PDA

View Full Version : New to Alberta

steadyeddy
04-18-2017, 09:52 PM
Hi all, I moved to the Drayton valley are back in November. I did not get to go ice fishing, despite having the hut, the heater, the whole nine! I'm over it, so we won't talk about that.
I used to live for Bass fishing back in Ottawa. My question is, with oodles and oodles of bass gear, are pike going to be my best bet for catching quantity. All catch and release, so although I like monsters, size isn't all that important. Just looking to kill some time exploring the riverbanks around Lodgepole, and hopefully even catch a fish or 2!

MrDave
04-19-2017, 08:45 AM
Welcome to the promised land.

Should have some​ luck with the bass gear. Brazeau Dam should be on the visit list. Lots of great river fishing west of there.

the11fisherman
04-19-2017, 09:41 AM
When you say bass gear, that could mean a huge variety of lures. Some bass fishermen prefer using jigs, others spinner baits, lots use crankbaits and rapalas of a multitude of varieties and of course we could go on forever....

Anyways, let's just say that if you have the above-mentioned fishing gear, you are well suited for fishing for pike and walleye and even trout depending on the sizes of jigs and rapalas that you have. Pike seem to be the go-to for most guys I know when they want to go out for pure numbers, but as said before, if you have the above-mentioned gear, you are well prepared to go have some fun in this province.

On a nice sunny day go to a weed bed and cast a surface spinner bait and you will be surprised at how much the pike will act like those bass you love.

neilsledder
04-19-2017, 12:19 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170419/2a5d279ef026a36b1a1afa632f1c0b3c.jpg
Nsr has some nice fish, lot of different types of fish to. This fish was caught just by Violet Grove last summer its 7+pounds. Braz is really nice to fish but I never had much luck, but that's not saying much lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steadyeddy
04-19-2017, 09:55 PM
Thanks for input, fellas! I sure do love these forums. Province to province, they all look identical, have different names, but the people are always beauts!

I'm not so much into jigging, simply because I don't have luck, due to being shore bound. Everything else is a go. Even have different nets for different species. Haha!

Thanks for the tips and I look forward to sharing some photos. Maybe even a "blind fishing date", as my darling wife likes to refer to meet ups as.

58thecat
04-20-2017, 05:57 AM
Going after pike heck you got gear that they will bite! Now get out there and get'em.