PDA

View Full Version : Northern Alberta Fishing

ks.snow
04-23-2017, 03:05 PM
Myself and a couple of friends were looking at doing an overnight fishing trip at either spring lake or kakut lake around the 12th of May. Wondering if anyone knows how the conditions will be. Id really appreciate you help!

Kyle

idaman
04-23-2017, 03:33 PM
Myself and a couple of friends were looking at doing an overnight fishing trip at either spring lake or kakut lake around the 12th of May. Wondering if anyone knows how the conditions will be. Id really appreciate you help!

Kyle

Likely be OK to ice fish but that's about it.

The Spruce
04-24-2017, 01:07 PM
Lakes are closed until May15th unless stocked trout. All Northern lakes will have ice on them past the 15th unless we get a couple weeks of +30 weather. Ice right to shore still.

Spruce

ks.snow
04-24-2017, 05:29 PM
Was hoping everyone wouldn't say what they did say, but was kind of expecting it. Thanks for the help though!

idaman
04-24-2017, 06:28 PM
Lakes are closed until May15th unless stocked trout. All Northern lakes will have ice on them past the 15th unless we get a couple weeks of +30 weather. Ice right to shore still.

Spruce

Plenty of them still open before May 15th besides trout ponds, just ice covered

KegRiver
04-25-2017, 08:19 AM
spring lake or kakut lake are both stocked lakes and are open to angling all year.

As of yesterday both were completely ice covered but they are both small lakes and that can change very quickly on such lakes.

I would expect them to be partially open or ice free by May 12.

We fish Great Slave in the NWT every May long week end. It's a much larger lake and much further north but there has always been enough open water on it for our trips to be successful.

TUFFBUFF
04-25-2017, 04:41 PM
Are you really from Calgary? your driving past a lot of way better water than Kakut pond. Its a dugout beside a slough, it should be open but I doubt the fishing will be any good.
Spring lake is one of the last to go, its smaller and protected from the wind with all the trees and in a bit of a hollow. With the way the weather has been here lately I would guess lots of that one will still have some ice.

Those would be the last 2 trout holes I'd fish that time of year in the south peace - Beats workin' though!

ks.snow
04-25-2017, 09:28 PM
Going to be in Grande Prarie working for the summer so thats the reason I choose those two lakes as they were fairly close and were stocked so I figured the fishing would be at least OK.

TUFFBUFF
04-26-2017, 11:52 PM
Going to be in Grande Prarie working for the summer so thats the reason I choose those two lakes as they were fairly close and were stocked so I figured the fishing would be at least OK.

I will PM you a message!

bucksman
04-27-2017, 11:35 AM
sturgeon lake completely covered in ice