....and ya it really hasnt been that stinkin cold out there.......unfortunatly!!! Darn bulls are easy to find, but them stinkin cows.....lol

chuck
02-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Who was the guide on the "B" side that killed this bull?

Chuck
02-09-2007, 09:39 PM
This was on Crooked Creek??? sound right, bull looked like it was a total bone rack wouldn't have made it through the winter, said it was 375 but with ground shrinkage:eek , haven't seen pics of the 380 but its supposed to be a narly one.

Rack any picks of that 390 bull, post em up, we need these for field judging, so we don't mess up and shoot the 330 bull:lol

Rackmastr
02-09-2007, 10:49 PM
390 Bull? I never mentioned the 390 bull.....I saw a bull over 350 and a bull over 330, but havent seen any 390's and havent seen pics of any yet.....maybe you have me mistaken....never mentioned it....sorry

jrs
02-09-2007, 11:30 PM
I mentioned the 390'' gross rumor. Haven't thought about it in a bit, it was supposebly someone closely connected with one of the outdoor shops in Lethbridge. I don't get along with the particular guys who are rumored to have measured it, friend of mine called excited because he stopped in there and they were bragging it up. We'll see if it surfaces at any trophy nights or in any magazines. I personally have only seen one large bull down there this year (the others were good bulls). I believe i estimated it to go 340-350. The others were all good 5's and 6's. Just within or just outside the park, didn't go investigate as i have a cow tag. Rack probably saw the same herd at least once.
I may give up on the area after this season, a few landowners are getting sick of so many guys being around, still allowing permission but you can hear the frustration when you call them up. Probably just wait till my pops gets his bull draw in a year or two.

Rackmastr
02-09-2007, 11:47 PM
Yea JRS I think we've seen the same herd a few times...that one bull is over 330 I was guessing.....and then I saw a seperate herd west of where that one was with 3 bulls in it....that one had one in the 350+ range but not much over 350 I'd guess. Still some awesome elk around no doubt.....

I know what you mean about landowners....sure is something to be said about public land hunting vs private land hunting at times...

Soreneck Racing
02-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Well, tomorrow at sundown, the season will be over for WMU 300!

I was not successful in my numerous days out there to connect with (or see) a cow elk in legal territory.

After a rather frustrating day of walking/searching, about a week ago, I finally found a few elk-about 1000 of them-all safely grazing within the confines of the park boundries.

I took a bunch pictures, not sure on the posting process . . .

Some people were successful in this zone (300A or B), just have not heard anything recent. It would be interesting to hear what kind of harvest rates there were for this zone.

Soreneck Racing

Soreneck Racing
02-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Heres a picture . . . if it works . . .

i157.photobucket.com/albu...090458.jpg (http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/Soreneck_racing/P2090458.jpg)

Soreneck Racing

Rackmastr
02-21-2007, 12:01 AM
Yep...definatly had fun and saw a pile of elk in the park this year....I'll post up some pics that I snapped.....its so cool to see over 500 elk in a herd all talking between eachother...

jrs
02-21-2007, 11:40 AM
I never made it out again. Saw the same elk herds in the park but i ate my third or fourth elk tag straight. I'm switching spots next year. At least i saw lots of wildlife and some beauty bulls.

Rackmastr
02-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Some pics from this year's season.....it was a fun hunt for an undersubscribed tag, but doubt I'd ever use priority on it....

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Rackmastr/Rams318.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Rackmastr/Rams368.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Rackmastr/Rams010.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Rackmastr/Rams311.jpg

Didnt get any pics of the 'big' herd that we saw....they were way too far from the truck when we saw them, but easily over 750 animals......

fallairfever
02-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Trev,
That last pic is beautiful. I can think of a lot worse ways to spend time when most of the rest of us are only looking forward to next season. Good on ya for getting out there!
Thanks for the Pic
FallAirFever

hunterkurt
11-02-2017, 12:54 PM
has anyone been down in 300a. hows it been for hunting elk? going for whitetail down there too. any info on this place would be appreciated.

Pathfinder76
11-02-2017, 01:50 PM
This thread is 11 years old.

hayseed
11-02-2017, 09:00 PM
Well I heard of a cranker bull taken outa there...

Rumour is prolly a 390......

In 2007... lol...